Retro Meets Modern Concepts.

JJHoser

Hey, I am brand new to this forum even though I have been coming to this site for years. I just figured it was about time I join the forum and share some of the concepts I create. I combine new designs and design elements with old designs and design elements. The first one I will start off with is my concept for the Brooklyn Nets. So far I have created a logo, created a new script logo for the jersey, and then designed one jersey.

I used the old concept from the 1997-2012 New Jersey Nets logo where the shield has a ring around the bottom, kind of simulating the rim of a hoop. I then also took and altered the script from their final uniforms and spread it across the shield in place of the boring "Nets" script already being used. I also added a little embossing in order to created a shadowed 3D effect, and some gray in there just so the team has more than 2 colors.

However, I really like the simplicity in the script for the name "Brooklyn" so I left that be because the two different scripts, in my opinion, create an image that clashes in a good way and gives it depth.

8sfp.png
gdmj.png
This first jersey concept, started off with the black, current, Nets road jersey. I left it black, replaced the name Brooklyn with the 1997-2012 jersey script, now in White, Black, and Gray/Silver. I then removed the white side panels and replaced them with a checkerboard style look which comes directly from a design quality of their final uniforms used in New Jersey. So this way I brought an old part of the teams heritage back into the uniform but left it with the same sleek style. I also kept the same simplistic number and name font but minimized the size of the number on the front.
1ahm.png
Colorado Born and Raised!!

2gm6.png
LasVegasBowl_zpsdb9fb995.png

I'm looking at these on my phone. They seem pretty good, but the images need to be much larger.

You have to click the thumbnails to view them larger because image shack kinda sucks.

2gm6.png

Like I had said earlier, I really like the simplicity of the script used now for the name Brooklyn. So I took that same script and tweaked it a bit to add the gray/silver color to their color set and I made the logo a little more flashy so it grabs peoples attention.

mg76.png

For this Alternate uniform I really didn't take the idea from any concept the nets ever had, I just think pinstripes are a dying design element and I would like to see them make a come back so I made this uniform. It contains the new concept logo, that I designed for the nets, really big across the chest as if something you would see in a 90's uniform design. I outlined the number on the front and back with gray/silver, and then made the number a small corner piece on the front. In all I really like the way this idea played together. Especially with the white pinstripes laid within the black, extended, side panels.

gaat.png

I think the point of the home uniform should be to celebrate a teams heritage and also incorporate the pride of the hometown. So for this jersey I took a very early on design element to celebrate the teams heritage. Back in 1976 the Nets were the New York Nets and they kept the same home and road jerseys even after moving to New Jersey. These uniforms lasted until the 1989/1990 season. The Uniforms right side panel contained a row of stars down the side. This definitely mad sense when they were New York Nets, seeing as how New York City is kind of America's most notorious city. So in a way incorporating the stars brings back an old design element but creates an all american feel that Brooklyners would be proud of. For the font, I wanted to keep the simple design that they currently had, but make it embody someone from Brooklyn. People in Brooklyn are your strong and bold people, so by keeping the simple bold design I kept it BOLD and adding the layered outlines and the gray/silver edging created the STRONG feeling.

jrwk.png

2gm6.png

So here is another concept I created for you guys in the way of Retro meets Modern. I decided, seeing as I am an Avs fan, that I would design a jersey that combines a few jersey design elements/colors from the Quebec Nordiques (AKA the Avalanche before they moved) and mix them with current logos, fonts, and numbers from the Avalanche organization.

I used the light powder blue, royal blue, bright scarlet red, and white color scheme of the Nordiques for the entire jersey. As per tradition of the Nordiques, I lined the jersey at the bottom with the Fleur De Li logo the Nordiques used, and added a trim of the Fleur De Li logo on the sleeves. And I kept the traditional font C for the captain in the upper left of the chest and put the Nordiques logo on the right side of the chest. It also keeps the same Avs foot logo on the shoulders, and the traditions A on the front except all the logos and numbers etc have been changed to Nordiques colors. The picture explains any possible uses of the jersey.

3ah1.png

2gm6.png

I'm not a fan of the Avalanche uniforms. They just don't say "Colorado" or "Avalanche." The fleur-de-lis is more meaningful to Quebec as does the term Nordiques, so I wouldn't use any symbolism from the old Quebec Nordiques look. it doesn't work when you try to blend the two because the two eras and the two locations are so different. Instead, I'd design a "fauxback"as to what a uniform might have looked like had Denver or the Rocky Mountain region had a team at any point prior to 1995.

I do like the Nets set though. I like the touches you made to the logo to make it more interesting. The pinstriped alternate is also a big plus, as is placing "Nets" across the that black jersey (though I'd make it an alternate rather than the primary roads). Everything about the Nets' current set is rather plain but you livened it up a bit.

I'm not a fan of the Avalanche uniforms. They just don't say "Colorado" or "Avalanche." The fleur-de-lis is more meaningful to Quebec as does the term Nordiques, so I wouldn't use any symbolism from the old Quebec Nordiques look. it doesn't work when you try to blend the two because the two eras and the two locations are so different. Instead, I'd design a "fauxback"as to what a uniform might have looked like had Denver or the Rocky Mountain region had a team at any point prior to 1995.

I do like the Nets set though. I like the touches you made to the logo to make it more interesting. The pinstriped alternate is also a big plus, as is placing "Nets" across the that black jersey (though I'd make it an alternate rather than the primary roads). Everything about the Nets' current set is rather plain but you livened it up a bit.

The Rocky Mountain Region/Denver did have a team prior to 1995 and that was the Colorado Rockies Hockey Team which moved to New Jersey to become the Devils. Also, the point of this jersey is to combine heritage of both of the heritages of the modern Avs and the team that moved to Denver to become the Avs. It's retro meets modern, so I want to give modern stuff a retro vibe and blend them together to celebrate the old and the new. But I might have an idea based on your post about using the modern Avs and combining their look with the old Colorado Rockies team.

As for the Nets, I am glad you liked the Pinstripe alternate. A lot of people I have shown said it gives them a 90's oversized look like the turn ahead the clock baseball jerseys or something.

2gm6.png

I decided to go ahead and do the idea I got from a post above. I took the former Colorado Rockies Hockey Team and redesigned them using design elements of the past Colorado team and the current team, the Colorado Avalanche. I just started redesigning so I will give you guys more concept designs soon.

So here is the team logo:

3ihb.png
The Secondary logo:
btzj.png
And the first uniform; The home jersey. I wanted the sleeve striping to create imagery of the Colorado flag but with the twist of a modern edgy NHL feel. However I kept the same shoulder patches and main logo as the Colorado Rockies did back in the day. But then I combined it with the colors of the modern day Avs and created a modern style and cut jersey.
y12k.png

2gm6.png

I decided to go ahead and do the idea I got from a post above. I took the former Colorado Rockies Hockey Team and redesigned them using design elements of the past Colorado team and the current team, the Colorado Avalanche. I just started redesigning so I will give you guys more concept designs soon.

So here is the team logo:

3ihb.png
The Secondary logo:

btzj.png
And the first uniform; The home jersey. I wanted the sleeve striping to create imagery of the Colorado flag but with the twist of a modern edgy NHL feel. However I kept the same shoulder patches and main logo as the Colorado Rockies did back in the day. But then I combined it with the colors of the modern day Avs and created a modern style and cut jersey.

y12k.png

Whoa! That is...........something else.

You did a great job with the logos. The yellow outline on the Rockies logo really ties everything together, and the secondary looks really good as well.

However, I would like add some slight critisizm as well. I think the Yellow is too bright. If you make it less glaring, I'm sure it would look even better. Right now, it just seems a bit distracting.

As for the uniform, well to be honest, I don't think it's as good as it can be. First off, there are a LOT of stripes on the arms. Perhaps a simpler appraoch would be better. Also, if you have stripes on the arms, you should have them on the hem as well, otherwise, it looks like something's missing. Stripes on the hem will probably make this uniform more ''complete''. I dont think the two tone burgundy collar is necessary. Finally, adding more burgundy to the sleeves would bring everything together.

All in all, not a bad concept, the idea is great, but the execution could use a little work.

I went ahead and updated the Colorado Rockies meets modern Avs concept and dulled down the yellow like I had been advised. I also fixed up the jerseys a little bit. I reduced the amount of stripes on the sleeves, but I did not add a striping to the bottom hem like someone had mentioned because I just think it becomes overkill. I mean the new Sharks Unis eliminated any bottom hem striping and it looks fine and classy. As for the person who said that the two tone collar isn't neccessary, it isn't supposed to represent a two tone collar. My template uses different tones to show shading and such.

So here is the Primary logo:

35ym.png
The Secondary/ Shoulder Patch logo:
8w39.png
And the Home Uniform:
di2x.png
Keep watching this thread because hopefully by tonight I will have the Road uploaded and two other special ideas.

2gm6.png

Ok so here is the rest of them except I want to try and make a blue alternate logo once I am all settled back into my college dorm room after tomorrow. So for right now, I will give you three very similiar yet different uniforms.

Road Jersey: (I didn't want to overkill on blue so I did the players name and number in maroon.

k9uj.png
White out alternate: Seeing as how the Rockies are very often covered in Snow here in Colorado it is only fitting to have a white out uniform to represent snow caps and snow fall. So I present the White out uniform.
yc1c.png
90's Inspiration Uniform: We all know the 90's were a time of large logos, and very awkward large striping on the guts and bottoms of jerseys. So I decided to created a large striping and large logo all in one with this jersey idea. Then I took the original Rockies script and threw it on there going the same direction as the striping/large logo.
tywl.png
Blue Alternate to come.

2gm6.png

Archived