2013/14 International Football Thread

LOL Andre Marriner.

The Gunners are still in the race but they're gonna need to be pretty much perfect the rest of the way.

If you told an Arsenal supporter at the start of the year that they could be 7 points back with 8 to play and a match in hand, I think they'd have hall taken it. And some are asking for Wegner to be sacked.

That was a pathetic matchby the Gunners today. They played on the back foot from the opening kickoff. Eto'o and Schurrler goals were caused by Arsenal's constant need to play a high defensive line and they get burned more than create the offside trap.

With the Andre Marriner situation, he did send off the wrong player. Oxlade-Chamberlain deserved to be sent off not Gibbs. I have no idea why Ox had his hand out. What a stupid thing to do, especially with his side down two nil after 10 minutes. But BBC 5Live said after the match Marriner admitted during halftime that he made a mistake and send off the wrong player. At least that came out. With that sending off, Ox is going to be missing the next three Premier League matches (Swansea, Man City and Everton). But the main thing is that he will be back for the FA Cup SF v Wigan.

Overall, that match was a complete letdown. Yes some Arsenal supporters (and it's a very very small group of so called Arsenal supporters) are calling for Wenger to be sacked. But he won't be, not even close. And yes Carson, I am pretty happy to be only 7 points back with 8 to play and a match in hand. But I still believe that our chance of winning the title this year faded away with that pathetic performance today. With Man City thrashing 10-man Fulham 5-0 (hat-trick by Toure) and Liverpool winning 6-3 (hat-trick by Suarez), the Gunners are getting left in the dust of the top three clubs. Our only solace is that we are 8 points up on Everton with that game in hand and we play them in two weeks. And yes I f :censored: ing HATE the term "fourth place trophy" that's used by the media and Wenger in previous years.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you'd told me at the start of the season that we'd be coming towards the end of March with Liverpool still at the dead centre of the title race I'd probably have asked you for some of whatever you were smoking, but here we are. This season has been awesome.

Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge have more goals between the two of them than 15 of the other 19 clubs in the League have in total.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

If you'd told me at the start of the season that we'd be coming towards the end of March with Liverpool still at the dead centre of the title race I'd probably have asked you for some of whatever you were smoking, but here we are. This season has been awesome.

Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge have more goals between the two of them than 15 of the other 19 clubs in the League have in total.

Suarez and Sturridge are the most proficient strike partnership in Europe right now...all I can say is what a strike combination they are. There is this well written article on statsbomb talking about the player analytics and the art of the finishing skill. well worth a read. http://www.statsbomb.com/2014/03/thinking-about-finishing-skill/

Thankfully I have Suarez in two of my fantasy football teams (Sky Sports and PremierLeague.com), he's been bagging me some serious points this season

Yet again Arsenal's biggest supporter is calling for Wenger's resignation. https://twitter.com/piersmorgan

Arsenal's biggest-named supporter, maybe. There is a difference.

Now that that's out of the way, though, it seems Morgan may be about to get his wish.

CaughtOffside understands that the 64 year old boss is considering his future and is prepared to walk away from the North London club when his current contract expires this summer.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I've suspected Wenger has had a foot out the door for some time, and that the main reasons he's stuck around are (1) his approach is in line with the Kroenke group's expectations, and (2) lack of better or even comparable available alternatives - like, well, ManU after Sir Alex. If Wenger really is about to walk out now, all bets on the club's future are off.

CCSLC signature.png

With the Andre Marriner situation, he did send off the wrong player. Oxlade-Chamberlain deserved to be sent off not Gibbs. I have no idea why Ox had his hand out. What a stupid thing to do, especially with his side down two nil after 10 minutes. But BBC 5Live said after the match Marriner admitted during halftime that he made a mistake and send off the wrong player. At least that came out. With that sending off, Ox is going to be missing the next three Premier League matches (Swansea, Man City and Everton). But the main thing is that he will be back for the FA Cup SF v Wigan.

Not so fast. The ref copping to his mistake is one thing; the Premier League acting on that, which they have yet to do, is another thing entirely. I've even seen it suggested that Wenger would prefer that Gibbs take the fall, as he would be easier to replace in the starting XI than Ox would, given the injuries to Ramsey, Wilshere, Ozil and Walcott. If the Prem lets the Gibbs red stand, it'll be interesting to see if Arsenal even bothers to appeal it.

CCSLC signature.png

Actually, it's the FA that would handle such a thing... and they've already pointed out that appealing is an option.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Agreed, it will be The FA handing the sending off correction if an appeal is lodged. They did it once before earlier in the season in League 1 for a wrong player getting sent off. It was a retrospective ban overturn and re banning on the player that should have been sent off.

As for Wenger leaving, no one really knows what he planned for after this season. Yes he hasn't signed a contract extension but he might just need the time to think about it. He has assisted Arsenal to become debt free with paying off Emirates Stadium under time allotted, 18 consecutive seasons qualified for UCL, made Arsenal a global success in the branding world, and has brought consistent silverware to the club that wasn't there before until recently. Time will tell for The Professor.

There have been a few instances where an innocent player has been sent off as a result of a mix up or mistaken identity, usually it's a formality that the red card is rescinded when there's clear evidence of a mistake.

Sometimes it might be trickier to resolve if the game in question takes place in the lower leagues, but for a televised Premier League match with dozens of cameras clearly showing what happened from a variety of angles Arsenal won't have any problems.

Good win for Tottenham yesterday although it is little too late imo to get a chance of grabbing the fourth place spot. Too many changes from the start of the season with bringing in seven new players after yet again selling the top player who made us tick. Sacking the manager in December has only given more disruption when we were only five points off the fourth place spot. Have a feeling Hugo Lloris will be gone at the end of the year to Barcelona.

glory10.png

Good win for Tottenham yesterday although it is little too late imo to get a chance of grabbing the fourth place spot. Too many changes from the start of the season with bringing in seven new players after yet again selling the top player who made us tick. Sacking the manager in December has only given more disruption when we were only five points off the fourth place spot. Have a feeling Hugo Lloris will be gone at the end of the year to Barcelona.

Especially with the departure of Valdes in the summer due ot his contract expiration. It would be a good fit for Lloris.

Like the Premier League, La Liga finish will be amazing and down to the wire. Im hoping Atletico wins La Liga this year

I'd love to see Atleti win the league as a very casual supporter of them but I don't think it'll happen? Who really knows though.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived