Jaguars new helmets, simple question....Why ?

seahawk9

They add nothing to the overall look. Looks like they just forgot to paint the rest of the helmets. If anything, why not a gradual fade of colors rather than the hard line fade and maybe a different angle. Just paint the helmets either gold or black and be done with it. Trying way too hard to be different..........................................

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why? They thought they'd be cutting edge, that there would be no other design like them in football, and that they'd get some people talking about the uniform and the team. And, you know what? Pretty much all true.

The fact that they look ridiculous is, I guess, secondary (and I'm sure the Jags would say, also a matter of opinion).

You know what? Even if the design is so roundly ridiculed that they need to raise the white flag on them in a year of two, all the above will still be true. I think its the same as the toilet-seat collars. Most teams dropped them, but for a year, they got a lot of milage out of the discussion, and the whole idea of "flywire."

A top bottom gradient would have at least provided for some uniformity in photos, but no gradient would have been the better solution.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The view from above seems especially stupid.

tempRWP_9225--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?wid

If you remove the guy in the 4point stance, this is a great looking uniform matchup. Hey Jags, want to be revolutionary? Change right now to all black helmets and take the fines from the NFL for doing so. Make the excuse that the gold wasn't holding up and needed to be removed.

The Jaguars seem to be a team that wants to be different. They have very little history and very little fanbase. They needed to do something to be relevant and stand out. Unfortunately because of this we're stuck with those awful helmets. I doubt Nike was very happy with the helmet idea, but the client gets what they want.

The confusing part is that in the NFL do the helmets really matter? Jerseys are sold, so that design is very important. In college the idea of flashy helmets came around to excite recruits. NFL players go to the teams that draft them, or pay them the most money. No NFL player is going to a team because of the helmets and fans aren't going to games to see the helmet.

...actually, this is the official helmet graphic:

However, they use this one for the 3-D version:

Jaguars_2013_side_r.png

That helmet 3d effect (not the design itself) is beautiful.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Helmets are important not because they sell them, although they do, but because helmet graphics themselves are used as logos, on merchandise and in the media.

JacksonvilleJaguars_HRS0100a_2013_SCC_SR

Whoops - that's what I get for trusting the mothership. :P

That looks even more like gold flake.

JacksonvilleJaguars_HRS0100a_2013_SCC_SR

It's not the gradient that's the problem with the Jaguars helmet. It's the harsh cut-off line between the black and gold. It looks like 2 helmets were sawed in half, swapped, and glued together.

If only the gradient was smooth like in Colorwerx's graphic, a lot less people would be complaining.

I really don't like to partake in the hyperbole that often happens on internet forums, but the Jaguars helmets (and uniform) are a special case. I'd agree a simple fix would be to make the whole helmet matte black, but I'd actually prefer it be all gold without a stripe. I know that would be unlikely considering the logo is predominately gold, but I really think it would be a handsome look. Another option would be something like what Nike did with Navy a few years ago for their Pro Combat jerseys.

Whatever the change is, there clearly has to be one.

The Jaguars seem to be a team that wants to be different. They have very little history and very little fanbase. They needed to do something to be relevant and stand out. Unfortunately because of this we're stuck with those awful helmets. I doubt Nike was very happy with the helmet idea, but the client gets what they want.

The confusing part is that in the NFL do the helmets really matter? Jerseys are sold, so that design is very important. In college the idea of flashy helmets came around to excite recruits. NFL players go to the teams that draft them, or pay them the most money. No NFL player is going to a team because of the helmets and fans aren't going to games to see the helmet.

What makes you think that?

As bad as the Jaguars helmets are, and I dislike them as much as the next guy, they may not be a complete failure on the marketing front. My 10-year-old son is just starting to collect mini helmets, and guess which one he picked for the third member of his collection. Yep, the Jaguars. Even after I contributed my two cents to the decision, that's the one he wanted. I know he's a kid and kids don't always have the best taste, but those of us with good taste aren't the only ones buying merchandise. :)

Archived