Teams that need new venues

Evil G

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet, the Red Wings deserve a new building and it will be nice if the Pistons can play there too. It will be a big boost for downtown Detroit.

The plans look awesome. It's nice to see downtown/midtown Detroit revitalizing. There's obviously a lot more work to do elsewhere in the city.

That being said, I'm going to miss the dumpiness of the Joe. Walking around the concourse while you can see the bottom of the seats above your head. Just a grimy place.

sig.png

Speaking of new stadiums & stadium renovations...

ImageUploadedByCarolinaHuddle14060346559

Scoreboard or Seats? What's new?
3-year, $300M renovation project

Added this summer-

-2 HD video boards

-2 HD ribbon boards

-HD sound system

-upgraded lighting system

-added Wi-Fi

-added escalators

-added patios

-remodeled locker room

-remodeled team store

-remodeled entrances

Over the next 2 summers they will complete the rest of the renovation.

-remodel offices

-remodel training facilities

-exterior cleaning

-maintenance to playing surface (which is one of the nicest in the NFL)

-perform extensive maintenance to stadium infrastructure (most expensive & important part)

And some other things I can't remember.

BOA Stadium is only 19 years old, but since it opened in '96 all but 4 NFL stadiums had been replaced or renovated.

BOA has that classic football stadium design. Now it will also have all of the amenities & technological advances of new stadiums.

Before/After

sample.jpg

ImageUploadedByCarolinaHuddle14060346559

grass fields are obsolete. They only look good for the beginning of first pre season game, after that they get a big brown patch in the middle of the field. It also doesn't perform as well as field-turf because it never becomes a mud pit in bad weather, and field turf looks just as good as brand new grass.

grass fields are obsolete. They only look good for the beginning of first pre season game, after that they get a big brown patch in the middle of the field. It also doesn't perform as well as field-turf because it never becomes a mud pit in bad weather, and field turf looks just as good as brand new grass.

I disagree. I'd love to watch a Mud Bowl. Sure, field turf would look and preform better, but I'd love to see a really rainy game where teams have to accommodate the weather and field condition into their gameplan. It'd change things up a bit and make it more interesting instead of just playing every down of every game in the same condition like a computer simulation.

It's _____________ and Toledo still sucks.

[insert time here]

Week 3 2011: monsoon during game

0c22103c744fa6846a629355fe4f6552-getty-1

monsoon-bowl.jpg

Week 5: next home game

panthers-saints-1.jpg

Screenshot_2014-07-22-17-24-28_zps0e4dd1

Week 16: Dec 25th, 11th game played on field

Screenshot_2014-07-22-17-43-06_zps1ff61e

Screenshot_2014-07-22-17-43-29_zpsd81c75

Field looks perfectly fine to me. Despite a game being played just 2 weeks earlier when the field was a swimming pool. Then after 10 NFL games & a college bowl game the field still looked great in late December in cold weather. Where's all these brown spots in the grass & mud holes that show up after the first preseason game? This is the NFL, not some random high school. They can maintain the field throughout the season.

Additionally, natural grass is a much better & safer playing surface. Teams aren't switching to artificial playing surfaces because they are better. It's simply much, much cheaper & easier to maintain than a natural grass field.

http://topteamfantasy.com/nfl/artificial-turf-vs-natural-grass-what-you-need-to-know/

Knee sprains were 22% higher on Field Turf than on natural grass. Increases of 67% and 31% for ACL sprains and eversion ankle sprains (overextending the inner part of the ankle), respectively, were noticed on Field Turf versus natural grass.

Out of 1,619 players surveyed, 69.4% of players would rather play on a grass field than a turf field. Furthermore, 89.1% expressed that playing on artificial turf causes more soreness and fatigue to play on.

No one here is going to accuse you of distinguishing yourself as one of America's thinkers, but yes, Raleigh does suck as far as NHL hockey is concerned and has no business in this league but for the caprices of an incompetent software executive.

Raleigh actually supports the team pretty well, when they aren't a laughing stock. I was talking about the city in general, not just the NHL. It's a lame area.
Good. People in exciting areas often find better things to do than pay too much to attend sporting events.

Hey since Detroit is getting a building and Edmonton is and the Islanders are moving to Brooklyn. Calgary will have the oldest building in the league by 2017, not including MSG.

And there's a good chance they won't even have plans by the end of this year on a new building.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Those giant HD screens are such BS. I was excited to see the new Mariners screen in person last year, but all it is a giant ad board. I don't know why I thought it wouldn't be, but any possibility of seeing full screen video or replays on that thing went quickly out the window.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I disagree. I'd love to watch a Mud Bowl. Sure, field turf would look and preform better, but I'd love to see a really rainy game where teams have to accommodate the weather and field condition into their gameplan. It'd change things up a bit and make it more interesting instead of just playing every down of every game in the same condition like a computer simulation.

And then the player your team is paying millions of dollars to play at a superstar level slips and tears multiple knee ligaments. WOO! THAT WAS FUN! YAY CHANGE!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Those giant HD screens are such BS. I was excited to see the new Mariners screen in person last year, but all it is a giant ad board. I don't know why I thought it wouldn't be, but any possibility of seeing full screen video or replays on that thing went quickly out the window.

They've stated the video boards will not be used for ads.

The ribbon board will probably be a cluster:censored: of stats, league scores, & a ton of ads, though.

And then the player your team is paying millions of dollars to play at a superstar level slips and tears multiple knee ligaments. WOO! THAT WAS FUN! YAY CHANGE!

There are far less injuries on natural grass fields.

They've stated the video boards will not be used for ads.

The ribbon board will probably be a cluster:censored: of stats, league scores, & a ton of ads, though.

tell that to RG3

The ratio of the screen would indicate how much room would be for the video. Anything short and wide is going to have a lot of ads (or scores or info) on the sides.

Yeah, um, the problem is that stat doesn't distinguish between the gloriously pristine field in Charlotte and say, a mud bowl. I was only addressing the latter case.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Football's football; guys will get hurt one way or the other from slipping or landing badly. I'd rather teams play on grass than a convincing plastic facsimile of grass if only because of my own pastoral sensibilities, unless it's the grass at Soldier Field, which is the worst.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived