NHL unveils official logo for 2014 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series

Luke_Groundrunner

The Minnesota Wild should play at Target Field

The Blackhawks should play at Wrigley Field

Blackhawks hosted a Winter Classic at Wrigley Field back in 2009. They elected to use the NFL Bears home field this time around.

I can see Minnesota Wild and Colorado Avalanche host a Stadium Series or Winter Classic in the very near future.

The Wild may either host one at TCF Bank Stadium or at the soon-to-be-opened Vikings Stadium. Otherwise Target Field is the place.

Here's a list of other NFL/MLB stadiums for NHL teams w/o a home outdoor game to use:

Busch Stadium (Blues)

Olympic Stadium (Canadiens)

New Frank Clair Stadium (Senators)

Bank of America Stadium (Hurricanes)

Columbus Crew Stadium (Blue Jackets)

MetLife Stadium (Devils)

Citi Field (Islanders)

Nationals Park or FedEx Field (Capitals)

Sports Authority Field at Mile High or Coors Field (Avalanche)

LP Field (Predators)

Investors Group Field (Jets)

I doubt if Angel Stadium (Ducks), University of Phoenix Stadium or Chase Field (Coyotes), Raymond James Stadium (Lightning), Sun Life Stadium or Marlins Park (Panthers) can support an outdoor hockey game. As for the Sharks, they don't have an outdoor arena within San Jose, but either the new Santa Clara Stadium (49ers future home), O.co Coliseum (Oakland) or AT&T Park within the Bay Area can be used for them.

Also the AT&T Stadium (Stars) and Rogers Centre (Maple Leafs), along with Marlins Park and Chase Field, are retractable-roof, so their roof should be open to qualify for an outdoor game. But Rangers Ballpark may also qualify as an outdoor NHL game site.

Why would the Canes play in Charlotte, which is more than 2 hours away from Raleigh? They could play at Carter-Finley Stadium in Raliegh.

Meanwhile, I found out Montreal's Olympic Stadium doesn't qualify for an outdoor venue because of its permanent roof. A Montreal outdoor game may be played instead at Saputo Stadium, home of the MLS Impact.

Seems doubtful given that Saputo Stadium is smaller than the Bell Centre. At least Molson Stadium would give them a few thousand more seats to sell.

I'm sure once built, Levi's Stadium in nearby Santa Clara would be considered a candidate for a Sharks home game in the Stadium Series. :)

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

I doubt if Angel Stadium (Ducks), University of Phoenix Stadium or Chase Field (Coyotes), Raymond James Stadium (Lightning), Sun Life Stadium or Marlins Park (Panthers) can support an outdoor hockey game.

How could Dodger Stadium support an outdoor game, while Angel Stadium can't?

And of course UofP, Chase, and Marlins Park could support "outdoor" games, they're indoor stadiums!

EDIT: The Sharks also could've used Stanford Stadium, which is the closest big stadium to San Jose until Levi's is built.

Archived