The Official MLB Random Year Expansion! *Texas Rangers and POLL ADDED*

1stRound DraftPick

Random Expansion Poll  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TAMPA BAY RAYS (since 1905)

Division: N/A

Colors: Dark Green, White

Ballpark: Plant Field

Era: Deadball Era

The Rays' fauxback jerseys actually gave me inspiration for this concept series, but here, we are going faux waayyy back lol. Got the collar and dark scheme out on these vintage flannel jerseys. I always preferred the dark green the Rays had in the 2000s, so I decided to use that color here, albeit less saturated to give it that 'old' feel. The font of the logo does not match the jersey font, a typical occurrence in early baseball. You'll also notice the absence of the helmet, player name, and jersey number.

TampaBayRays1905_zpsc6a21780.png

Anytime you take away the pinstripes from the Yankees you are making a bold move, but I don't think you are going far enough. The classic Yankee script seems out of place for a 2005 team. The same with the old interlocking NY. Be bold and rework those as well.

Now I am not saying what you did looks bad, they are really slick. I'm just saying, in terms of this concept, that you are not pushing the envelope in some areas. Any team willing to use orange and yellow gradient lettering is probably not going to settle for a more realistic bird logo. Chances are the Oriole would be sneering or look angry (or constipated, take your pick) holding a bat.

Outside of those C&Cs, it is a fun concept idea.

The best part about the Orioles is that it's everything we all hate about design from that era but it works with your theme. I would've thought, however, that Tampa would've redesigned their uniforms at least once since 1905 to get with the times.

sport-scarf_reds_zpsbb317600.png

I really like the Yankees' uniforms. The only qualm I'd have with it is that I don't think the Yankees would have used such a font/script for front of the jersey if they came into existence in 2005. I'm thinking they'd use something like what the D-Backs now use or maybe use a custom font. I'm thinking maybe a font with daggers or bevels in it.

The Blue Jays are OK for a team that started off in the 40s. Maybe they'd have a simple block "T" on the hats and maybe a block, arched "TORONTO" on the roads, but I can see this set working too.

Not that I don't like the Orioles, but I think some changes could be made if they came into existence in 1997. I'm a fan of the logo as it looks, but if it were created in '97 I think the bird would look more menacing like the Ravens' or Eagles' logo, or maybe it'd be a "digital bird" like the Falcons' logo.

if the Rays came about in 1905 I don't think anyone would have come up with the idea of using green. The hats and the road uniforms probably would have been black. Nice look anyhow.

Anytime you take away the pinstripes from the Yankees you are making a bold move, but I don't think you are going far enough. The classic Yankee script seems out of place for a 2005 team. The same with the old interlocking NY. Be bold and rework those as well.

Now I am not saying what you did looks bad, they are really slick. I'm just saying, in terms of this concept, that you are not pushing the envelope in some areas. Any team willing to use orange and yellow gradient lettering is probably not going to settle for a more realistic bird logo. Chances are the Oriole would be sneering or look angry (or constipated, take your pick) holding a bat.

Outside of those C&Cs, it is a fun concept idea.

The main reason why I kept the Yankees like that is because if I changed it, they would basically be the old 2005 Nationals. I wanted more of the NEW 2011 Nationals. Less block letters and more script. I still wanted to also keep the essence of the Yankees. Their could still be a very small chance that we could've seen something like that in 2005 right... :huh:...right? LOL.

As for the sneering Oriole, I knew members would think this lol. I was going to make it similar to the Ravens' logo. However I realized that...only once in the history of MLB has their been a sneering animal as a primary, and that was the 2004 Blue Jays logo (Used bold and red so that other members can see this lol). Those are reserved for minor league teams lol. As for the teams made near 1997, Tampa Bay and Arizona, they never had a sneering devil ray or snake as their primary. That's why I chose to abandon that idea for the Orioles. However, I will be doing it for ONE team and one team only. Which team? Time will tell.

Thanks alot for the criticism. Greatly appreciated.

The best part about the Orioles is that it's everything we all hate about design from that era but it works with your theme. I would've thought, however, that Tampa would've redesigned their uniforms at least once since 1905 to get with the times.

The jerseys are how they would've look in that year of expansion. So that's how the Orioles jersey would've looked in 1997, and that's how the Rays would've looked in 1905.

I really like the Yankees' uniforms. The only qualm I'd have with it is that I don't think the Yankees would have used such a font/script for front of the jersey if they came into existence in 2005. I'm thinking they'd use something like what the D-Backs now use or maybe use a custom font. I'm thinking maybe a font with daggers or bevels in it.

The Blue Jays are OK for a team that started off in the 40s. Maybe they'd have a simple block "T" on the hats and maybe a block, arched "TORONTO" on the roads, but I can see this set working too.

Not that I don't like the Orioles, but I think some changes could be made if they came into existence in 1997. I'm a fan of the logo as it looks, but if it were created in '97 I think the bird would look more menacing like the Ravens' or Eagles' logo, or maybe it'd be a "digital bird" like the Falcons' logo.

if the Rays came about in 1905 I don't think anyone would have come up with the idea of using green. The hats and the road uniforms probably would have been black. Nice look anyhow.

Another Yankees one lol. Same as I said above, the new Nationals are a perfect example of a classic looking team made in the modern era (with the Walgreens 'W'). I was going for that feel. I think they just made a mistake in '05.

For the Jays. I had thought of using a block 'T'.....hmmm...maybe if it was earlier? 1920's?

For the Orioles, same as I said above. It's how the team would've looked IN 1997.

And finally, the Rays....the 1901 Baltimore Orioles (no relation to the current franchise) used a motif that was unheard of back then.

al_1901_baltimore_01.gif575.gif

Black and orange were two colors that no other team used (It was actually blue that most teams used back then). I also felt bold so I decided on the green.

In reply to everyone, thanks for the criticism. I will look into the Yankees comments very thoroughly.

BOSTON RED SOX (since 1978)

Division: American League East

Colors: Red, Navy, White

Ballpark: A modern Fenway Park

Era: Divisional Era

This one is my favorite so far! 1978 was not a great year in Boston at all. The Blizzard of '78 was just a precursor to a disappointing Red Sox season. In July, they held a fourteen game lead over the Yankees, but let it slip by the end of the season.

But all that is still better than what a 1978 expansion Red Sox would've done! This set stays true to the 70s, complete with retro font, button-less shirts and pants without belts. No classic letter "B" on the hats here...that font wouldn't have existed. As an alternate, we got some red pants to add insult to injury. Red Sox fans should be glad that this never happened lol.

BostonRedSox1978_zpsf271f037.png

I love boston and Baltimore so far! The Rays I am sadly dissapointed you picked them to be one of the "original" teams, I was really hoping for another 70's look! But still, everything looks awesome. Ilove how you're studying the different styles per era and implementing them. The Blue Jays logo is top notch.

I love boston and Baltimore so far! The Rays I am sadly dissapointed you picked them to be one of the "original" teams, I was really hoping for another 70's look! But still, everything looks awesome. Ilove how you're studying the different styles per era and implementing them. The Blue Jays logo is top notch.

Thanks alot! Sorry about the Rays...I didn't want to make another 70s look for them. Most of the 70s looks are being reserved for the National League anyway. Most members seemingly want a post-WWII look, but I want to cover all eras.

DETROIT TIGERS (since 2002)

Division: American League Central

Colors: Dark Navy, Orange, White

Ballpark: Comerica Park

Era: Wildcard Era

...only once in the history of MLB has their been a sneering animal as a primary, and that was the 2004 Blue Jays logo (Used bold and red so that other members can see this lol)......However, I will be doing it for ONE team and one team only. Which team? Time will tell.

Well, this is that team. Introducing the menacing Detroit Tigers logo, complete with an exceptional set of jerseys that Lions fans would be proud of. The navy blue is darker than its current iteration, looking almost black at first glance. The primary hats feature the Tiger logo, while the alternate "D" hats have an orange brim. Alternate road features a navy-on-navy motif that may be unpopular to some, but gorgeous to others.

DetroitTigers2002_zps27b73423.png

Logo used not-for-profit from Logos.co. Designed by Chromaco. Edited by FirstRound DraftPick.

Archived