2013/14 International Football Thread

This is going to be a hell of finish in both La Liga and the Prem...gotta love it! Plus my Gunners officially qualified for UEFA Champions League today, have to qualify the hard way through the Play-offs. And Hull City has a date with UEFA Europa League...best of luck Jaffa

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though I'm an Arsenal fan, I was really hoping West Ham could pull it off against Man City and Liverpool could win the title. It would have been a breath of fresh air in the Premier League, and it would have been great to see Steven Gerrard finally win a BPL championship.

Even though I'm an Arsenal fan, I was really hoping West Ham could pull it off against Man City and Liverpool could win the title. It would have been a breath of fresh air in the Premier League, and it would have been great to see Steven Gerrard finally win a BPL championship.

As a Chelsea fan, I was pulling for the Reds too. It's hard to believe that Liverpool has never won a premiership title given as much success as they have had in the past.

I think people often forget he's won a Champions League title.

Can't ever complain when the best team wins the title and that certainly happened this year. Congrats to fergoe and City on it.

6fQjS3M.png

Now the English domestic season done, on towards all the cup finals:

Wednesday

UEFA Europa League Final (Juventus Stadium, Turin) - Sevilla FC v SL Benfica (Referee - Felix Brych GER)

Saturday

The FA Cup (Wembley Stadium, Wembley) - Arsenal v Hull City (Referee - Lee Probert ENG)

DFB-Pokal (Olympiastadion, Berlin) - Borussia Dortmund v FC Bayern Munchen (Referee - Florian Meyer GER)

Scottish Cup (Celtic Park, Glasgow) - Dundee United v St. Johnstone (Referee - Craig Thomson SCO)

Sunday

Taca de Portugal (Estadio Nacional, Oeiras) - SL Benfica v Rio Ave (Referee - unknown)

- Benfica will be going for the treble as they already won the 2013/14 Primeira Liga

Satuday, May 24

UEFA Champions League Final (Estadio da Luz, Lisbon) - Real Madrid CF v Club Atletico de Madrid (Referee - Bjorn Kuipers NED)

So the Curse of Bela Guttmann continues to haunt Benfica. After a scoreless draw to end the UEFA Europa Final, Sevilla beats them 4-2 in penalties to capture the title.

That's now 0-8 in UEFA Champions/Europa League title games for Benfica since 1962, the year former manager Bela Guttmann, after being fired after demanding a pay raise, decreed that his club will "never be champions of Europe without him." What torment for that team.

...former manager Bela Guttmann, after being fired after demanding a pay raise, decreed that his club will "never be champions of Europe without him." What torment for that team.

To be fair Guttmann only cursed them for 100 years rather than for all eternity, so he wasn't being a total git about it. :D

Archived