Teams that need new venues

Evil G

I just love that team's name and the legacy they still make money. What can I say.

Something that makes sense?

How is that not different than people who long for the Seattle Supersonics, Winnipeg Jets and Quebec Nordiques?

The Spirits of St. Louis to me was a very cool nickname and when you learn their owners are still making millions from their settlement with the NBA it is almost like they are a ghost team. Spirits of the Spirits to coin a phrase.

They wouldn't make millions if they tried to bring back the Spirits. Anyway, the Sonics, Jets, and Nordiques had fans. The Spirits didn't.

They're kind of like basketball's Hartford Whalers-a great and beloved identity package assigned to an unviable market.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it hard to believe a city like St. Louis could not support the NBA. The Spirits were a 70's team when Pro Baseketball was struggling all over the place. Today I think they could do well.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Not sure why people are saying Pistons?

Sure it's in the middle of nowhere and I'd love them downtown, but I'd still put it (and it's still widely regarded) as a top tier facility.

Capacity- check

Parking- check

Suites- check

Modern-ness- check

Not being a homer, I just see no need for a replacement.

Same goes for Joe Louis. It's the last of the NHL arenas that still gives you that old-timey feeling. A lot of exposed concrete, low ceilings, dark concourses, but it's still a good building. It's not obsolete or falling apart by any means.

sig.png

Not sure why people are saying Pistons?

Sure it's in the middle of nowhere and I'd love them downtown, but I'd still put it (and it's still widely regarded) as a top tier facility.

Capacity- check

Parking- check

Suites- check

Modern-ness- check

Not being a homer, I just see no need for a replacement.

Same goes for Joe Louis. It's the last of the NHL arenas that still gives you that old-timey feeling. A lot of exposed concrete, low ceilings, dark concourses, but it's still a good building. It's not obsolete or falling apart by any means.

I think it would be good for the city of Detroit to have the Pistons play in Detroit, and since the Wings are getting a new building they should share.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I've been to around 12 different MLB ballparks and by far Tropicana Field is the worst that I've ever experienced. You dont even feel like you are attending a baseball game. The lighting, field and game experience are all terrible. Unfortunately it looks like the Rays are stuck playing there for who knows how much longer as building a new park looks like an unlikely scenario. I have to say this place propels the Rays to #1 on this list. IMO baseball is meant to be played in open air venues (retractable roof is fine) not in dumps like this...

tropicanafield.jpg

alkaline-trio_logo-with-heart.jpg

When is the lease up for the Palace?

There is no lease. It was built by the former owner and is owned by the new team owner.

Huh. So they could move to the Red Wings arena when it's finished.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

They could and they probably will at some point. As I said, I'd love to see them downtown for a number of reasons (a lot more to do before and after games, I could be there about 45 minutes quicker, and I wouldn't have to drive). But as far as reasoning for it to be replaced, there is none. The Palace itself is a great facility. I wish they could just pick it up and drop it downtown. The area where the new Wings arena is going is quite nice and is surrounded by some phenomenal restaurants.

sig.png

And on topic, I'll just keep it simple.

MLB- Tampa Bay Rays. That place is disgusting. I'm still not convinced TB is a good market. They've had a very competitive team the last 6 years in one of the toughest divisions in baseball, and yet get horrible attendance. Move 'em to Queb..... I mean Portland.

NHL- Rexall Place. Not sure what the deal is, but when the team starts using the 'threatening to move' chip, it's usually getting pretty serious.

NBA- Milwaukee Bucks. That arena is terrible.

NFL- Oakland Raiders.

sig.png

Rexall Place isn't bad, just old. Great sightlines, low amenities. It's like a larger, less carcinogenic Nassau Coliseum. The other, more pertinent issue is that the Oilers don't have the master lease on it, which instead belongs to some mysterious cabal called "Northlands" which isn't a government body but isn't quite a private entity either. I think it's similar to the old Manitoba Enterprises that ate up all the Jets' gameday revenue.

The Bradley Center is a nice arena! Go fly a kite.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Rexall Place isn't bad, just old. Great sightlines, low amenities. It's like a larger, less carcinogenic Nassau Coliseum. The other, more pertinent issue is that the Oilers don't have the master lease on it, which instead belongs to some mysterious cabal called "Northlands" which isn't a government body but isn't quite a private entity either. I think it's similar to the old Manitoba Enterprises that ate up all the Jets' gameday revenue.

Rexall is great for sightlines, but not much else. I'm hoping they can get the whole new arena mess fixed up and build that new awesome one attached to a mall downtown.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Bringing it back to the Clippers for a minute...I found an old article from the L.A. Times dated from June 1996, in which Donald Sterling rejected a plan from Anaheim and the company that managed the Pond at the time that would have paid the team $95 million over twelve years (with about more than half of that in tax incentives). Another part later in the article (would I found somewhat comical) was that one of the executives from the Coliseum Commission wanted to a build a new arena in the south parking lot of the L.A. Sports Arena, costing between $85 to 90 million, with all the bells and whistles (luxury suites, club seating, and a practice facility). Remember, this was three years before Staples Center was built right up the street, and it cost about five times as much to build as the proposed arena at Exposition Park.

Given the Coliseum Commission's history of incompentence (just ask the Lakers, Kings, Raiders, and Clippers), it can't be a surprise that it never got past the planning stage.

http://articles.latimes.com/1996-06-07/news/mn-12752_1_sports-arena

The Clippers should have their own arena. As should the Jets. No two teams in the same league should play in the same stadium. It's just weird. The Lakers/Clippers are direct rivals, and while the Jets/Giants aren't really, there is a definite divide within the city of New York.

I don't know why, but I've always thought of the Jets as Brooklyn/Queens' team, while the Giants were Manhattan/Bronx. And they both play in the same stadium in New Jersey. Lol.

sig.png

When is the lease up for the Palace?

There is no lease. It was built by the former owner and is owned by the new team owner.

Huh. So they could move to the Red Wings arena when it's finished.

They technically could, but since owner Tom Gores owns the Palace, a natural disaster would have to destroy it for them to move downtown. I do have to ask now.... have any of you guys suggesting the Palace in this thread actually been there?

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

The Coyotes.

I don't care if it's been said already, it's worth repeating.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The Coyotes.

I don't care if it's been said already, it's worth repeating.

They just need a new city! They should go to Quebec (or Seattle).

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

Archived