San Diego Padres redesign

SFGiants58

It's no secret that the Padres have one of the most confused sets in the MLB. The modern scripts clash with the traditional piping, number font, and color scheme to produce a poorly-conceived set. Here is my attempt to give the Padres an identity that is grounded in both the history of the club, and the history of baseball in San Diego.

Logos:

9537924655_a80002cbc3_c.jpg

The first noted change is a switch to brown and orange. While the brown and gold is a good color scheme, I felt the brown and orange was a little more striking, and that orange was different enough from the Giants' shade for it to work. I've also used the 90's and 00's Swinging Friar as a modernization of the older one (that surprisingly turned up again in the latest redesign). The cap logo is the 1991-2003 interlocking logo, alongside the caps of the two fauxbacks.

Home and Road:

9537927485_d87de9b48f_b.jpg

Using a traditional-looking script created by Matt Malinosky, I've been able to use the current piping style without it looking out of place. I also opted to use the sand color (unique in the MLB) and the cap logo (no "San Diego" script looked all that good with the home uniform) on the road uniform. The number font is a classic block variant.

Alts:

9537927637_2626e7ffbe_b.jpg

I added an orange-billed hat to the orange alt, and shifted the color balance on the brown alt to make the crest and number more visible.

Home Fauxback Alts:

9537927831_f3ffa3c17d_b.jpg

These alts (which would only be worn a couple of times per season) are fauxbacks that would not only try to please the fans of brown and gold, but also honor the legacy of the PCL Padres (which the current Padres have tried to do). I converted the 1970s alt to a button-front jersey with belted pants to accommodate for player comfort.

Hope you like them!

I don't have a problem with their current look, but I like this look. However, I think the orange brings them too similar to the division rival Giants, so I'd replace it with a different color from their history like yellow or navy.

I agree. The orange and brown look nice, but it just wouldn't work for the rivalry. If it was any other team though, it would be fine. Just because of the rivalry does it make it not. It looks good though.

Thanks for the C+C guys. The brown and orange really does not work with the Giants in the division, and the brown and gold is also striking enough to work. So here are the updated logos and uniforms, in brown and gold (fauxbacks would remain the same)!

Logos:

9548918961_5408aef411_c.jpg

Home and Road:

9551707038_8c2847e1f4_b.jpg

Alts:

9551707144_9eacf9daea_b.jpg

Hope you like them!

Archived