Atlanta Falcons Nike Concept (Silver vs. Tan)

Brave-Bird 08

So, this is basically an evolution of a Falcons concept I've envisioned for a while and presented in a few forms on the boards before. Right now, I'm trying to decide on whether or not the tan/beige/gold color has staying power.

Here's some of the concept elements explained:

- red helmet with black fade near bottom (much like Arkansas had)

- matte black and glossy gold stripe on helmet

- sleeve design that incorporates logo, rather than generic design

- gold color is nod to original Falcons color scheme, as well as toned down to appear more tan, or to liken more with the actual colors of a falcon

- pants are interchangeable

- team motto, "Rise Up", inscribed in collar

For the sake of comparison, I've rendered the concept in the Falcons' current color scheme, as well as the new color scheme. Let me know what changes could be made next.

Falcons_zps7925cebe.png

Falconssilver_zps0838a41b.png

I don't love it or hate it.

I think it works if you are reintroducing gold as tan and making it a prominent color. I still see Atlanta with silver pants and red helmets. I guess I have never embraced the Glanville Man in Black look.

Old Dog Learning New Tricks.

Great use of Matts new template, love what you have here!

Can I have the link for this template please?

The owner is not ready to release it to the masses of CCSLC yet, when he is ready to do so he will post it. So to answer your question, no I wont give you the link.

Alright, BB...I'm finna nit-pick the s*** out of this.

I really like helmet fade. Its subtle yet noticeable enough to really give off the effect without being an outright distraction (Jaguars, take note.) It's one of those ideas you look at and immediately think to yourself "how did I not think of that?". That said, I'm not too entirely sure the helmet stripe is necessary, although I get what you were trying to do. It's just with that swoopy of a logo, plus the gradient...throwing a stripe over top of all that is a bit much.

I also like the idea of the tan--in theory, but to me it just doesn't work in application. Not that you didn't try, you did--but on the set that has the tan, the color is competing with the white on the homes, while the aways barely featuring it. (To be entirely sure, the same problem could technically exist with the silver...but it could also be seen as a "tint" or "shade" of black, so it's not near as distracting as the tan.) To that end, I think you're best left sticking to red, black, and white.

I've seen your sleeve stripe idea before, on a previous concept of yours, and its a cool representation of one of the "feathers" in the logo. As a matter of fact, if you were to use a helmet stripe, model it after that (it'd fit better here than with the Bills, that's for sure.) That said, the contrast-color cap sleeves on the road set ain't working here--again, too many competing elements just causing overkill there. And since we're discussing stripes, I see the pants stripe only has the red part...why not the white outer stripes from the sleeves? Yes, I know the white "stripes" can be implied on the white pants, but the lack of such on the black pants makes it look incongruous. And speaking of...BLACK ROAD PANTS = WIN. I hate that the Falcons have 86'd theirs in real life, so I'm glad to see them back in this concept set. I believe you need red socks on the roadies, though, to match that helmet. I'd personally try the red socks with the homes, too...but the black ones don't look out of place.

One last thing, and this is a technical thing that I had to have explained to me a while ago that I'm now passing on, and thisis chiefly has to do with the numbers. It's an eye trick that's also long existed on real NFL jerseys, but you see how the white numbers on the black tops appear slightly thicker than their red counterparts on the white tops, even though they may mathematically be the same height, width, and thickness? There's a way to combat that. Well first of all, I think you need a thicker black outline on the red numbers, to help it stand out more. Secondly, whenever you place a lighter object on top of a darker background, it'll more often than not appeae thicker, so one way to combat that is to adjust your stroke thickness up some. Another solution may be no more difficult than aligning your stroke to the inside rather than default or to the outside. (It'll take a real keen eye to make it look visually "in proportion"-- but hell, some of those same subtle nuances also come into play in typography...ask anyone who's ever designed or worked on their own typeface before.)

All in all, I like the idea of where this is headed; try trimming some of the more superfluous details and see what you can come up with that still gives off the same if not even more energy as these.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived