The Official MLB Random Year Expansion! *Texas Rangers and POLL ADDED*

1stRound DraftPick

Random Expansion Poll  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Edited with bigger shields.

OAKLAND ATHLETICS (since 1870)

Division: N/A

Colors: Black, Blue, Yellow, White

Ballpark: Oakland Baseball Grounds

Era: Beginning

Although the first National League game would not be played until 1876, professional teams were being established since 1869, the year MLB recognizes as the beginning of professional baseball. Here, we see what the Oakland Athletics would've looked like had they've been established as a professional team in 1870.

The use of a removable fabric shield was widespread throughout baseball around the 1860s-70s. Here, the shield-front jersey dons the Athletics "A" in Old English, one of the few fonts provided by manufacturers A.G. Spalding & Bros. As for the road jersey, the shield dons the city name on the front. Their hats feature horizontal stripes on the "pillbox" crown.

OaklandAthletics1870_zpsbf850c95.png

I like the general concept for the A's and think the shields are a bold notion. I like the home jersey but while the concept of the road shield and it's authentic font are conceptually strong, in practice, to my eye, it seems to be a lot of dead negative space. Maybe it might work if you fashioned it after the first image on the following page: http://www.cycleback.com/photoguide/uni.htm

I like the general concept for the A's and think the shields are a bold notion. I like the home jersey but while the concept of the road shield and it's authentic font are conceptually strong, in practice, to my eye, it seems to be a lot of dead negative space. Maybe it might work if you fashioned it after the first image on the following page: http://www.cycleback.com/photoguide/uni.htm

I was going to fashion a national league team similar to that style, with the bow tie and everything. I think the issue at hand here is the size of the shield. I will edit the shield size and then edit the above posts.

EDIT:

I resized the shields of the Oakland A's to a size similar to the concept I'm trying to follow. Here is an image similar to what I am going for:

http://images.collectors.com/articles/2010mar5_8l.jpg

CHICAGO WHITE SOX (since 1991)

Division: American League West

Colors: White, Pale Gold, Black

Ballpark: New Comiskey Park

Era: Division Era

1991 was a major year for Chicago sports. The Bears made the playoffs, the Blackhawks won the President's Trophy, and the Chicago Bulls won their first NBA Championship. As for the White Sox, they opened U.S. Cellular Field (then called new Comiskey Park), and played their first full season wearing their current uniforms. These uniforms were a re-imagining of the jerseys they wore from the 50s to the 70s. However, if the White Sox were an expansion team that year, they would have no jerseys to take reference from.

Below is the expansion Chicago White Sox uniforms. To keep white as the main color of the team, black and pale gold were chosen, as those colors aren't as defining as let's say...orange or green. The triple color stripes were common in the early 90s, and outline the sleeves and pants. The pale gold alternate would be used for only one or two seasons, to form an identity for the franchise. Afterwards, they would simply use only the white home and gray road jerseys.

ChicagoWhiteSox1991_zpse3a7ccfa.png

:D I actually really like the idea of using the pale gold...

Overall, this concept is simply AWESOME!

I just changed the silver to gold and it looked awesome LOL, so I ran with it.

Chicago looks too visually pleasing to be from the 90s :lol:

I love how the cap logo is literally a white sock

Haha I actually tried to tone it down a bit. But if it was revealed in 90's, nobody would think a thing. As for the cap, I was thinking about using "C" or "CWS", just to change it up a bit for the "SOX" logo. But in the end, I decided against using letters.

SEATTLE MARINERS (since 1913)

Colors: Navy. White

Ballpark: Dugdale Field

Era: Deadball Era

In the early 20th century, some home teams never saw the need to have any lettering on the front of their home jersey. The idea was that the home crowd should know who their team is anyway. That's the case in this random expansion. The home jersey simply features the logo on the sleeve. Next, the road jersey, which features vertical lettering on the button placket. As for the alternate home, the first "T" in Seattle is white on top of the navy center. Also you'll notice the military/standing collars on all three.

P.S. Did you realize that I put the Mariners in PINSTRIPES???!

SeattleMariners1913_zps9c3de4da.png

LOS ANGELES ANGELS OF ANAHEIM (since 1948)

Colors: Red, Navy. White

Ballpark: Wrigley Field (Los Angeles)

Era: Post-World War II

Back in 1948, the Los Angeles Angels were simply a Triple-A minor league club in the Pacific Coast League. But in today's random expansion, we promote them to a major league ball club. The pride of Los Angeles-Orange County feature two off-white home uniforms (one with the "LA" logo, and the other the "ANGELS". The alternate home also features the shoulder stripe motif that a couple of teams used in that era. As for the road jersey, it features both cities on the front, seamlessly initialled by the logo.

LosAngelesAngelsofAnaheim1948_zps71c2985

Archived