Fox Sports 1 vs ESPN

tv15

Thanks for your explanation. I didn't know a lot of that, but I still think FS1 and the NBA would benefit from a partnership.

ABC airs 15 regular season games and the entire NBA finals and will televise an increased number of games earlier in the playoffs. The maximum number of times a certain team can appear on the network during the regular season has been increased.

ESPN and ESPN2 will continue to show up to 75 regular season games as well as one of the conference finals. ESPN will increase the number of early round playoff games it airs.

TNT will continue to air 52 regular season games, the All-Star game and the majority of the playoff games, including one of the conference finals.

This does not include NBATV schedule of 90+ games/season. Note that NBATV is jointly operated by Turner and the NBA, and Turner runs the NBA's digital arm.

This leaves 1,088 games that are aired only locally. Admittedly, most of them wouldn't be of interest to a general audience, but there are enough great, unaired match-ups to fill up a potential FS1 broadcast schedule.

Getting rights for games on a Monday would not make business sense for FS1 because early in the NBA season, they would be going up against ESPN's Monday Night Football and in January, they already have primetime programming since they will have Big East basketball and will most likely want continue some form of "Big Monday". They plan to air 100+ Big East game a year.

They could wait until mid-January to air Monday games to avoid competing with the NFL, much like ABC does with their Sunday broadcasts.

I disagree that it wouldn't make business sense. Big East ratings don't compare to NBA ratings.

This may all be a moot point. For all I know, the NBA only wants/allows two network partners, and there may not even be enough of an audience for more NBA coverage than already exists.

PJU85JF.png

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for your explanation. I didn't know a lot of that, but I still think FS1 and the NBA would benefit from a partnership.

ABC airs 15 regular season games and the entire NBA finals and will televise an increased number of games earlier in the playoffs. The maximum number of times a certain team can appear on the network during the regular season has been increased.

ESPN and ESPN2 will continue to show up to 75 regular season games as well as one of the conference finals. ESPN will increase the number of early round playoff games it airs.

TNT will continue to air 52 regular season games, the All-Star game and the majority of the playoff games, including one of the conference finals.

This does not include NBATV schedule of 90+ games/season. Note that NBATV is jointly operated by Turner and the NBA, and Turner runs the NBA's digital arm.

This leaves 1,088 games that are aired only locally. Admittedly, most of them wouldn't be of interest to a general audience, but there are enough great, unaired match-ups to fill up a potential FS1 broadcast schedule.

Getting rights for games on a Monday would not make business sense for FS1 because early in the NBA season, they would be going up against ESPN's Monday Night Football and in January, they already have primetime programming since they will have Big East basketball and will most likely want continue some form of "Big Monday". They plan to air 100+ Big East game a year.

They could wait until mid-January to air Monday games to avoid competing with the NFL, much like ABC does with their Sunday broadcasts.

I disagree that it wouldn't make business sense. Big East ratings don't compare to NBA ratings.

This may all be a moot point. For all I know, the NBA only wants/allows two network partners, and there may not even be enough of an audience for more NBA coverage than already exists.

The NBA sets limits for the number of times a team can play in a nationally televised, regular season game at 25. This year, with the Heat's winning streak, that number was relaxed. ESPN and TNT can air up to ten (10) games of one team, and ABC is a max of five.

Plus, this upcoming season is the first season in which enhanced revenue sharing comes in to the NBA with local TV revenue being taken from some large market teams and pooled together to be given the smaller markets/lower revenue teams. The use of local TV revenue is to be the primary source of the pool, as opposed to the old system(s) using the luxury tax. If you add more national games, you devalue the local TV rights, which in turn destroys the revenue sharing system the owners spent three years and a incurred a lockout to create.

The NBA's rights will increase by 20% on the conservative side, plus ESPN and Turner could still outbid anybody and especially partner up to block out others (as ESPN and FOX did to keep the both the Big XII and Pac-12 away from NBCSN)

I tried watching that Crow Goes W!ld show yesterday.

Pretty much everyone on the show is very good. They know their roles and play them well. (Katie Nolan is actually quite good, in many ways. I think she's the breakout star of that group.) However, it's definitely a show that's going to take a little time to get its legs underneath them.

My one big problem on the show is Regis. I have no idea what he's supposed to be doing on that show. He opens and closes the show, sure, but he is definitely not the host. (Georgie Thompson is the leader of the program, really. She directs traffic and topics and such.) He's the object of some poking of fun by everyone else on the panel. But otherwise, he serves no function. And it provides a disservice to the show. It is awkward and he actually tends to break the flow of the program. Regis is a legend in broadcasting, but he's a morning show and game show host. He's not a sports host. He can barely talk competently about his own teams. Sorry, Regis.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I tried watching that Crow Goes W!ld show yesterday.

Pretty much everyone on the show is very good. They know their roles and play them well. (Katie Nolan is actually quite good, in many ways. I think she's the breakout star of that group.) However, it's definitely a show that's going to take a little time to get its legs underneath them.

My one big problem on the show is Regis. I have no idea what he's supposed to be doing on that show. He opens and closes the show, sure, but he is definitely not the host. (Georgie Thompson is the leader of the program, really. She directs traffic and topics and such.) He's the object of some poking of fun by everyone else on the panel. But otherwise, he serves no function. And it provides a disservice to the show. It is awkward and he actually tends to break the flow of the program. Regis is a legend in broadcasting, but he's a morning show and game show host. He's not a sports host. He can barely talk competently about his own teams. Sorry, Regis.

Is that show supposed to be like the sports version of The View? I only say that because it seems like Regis was cast simply to be their Barbara Walters.

Katie Nolan is a babe.

PvO6ZWJ.png

What the :censored: is up with FSL adding sound effects to their highlights? It sounded like they were adding them in live because sometimes the sound of the ball hitting the bat would be a split second or so behind the actual hit. One time, the sound engineer played the hit sound on a strikeout swinging. Are real sounds not enough?

Is that show supposed to be like the sports version of The View? I only say that because it seems like Regis was cast simply to be their Barbara Walters.

Eh, kinda, sorta, not really. Georgie Thompson is the pretty, British host lady. Jason Gay of the Wall Street Journal is the professional, learned reporter guy. Michael Kostka is the ex-athlete and comedian. Trevor Pryce is the full on ex-athlete. Katie Nolan plays the guy's girl and social media girl. And Regis is Regis/old guy.

Actually, if I had to compare it to anything it's actually a much much much better version of Versus' failed "The Daily Line" show. Comparing anything to that show is almost demeaning, but it is a similar concept, but executed far better.

The show is quite good. It will need a little while for everyone to start to gel, but it's good. But the debut episode was only held down by not knowing what Regis is exactly there for, and for a weird, disjointed, and stupid 15-20 minute segment on "Regis the Horse". (The cast "bought" Regis a horse for his upcoming birthday. They had a feature on the horse, discussed the horse, discussed Regis and the horse, then disjointedly watched Regis the Horse in a race. It was weird.)

Katie Nolan is a babe.

Indeed. In-freaking-deed.

She has her own segment on the Fox Sports Youtube channel, "No Filter", which is actually really great. It's something they should really consider porting over to the TV side.

Eh, kinda, sorta, not really. Georgie Thompson is the pretty, British host lady. Jason Gay of the Wall Street Journal is the professional, learned reporter guy. Michael Kostka is the ex-athlete and comedian. Trevor Pryce is the full on ex-athlete. Katie Nolan plays the guy's girl and social media girl. And Regis is Regis/old guy.

Actually, if I had to compare it to anything it's actually a much much much better version of Versus' failed "The Daily Line" show. Comparing anything to that show is almost demeaning, but it is a similar concept, but executed far better.

The show is quite good. It will need a little while for everyone to start to gel, but it's good. But the debut episode was only held down by not knowing what Regis is exactly there for, and for a weird, disjointed, and stupid 15-20 minute segment on "Regis the Horse". (The cast "bought" Regis a horse for his upcoming birthday. They had a feature on the horse, discussed the horse, discussed Regis and the horse, then disjointedly watched Regis the Horse in a race. It was weird.)

I would've guessed The Daily Line too, but I couldn't remember the name. That show was unwatchable. Jenn Sterger reads twitter, stats dork only reads uninteresting stats that do nothing for the conversation, black dude tells lame joke, Liam McHugh brings up the next topic. None of those people had any chemistry either. At least McHugh came out of it and does a decent job for the NHL coverage.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Yeah, Jay and Dan aren't changing for anyone and I love it.

I don't know if I'll ever watch SportsCenter ever again. More highlights. More fun. Less bull :censored:

I did notice one thing tonight while watching the CONACAF games...their crawler was not giving live (or completed) MLB scores, just news and notes from earlier in the day like the Von Miller suspension (including their own reporter who claimed that Miller may have been suspended for longer) and both Vick and Weeden being named starting QBs.

Now as to avoid placing it on the NFL thread, FOX may try to buy more NFC affiliate stations, as a result of losing the FS1 price battle with DirecTV, DISH, TimeWarner Cable and others just to recoup the lost projected fees from FS1.

Currently, FOX owns stations in 11 of the 16 NFL markets and could buy a station on SF, SEA, and getting STL back. However, as Variety reports, there would be some FCC issues with their acquisitions.

Yeah, Jay and Dan aren't changing for anyone and I love it.

I don't know if I'll ever watch SportsCenter ever again. More highlights. More fun. Less bull :censored:

Agreed...they are the only reason I've been watching although I'm sick of cutting to the panel. No one wants to hear from Andy Roddick or Donovan McNabb.

Just let Jay and Dan do the show without interruption.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

I will say for the most part I like FSL much better than SportsCenter. My only gripe is they cover European soccer a bit too much for me. Hopefully Other than that it's a relief not to hear about Tebow or the Miami Heat every 5 minutes.

The panel should be their own show. They're interesting, but at 11pm at night, I just want strictly highlights w/ Jay and Dan. Put the panel in the morning, or at like 5pm.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

I will say for the most part I like FSL much better than SportsCenter. My only gripe is they cover European soccer a bit too much for me. Hopefully Other than that it's a relief not to hear about Tebow or the Miami Heat every 5 minutes.

You say it like it's a bad thing. At least Fox Sports 1 cares that other sports exists, ESPN could care less.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

You say it like it's a bad thing. At least Fox Sports 1 cares that other sports exists, ESPN could care less.
Agreed. Glad I can finally get a few measly minutes of EPL and Champions League highlights on FS1...now they just have to get rid of the panel.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Archived