Best Sports Memorials

DeFrank

The sister of a very good friend of mine has very tragically passed away very recently. Students are scrambling to find ways to do SOMETHING. As the class president, I'm beginning to organize and think about different ways to show support for the students family and help bring my school together... My mind instantly went to all of the sports memorials, monograms, and so on that we discuss on these boards daily. From a purely design oriented perspective, some are better than others. For example, Art Monk's Modell's was not my favorite. In an attempt to perhaps spark a both physically and emotionally appealing ribbon or sticker, I ask...

What are some of the best memorial patches, ribbons, decals, and so on in sports?

I'm a huge fan of the Sparky Anderson patch, don't have a picture but it was a black home plate that had sparky 11 in white. Ultimately I think something minimalistic is the best bet, it's respectful and not flashy.

Sorry to hear about your loss, stay strong.

I'm a huge fan of the Sparky Anderson patch, don't have a picture but it was a black home plate that had sparky 11 in white. Ultimately I think something minimalistic is the best bet, it's respectful and not flashy.

Sorry to hear about your loss, stay strong.

Victor-Martinez-Tigers.jpg

Sorry to hear about the loss.

Sorry for your loss. All the best to you and your friends.

My senior year, we lost two classmates. One played football, so the team wore a black circle with a block number 6 on their helmets. The same circle and number where placed outside the field in view of the stand and always had a light shining on it.

Both boys were voted most unforgettable in senior superlatives.

The school gave the students room to grieve. They brought in grief counselors and were very tolerant of absences in the days following the losses. The principal arranged for the seniors to have a couple hours to hang out during school hours a couple times a month for the remainder of the year. It meant a lot because just being together began to mean so much more.

By far, the best thing the school did was to involve the families in the things that their sons wouldn't be able to take part in. The football player was honored on senior night and his entire family was there for his jersey retirement. Both of boys' mothers accepted their diplomas on graduation day.

Sportswise, I liked the Lakers' Jerry Buss patch and the Celtics putting Red Auerbach's signature on the court.

Archived