Fox Sports 1 vs ESPN

tv15

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're on the air, but the online companion has apparently been indefinitely delayed.

http://variety.com/2013/digital/news/fox-sports-tv-everywhere-service-is-no-show-as-espn-beefs-up-ipad-app-1200578851/

And that is going to be an ongoing issue as college football starts within the next week. That, plus I do not eve go to foxsports.com for anything, less have it bookmarked (and their app is really lacking when compared to both ESPN and surprisingly to CBS Sports. The CBS Sports app is darn good.)

Since Fox Sports Live places items on the right of the screen, I am less likely to look at them since one looks/reads left to right.

Also this week, ESPN President John Skipper talked with the media on a Q&A for an hour which was posted at Sports Media Journal.

Thing is that FOX has zero web presence now that Whitlock left; Jen Floyd-Engle has yet to be on tv in the last week, and her Manziel/Rosa Parks comparison did not assist her. Who is it?

ESPN has loads of writing talent since the signed/kept Wilbon, MacMillan, Ivan Mansel, and had added dozens of others to the point the they have respected staff of 32 NFL beat writers who are now considered "bloggers". Example is that Paul Kuharsky and Pat Yasinskas spent years at The Tampa Tribune. And there is Grantland and Whitlock is set up to make a "black Grantland"/shadowleague.

CBS has Bruce Feldman, Dennis Dodd and Jason LaCanfora, and even the mohawk guy, Greg Doyle

Yahoo! has Pat Forde and Adrian Wojnarowski (and Yahoo! now partners with NBC)

NFL and MLB Network have hired long time writers like Mike Silver, Gammons, Richard Justice, Ken Rosenthal and Judy Battista.

SI kept Peter King with his own site and still has Grant Wahl, Stuart Mandel and Andy Staples.

Where is FOX for online content?

Thing is that FOX has zero web presence now that Whitlock left; Jen Floyd-Engle has yet to be on tv in the last week, and her Manziel/Rosa Parks comparison did not assist her.

Wait - what?

Please tell me that somebody didn't actually compare the two. It would take a staggering level of historical illiteracy to even contemplate such a thing.

Awful Announcing tweeted that Fox Sports Live got a 0.0 rating last night.

That's not good. I've watched almost every night and I can tell why you like these guys in Canada.

That would be a big deal a year from now. In week two? Nothing to really be alarmed about. All a 0.0 really means is that there weren't enough viewers to register a rating number. It doesn't mean that there was literally no one watching the show. Also, did AA say if the 0.0 rating was for a rerun or a live show? That's an important distinction.

Anyway, don't sweat it too much. A 0.0 at this stage of the game isn't a harbinger of doom.

BB52Big.jpg

That's not good. I've watched almost every night and I can tell why you like these guys in Canada.

That would be a big deal a year from now. In week two? Nothing to really be alarmed about. All a 0.0 really means is that there weren't enough viewers to register a rating number. It doesn't mean that there was literally no one watching the show. Also, did AA say if the 0.0 rating was for a rerun or a live show? That's an important distinction.

Anyway, don't sweat it too much. A 0.0 at this stage of the game isn't a harbinger of doom.

AA got the information from a tweet by SBJ's John Ourand this morning.

It was for the 11PM-Midnight/Eastern block, which was live programming.

AA got the information from a tweet by SBJ's John Ourand this morning.

It was for the 11PM-Midnight/Eastern block, which was live programming.

Well, that's a little worse, but still nothing to get too bent out of shape over. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Ratings are pretty much meaningless for FOX Sports1 right now. Granted, no one wants to get the dreaded 0.0, but we're only ten days into this thing. It's way too soon to put any stock in ratings numbers.

BB52Big.jpg

"Oblermann" drew an average of 319,000 total viewers and 147,000 viewers in Adults 18-49, according to live plus same day Nielsen data.

Airing directly opposite “Olbermann,” FOX Sports 1′s “FOX Sports Live” averaged just 44,000 total viewers and 24,000 viewers in Adults 18-49. (The midnight edition of “FOX Sports Live” did perk up to 99,000 total viewers and 74,000 viewers in Adults 18-49).

So with those numbers dfwabel posted, I guess the better question is are there enough viewers to divy up between the 11 pm ET options on television?

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

So with those numbers dfwabel posted, I guess the better question is are there enough viewers to divy up between the 11 pm ET options on television?

I think there still are two questions.

Q1: As Ourand wrote about it earlier in the summer when ESPNEWS dropped "Highlight Express", is there really a need for the sports highlight show which we grew up with?

NOTE: "Highlight Express" was getting 0.0 in its final weeks.

Q2: If getting viewers is starting out to be difficult, how much more difficult will it get when Jon Stewart returns after Labor Day since he, Colbert and Conan average a 0.5 and Adult Swim is even higher? Late Night Ratings from August 5-9.

Archived