Fox Sports 1 vs ESPN

tv15

Kramerica said: I guess that "not making a lot of sense" thing is happening again.

It made sense, I'm just not sure that an array can be very limited. Or that 3 constitutes an array. Come to think of it, I'm not sure something can be very limited. Isn't "very limited" kinda like extremely unique? Perhaps the Lt. Colonel can provide some answers.

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think "limited" can take modifiers. "Unique" can't. I'm going to go through my old posts and punch myself in the mouth for every time I modified "inevitable." I bet you anything I've gone on autopilot and typed "more and more inevitable" without thinking about how nothing can be made more inevitable. Jesus.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

For all those wondering with Fox Sports 1 "WHUT ABOOT THEE HOCKEE?!", Henrik Lundqvist was the interview guest on today's extra Regis paycheck, Crowd Goes Wild. (Who had to build an IKEA chair while the cast watched Regis the Horse's second race before Lundqvist's interview.... Truly, truly painful segment of television... Again, it needs to be reiterated. Katie Nolan is far and away the best thing on that show.

Regis is flat out awful on this show. He just can't do sports talk. Georgie Thompson is fine, just kinda lost among the crap. Jason Gay is a good reporter/interview, but boring. Michael Kosta is occasionally funny, but tries way too hard. Trevor Pryce is actually fairly good. I think he'd be great if used on a different show. And besides being good looking, Katie Nolan is just good. (Although she did use the word "wicked" as an adjective today...)

And then they brought out the Islanders mascot for a dumb blindfold guessing game thing...

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

There is still the issue that FOX gave the UFC, at least $100M/year until 2018.

UFC live gates have declined and Wednesday show had just 5,950 people buying tickets, producing a live gate of $355,290.

The UFC cannot change their business model based on PPV to a cable/pay TV model when only 6K people buy tickets.

Didn't Wednesday's show also not feature a championship bout? There was really nothing worth playing up.

6fQjS3M.png

FOX has attached themselves long term to a brand which has stagnated for the past 18 months, and strongarms any new potential sponsors for their independent contractors, publicly known as fighters.

crash, think of it as having a five year contract with The Cosmos.

This one's for you, Canada:

Finally got to see these guys...I have to admit they are everything you guys have talked them up to be. They remind of sportscenter anchors back 20 years ago like Dan Patrick who are funny but don't try too hard to be funny. Well done Fox for getting these guys...and sorry Canada for your loss.

The reason why FS1 isn't picking up ESPN ratings is because it isn't in every TV, unlike ESPN.

Especially at bars and public places. Spread the word, and ask for a TV in the place to be tuned to it.

packchampionslfroh.png

The reason why FS1 isn't picking up ESPN ratings is because it isn't in every TV, unlike ESPN.

Especially at bars and public places. Spread the word, and ask for a TV in the place to be tuned to it.

Only if they have something worth watching on.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yeah, that's gotta be it. :rolleyes: Carriage is certainly important, but it's hardly the only reason FS1 "isn't picking up ESPN's ratings."

FS1 has been on the air for a couple weeks. They're still working out the bugs. To expect...well...anything, especially anything approaching good ratings, at this point is silly. It will be years before FS1 can expect comparable ratings to ESPN.

BB52Big.jpg

They need to work out the "have Andy Roddick talk about things" bug. I wouldn't want to listen to Roddick talk about the mechanics of a 110-mph serve; why would I want to hear him talk about an offensive line?

People were skeptical of Fox Sports being "less intellectual than ESPN," probably because oh my god let's think of what those words mean, but it seems to me like having a more laid-back approach could work out for them. You can't really do intelligent sports television. The medium isn't right for it. That's what writing is for. Sports on Earth is terrific, by the way.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'll give them props for this: They never emphasized Tim Tebow getting cut from the Pats like ESPN did.

ESPN's top two stories that day were "Popular Tebow cut by Pats" and "Manziel gets penalized for taunting."

Very disappointing that on the first Saturday of college football ESPN decided to focus on those two stories. I honestly couldn't care less about Tebow or Manziel anymore. ESPN just sticks to one story/team/athlete and runs that nonstop into the ground.

Archived