My Journey To My Best Concept

JMurr

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mobile, Alabama (Alabama’s third largest city)

Okay I have six proposals for Mobile. Have a look and please vote. I am still working on the logos for Montgomery and Huntsville, hope to have them up tomorrow. Sometime tomorrow I will also be concluding these votes and putting up the proposals for Alaska.

Five Flags

The flags of five nations have flown over Mobile, Alabama; France, England, Spain, USA, and the Confederate States. In honor of this fact I would create a soccer concept. The crest of logo would be an oval with the words Mobile, Five Flags or a combination written in the oval. From out of the back of the oval will be five flags, triangle or pennant in shape (not the actual five national flags).

Mobile Mystics

New Orleans might be world renowned for its Mardi Gras celebrations but did you know that Mobile was has the oldest organized carnival celebration in the United States? To pay homage to this fact one of the purposed concepts for Mobile Alabama will be a basketball team called the Mobile Mystics. The name comes from the regions mystic societies. A mystic society is a Mardi Gras or carnival social organization. Mobile’s original mystic society was called Boeuf Gras Society or Fatted Ox Society, so I may use an ox for the logo and image of this team. It is a little unorthodox for a team named Mystics but I will see if I can make the ox work. An added element that may latter be incorporated into the alternate logo is a cowbell since another of Mobile’s mystic societies used cowbells in their parades.

Mobile Fire Ants

The red imported fire ant was first introduced into the United States through the port of Mobile. The came onboard ships from South America. I could see this name being used for a Lacrosse team.

Mobile Storm

Mobile like any other city along the Gulf Coast is prone to be hit by hurricanes. Beside that fact Mobile was once determined to be the wettest city in America following a study of precipitation conducted by WeatherBill, Inc. Furthermore the city has also experienced some history of tornados. In keeping with all this one of the purposed ideas for Mobile will be a Football team called the Mobile Storms. For a logo I am thinking about using a hurricane flag along the lines of the logo and concept of Tulsa University.

Mobile Ironsides

One of the driving forces in Mobile’s economy has long been shipbuilding. The first effective Ironside submarine of the Civil War was built in Mobile. Today Mobile’s shipyards build freight, military, and cruise ships. Mobile also has a maritime museum that features many historical military ships. To honor all of this one proposal for a sports team in Mobile is a football team called the Mobile Ironsides.

Mobile Bastion

One of the most distinguishing landmarks of Mobile, Alabama is Fort Conde which was originally built in 1723. The most noteworthy feature of the structure is its Bastion. Therefore this image could be incorporated into a logo and used to brand a soccer team.

7fe6a713-a81f-4ac9-b995-837498cd0466_zps

Poll Question

Sorry if I didn't catch it earlier but are you going state by state with this awesome concept of yours?

Yes, and more. It is a lot to explain, it call all be read in the original post to this thread if you have the time. But let me just summarize real quick. Several concepts for the four largest cities in every state plus 56 wild card cities. Concepts are pitted against one another with new elements being added in each new round. Keep following, the first logos for Birmingham and Huntsville Alabama are coming. They are; Birmingham Blacksmiths and Huntsville Rockets.

Mysticks. You know...Mystics + Sticks= Mysticks! Would work for hockey.

Also, please stick to one sport. Maybe american football?

I think that the multiple sports is a nice idea. I do think, however, that some votes might be just based on people wanting to see, say, a baseball concept. Maybe you should keep the sport that you have in mind secret, JMurr.

I am going to call two more of the votes.

First Montgomery, Alabama with Montgomery Lightening declared the winner

Capitals - 3 Votes (23.08%)

Cotton - 4 Votes (30.77%)

Lightening - 6 Votes (46.15%)

Next Mobile, Alabama with Mobile Mystics declared the winner

Five Flags - 0 Votes

Mystics - 3 Votes

Fire Ants - 0 Votes

Storm - 0 Votes

Ironsides - 1 Vote

Bastion - 0 Votes

Coming up is the poll for Anchorage, Alaska. Vote quick because I don't expect for it to be up long. I want to get up the first logo battle; Montgomery Blacksmiths v. Huntsville Rockets.

Anchorage, Alaska (Alaska’s largest city)

Anchorage Locomotives

It has been said that the growth of Anchorage happened by happenstance. Between 1914 and 1923 Anchorage was selected as the home base for workers of the Alaskan Railroad. This was the key factor in bringing a significant population to the Anchorage area and the railroad industry would serve for some years as the regions primary economic contributor. Therefore to honor this one purposal for Anchorage is a baseball team called the Anchorage Locomotives. I see this teams colors being grey, red, and white and featuring a real looking locomotive as the logo.

Anchorage Pilots

Again another baseball concept based on a transportation industry that helped fuel the growth of this city. Of note Anchorage’s international airport is the third bussiest in terms of cargo in the world.

Anchorage Oilers

This is a bit of a streatch. Oil is not drilled for, or thought to be available in the Anchorage area, however when oil was discouvered in Prudhoe Bay in the 1960’s, the industry became a central component of Anchorages economy. Most of the oil drilled for in Prudhoe Bay is trucked down to Anchorage and then shipped out from there. I think this concept could work with most any sport so in trying to broaden the possibilities lets try this one as a Rugby team.

Anchorage Mudflats

This is a name that would only work in baseball so this has to be a baseball concept. The name is derived from the mudflats that make up most of Anchorages waterfront. It is hard to depict a mudflat in a logo so the look for this team will be based more on the letters A (Anchorage) and M (Mudflats). I might be able to work in the city’s seal with these letters.

Anchorage Volcanoes

The Anchorage area is part of the Pacific Ring of Fire, a string of Volcanoes and Fault line that outline the Pacific Ocean. As recent as 2008 and 1992 Volcanoes have had eruptions near Anchorage. I think this can be worked into a Basketball concept, featuring a silhouette of one of those volcanoes, Mount Redoubt or Mount Spurr, as the base for the logo.

Anchorage Bears

Wildlife is abundant in Anchorage. It is not uncommon to sight wildlife in urban areas. Many animals could serve as the base for a purposed team in Anchorage, so I have picked four that might work for a football team. The first is the Anchorage Bears.

Anchorage Bull Moose

The Bull Moose is perhaps the most commonly sighted wildlife in the city. Therefore the second of the purposed animal named football teams is the Anchorage Bull Moose. Try to picture a football helmet with a Bull Moose facing you and a circle in the background. I am thinking colors Red and a shade of brown.

Anchorage Wolves

Wolves are another fierce animal that could serve as a nickname and mascot for a local football team.

Anchorage Foxes

Though Bears and Wolves are probably much more fierce, I think foxes, another common animal in the Anchorage area, could be unique. So a forth option for the football team is the Foxes.

So I am new to this poll thing. Not quite sure why it is not letting those who have voted before for the Anchorage question to vote for the first logos. So if you cant vote just post your vote like some have already done. I will tally them all, both those in the poll and those done by post.

And please send some C&C to be considered as these progress.

My vote in Birmingham v. Huntsville

Birmingham

Archived