mcrosby

Wisconsin Badgers logo

After seeing JJSCOTT's Michigan concept hit the top of the concept boards once again I was inspired to try something for my Badgers.

I wanted to take the current Bucky logo and make it a bit less mascot-y and a bit more logo-y. I loved JJ's mark and some of what he did shows through in this concept, and hopefully with some C&C this can progress as well as his did throughout his post.

Picture10_zpsded610dd.png

Definitely looks bat-like. Badgers have more round ears, rounding out the top of the ears just a little would be a great start.

badger-badger.org.jpg

Round ears are on the list of fixes. This is the photo I went off of:

American_badger-3-L.jpg

Here's a quick update to the pointy ears. I also tried a few versions with the inclusion of the capitol building. As much as I was trying to get away from the mascot-y vibe I really dig the quick and dirty addition of the sweater collar I tried.

Picture11_zps95445c08.png

My favorites in order:

Bottom Left

Top Left

Bottom Right

Top Right

I think you should edit the head a bit more. It may be the jaw and the teeth that's making it look weird to me.

Solid logo.....but looks like a Gremlin to me.

IMO, for that to be used as a primary logo, the whole thing needs to be smoothed out and simplified a bit...too many jagged lines and points.

Just a random thought, but college logos that look "mascot-y" just seem more appropriate. Especially when said mascot has as much notoriety outside of college athletics as Bucky Badger.

I think you need to define the area around the eyes some more, maybe vary the line weight a little. It's a bit too flat at the moment.

Just a random thought, but college logos that look "mascot-y" just seem more appropriate. Especially when said mascot has as much notoriety outside of college athletics as Bucky Badger.

I agree with that, but with the way UW is cracking down on the use of Bucky outside of official uses I figure something like this might be apropos. Club rugby asked me to come up with some stuff for just that reason.

Cool logo if you can tweak a few things. I think the issue is mostly that this head, when isolated, doesn't look like it's part of a badger from this angle. I'd never recognize it as a badger head. If you can add part of the body, like in the reference photo, I think it will read better as what it's supposed to be. The head needs to be emerging or extending from the body and you'll have a more intimidating badger. And the teeth on the real badger extend from the top part of his mouth, while you have them as jutting up from below, which also is less badger-like.

Cool logo if you can tweak a few things. I think the issue is mostly that this head, when isolated, doesn't look like it's part of a badger from this angle. I'd never recognize it as a badger head. If you can add part of the body, like in the reference photo, I think it will read better as what it's supposed to be. The head needs to be emerging or extending from the body and you'll have a more intimidating badger. And the teeth on the real badger extend from the top part of his mouth, while you have them as jutting up from below, which also is less badger-like.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I looked at your reference picture. Teeth need to be reversed.

And the teeth on the real badger extend from the top part of his mouth, while you have them as jutting up from below, which also is less badger-like.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I looked at your reference picture. Teeth need to be reversed.

I was hoping to preserve the frowny snarl current bucky has, but it seems that shall not last.

The collar is just a placeholder for now. I'm struggling adding a body so I might go with a new collar instead. If you've any suggestions please speak up.

Picture12_zpsa6935cb6.png

Good start could use a bit of tweaking... something with the ears, maybe placement of nose is reading more bat as suggested. The badger pics you posted have more triangle shape than the logo implies. great start though real potential can't wait to see it evolve more!

Here's a pretty big update. I modeled the body pose after the new Cal Bears logo just to see how this body type would work. I've also made some changes around the eyes, nose, and mouth.

Picture13_zps02a3bc10.png

I think that your outlines are too thick for one thing, it really clutters up the face and makes it hard to make out the eyes and mouth. It is a great start though.

I don't think the fangs are working. it makes it looks like some sort of werewolf or something.