JMurr

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going to call these votes

Sitka Brown Bears vs. Fairbanks North Stars

Winner Fairbanks North Stars

Vote Count

Brown Bears – 0 Votes (0%) updated vote count - 0 Votes (0%)

North Stars – 4 Votes (100%) 5 Votes (100%)

Team name for Fort Smith, Arkansas

Winner Fort Smith Marshals

Marshals – 3 Votes (75%) updated vote count - 3 Votes (60%)

Doughboys – 1 Vote (25%) 2 Votes (40%)

Team name for Fayetteville, Arkansas

Winner Fayetteville Hogs

Ozarks – 1 Vote (25%) updated vote count - 2 Votes (40%)

Devils – 0 Votes (0%) 0 Votes (0%)

Hogs – 3 Votes (75%) 3 Votes (60%)

Team name for Springdale, Arkansas

Winner Springdale Raptors

Chickens – 1 Vote (25%) updated vote count - 1 Vote (20%)

Raptors – 3 Votes (75%) 3 Votes (60%)

Islanders – 0 Votes (0%) 1 Vote (20%)

Look for these coming soon. Also vote now on another round of stuff on this page or the new thread.

BIG CHANGES COMING

I am disappointed in the recent vote counts. The highest volume of voting came when I was able to create voting polls. Unfortunately I have now been experiencing some technical issues that are not allowing me to create new polls. Therefore I will be moving this to a new thread where I think I will be able to create new polls. I am for now not abandoning this thread however, just in case my plan fails to work. So technically for these coming polls everyone will be able to cast at least two votes.

MORE BIG NEWS – ATTENTION ALL CANADIANS

Rather than having 14 wild card groups I will only be doing 4. In place of those 10 other wild card groups I will be doing British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, Newfoundland and Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island. This means that since I am going in alphabetical order I need to back up and get started on Alberta. While I am still putting together proposals for team names for Alberta’s four largest cities I will continue to put up proposals from US States that I already have ready. But no new logos will go up for these until I am back on track alphabetically. This will not affect Alaska. So the next new logos will be for Alberta’s four largest cities.

North Stars, Doughboys, Ozarks, Islanders

Sorry I was in the middle of totaling everything up when you posted this. Give me a minute I will add in your vote.

7fe6a713-a81f-4ac9-b995-837498cd0466_zps

What name do you want to see used for Los Angeles, California?

Los Angeles Stars

Los Angeles Oak

Los Angeles Mullhollands

Los Angeles Olympians

Los Angeles Oilers

Los Angeles, California (California’s largest city)

Los Angeles Stars

In my Pro Curling thread I have a team called the Hollywood Stars. The name here I think is commonly understood. Drawing from Los Angeles’ high profile movie industry to name a team.

Los Angeles Poison Oak

Did you know that one of the original names given to the arena now occupied by Los Angeles was Yang-na which translates to “poison oak place”? Well it’s a fact and with that I give you the purposely to name a sports team in the area the Los Angeles Poison Oak.

Los Angeles Mullhollands

Were it not for a man name William Mullholland, Los Angeles would not be the great city expanse it is today. Mullholland was the key engineer in bringing water to Los Angeles. Today a major thoroughfare in the city is named after him and even a large water fountain. So it is purposed that he also be honored with a sports team.

Los Angles Olympians

In 1932 and 1984 the city of Los Angeles was the host city of the Summer Olympics. These two Olympic Games were some of the most successful ever. The presence of the Olympics contributed to development in the city. Even today nearly thirty years since the last Olympic Games in Los Angeles, one can still see the signs of its presence. The Olympic flame and rings would of course serve as the inspiration for a logo but perhaps the eagle mascot of the ’84 games could be worked in as an alternate.

Los Angeles Oilers

Did you know that Los Angeles was once the nation’s largest producer of petroleum? Therefore one purposed team name is Oilers.

What name do you want to see used for Calgary, Alberta?

Calgary Drillers

Calgary Blackfoot

Calgary Vikings

Calgary Cowboys

Calgary Rockies

Calgary +15

Calgary Highlanders

Calgary, Alberta (Alberta’s largest city)

Calgary Drillers

One of the cities primary economic driving factors is the petroleum industry.

Calgary Blackfoot

The original inhabitants of the Calgary area were members of the Blackfoot Confederacy.

Calgary Vikings

The exact meaning and origins of the name Calgary are disputed but one possibility is that it comes from Old Norse words meaning cold garden. To highlight this Norse connection I propose Vikings.

Calgary Cowboys

A commonly used team name in Calgary that draws inspiration from Calgary’s ranching history as well as its world famous Stampede Rodeo show.

Calgary Rockies

Calgary is at the meeting place between the Canadian Rockies and the Canadian Prairie. The mountains impact Calgary’s climate, they have also impacted the cities image. The mountains helped land the city the 1988 Winter Olympics, an event that essentially put Calgary on the map. The mountains are also a draw for Calgary’s tourism industry.

Calgary +15

Calgary has one of the worlds most extensive skyways or walkways that connect buildings above street level. This skyway is referred to as +15 due to the fact that the bridges that cross streets must be above 15 feet.

Calgary Highlanders

Calgary has a strong military presence. One of the most distinguished units in the city is the Calgary Highlanders, who are also highly regarded for their marching band. Therefore to honor them one name could be the Highlanders.

Calling these votes!!!

What logo do you like best Anchorage Foxes or Juneau Gold?

Anchorage Foxes – 8 Votes (66.64%)

Juneau Gold – 4 Votes (33.32%)

Winner Anchorage Foxes. Juneau Gold is eliminated.

What team name do you want to see used for Los Angeles, California?

Stars – 6 Votes (46.14%)

Poison Oak – 0 Votes (0%)

Mullholands – 2 Votes (15.38%)

Olympians – 3 Votes (23.07%)

Oilers – 2 Votes (15.38%)

Winner Los Angeles Stars

What team name do you want to see used for Calgary, Alberta?

Drillers – 2 Votes (15.38%)

Blackfoot – 2 Votes (15.38%)

Vikings – 1 Vote (7.69%)

Cowboys – 2 Votes (15.38%)

Rockies – 0 Votes (0%)

+15 – 2 Votes (15.38%)

Highlanders – 4 Votes (30.76%)

Winner Calgary Highlanders

New Poll!!!

San Francisco, California (California’s fourth largest city)

San Francisco Missions

A minor league baseball team once carried this name. The name is a tribute to the original settlement of the San Francisco area and to the broader California state history.

San Francisco Nuggets

The NFL’s San Francisco 49ers has one of the most outstanding concepts in all of sports. Since that is already taken I propose another name that would pay homage to the city’s historic ties to the California Gold Rush.

San Francisco Quakes

Surprisingly this is a popular sports team name in California. One would think that those who live everyday with the possibility of being struck by such force of Mother Nature they would not want daily reminders of the fact by naming their sports club after it. Then again maybe it’s a token of appeasement to Mother Nature, by recognizing the Mother Nature’s potential wrath we hope to appease her.

San Francisco Golden Gates

I don’t think this one needs much explaining. Golden Gate bridge = name.

San Francisco Phoenix

Many sports teams have avoided the name Phoenix since it would be confusing if they were in a league with a team from Phoenix, Arizona. Now Phoenix, the city, is in this competition but none the less I am going to offer the name up as a possible team name for San Francisco. The name fits in the sense that San Francisco rose out of ashes following the famous 1906 earthquake and emerged once again as one of Americas most important cities.

San Francisco Flower Power

This team’s concept will be influenced by the Summer of Love and hippie culture that is closely linked to San Francisco.

San Francisco Birdmen

This name is a tribute to Alcatraz, one of the many famed sights of San Francisco. The name is inspired by Robert Stroud one of the most famous of Alcatraz’s inmates. For a logo the team is likely to feature a convict or crook of some kind.

Lethbridge, Alberta (Alberta’s fourth largest city)

Lethbridge Rockies

Lethbridge is another city in Alberta that is greatly affected in many ways by the presence of the nearby Rocky Mountains.

Lethbridge Coal Kings

From 1874 to 1957 Lethbridge had a strong coal mining industry.

Edmonton, Alberta (Alberta’s second largest and capital city)

Edmonton Diamonds

Edmonton is the staging ground for diamond mining operations taking place in the Northwest Territories of Canada.

Edmonton Festivals

Edmonton has been nicknamed “The Festival City”, due to its many festivals that fill most of the calendar.

Edmonton Beavers

Edmonton’ history is directly linked to the Hudson Bay Company. Fur trading, particularly Beaver skins, was a big business for the Hudson Bay Company during the days of the Canadian frontier.

Edmonton Northerners

Edmonton is the northernmost city in North America with a population greater then one million. It has also been referred to as the “Gateway to the North”. Furthermore it served as a staging area for the miners during the Klondike Gold Rush.

Edmonton Drillers

The economy of Edmonton has long been dominated by the oil industry. Edmonton is believed to sit on the largest deposits of oil in the world behind only Saudi Arabia. The industry is so ever present that the cities most popular sports franchise, the NHL’s Edmonton Oilers, are named for the industry. Not wanting to repeat that name but still wanting to link a sports franchise with the industry, I give you the Edmonton Drillers.

Edmonton Klondikes

Edmonton’s past is tied to the Klondike gold rush. Furthermore the city’s largest festival each year is K-Days, the K standing for Klondike.

Edmonton Frontiersmen

The frontiersman used in the cities coat of arms could serve for the base of a logo

Calling these votes

What team name do you want to see used for San Francisco, California?

Missions - 1 Vote (7.69%)

Nuggets - 2 Votes (15.38%)

Quakes - 6 Votes (46.15%)

Golden Gates - 2 Votes (15.38%)

Phoenix - 1 Vote (7.69%)

Flower Power - 1 Vote (7.69%)

Birdmen - 0 Votes (0%)

What team name do you want to see used for Lethbridge, Alberta?

Rockies - 2 Votes (15.38%)

Coal Kings - 11 Votes (84. 62%)

What team name do you want to see used for Edmonton, Alberta?

Diamonds - 1 Vote (7.69%)

Festivals - 0 Votes (0%)

Beavers - 2 Votes (15.38%)

Northerners - 1 Vote (7.69%)

Drillers - 5 Votes (38.46%)

Klondikes - 3 Votes (23.08%)

Frontiersmen - 1 Vote (7.69%)

New Polls!!!!! VOTE!!!!!

What logo do you like best Anchorage Foxes or Sitka Brown Bears?

What name do you want to see used for a team in Red Deer, Alberta?

Blackfoot

Cree

Bison

What name do you want to see used for a team in Vancouver, British Columbia?

Longshoremen

Lumberjacks

Stars

Phoenix

Outfitters

Dragons

Orcas

AnchorageFoxesvsSitkaBrownBears_zps8e215

Red Deer, Alberta (Alberta’s third largest city)

Red Deer Blackfoot

Members of the Blackfoot Confederacy were among the earliest inhabitants of the Red Deer area.

Red Deer Cree

This is another native group that were among the earliest settlers in the Red Deer area.

Red Deer Bison

The Red Deer River was a common gathering spot for Bison that roamed the plains, before large scale human settlement.

Vancouver, British Columbia

Vancouver Longshoremen

A primary draw for development and growth of the city of Vancouver was its large natural harbor. Today Vancouver remains one of Canada’s most vital ports. An argument could be made that it is the most important of all Canadian Ports since it is the largest port in the country on the Pacific Ocean.

Vancouver Lumberjacks

The timber industry remains one of the most important industries in the city. This is also the name of a team in my Pro Curling thread.

Vancouver Stars

Vancouver has been called the Hollywood of the North due to the large amount of film and television production that has moved to the city.

Vancouver Phoenix

Vancouver is another city that the Phoenix moniker would work for. In 1886 the city had a great fire but rebuilt and emerged from the ashes.

Vancouver Outfitters

Vancouver was another town that served as a staging area and outfitter for those headed north to take part in the Klondike Gold Rush. Vancouver itself also experienced its own gold rush in 1858. Vancouver’s largest contribution to all of this however was in the retail sector. Local retailers in Vancouver like Woodwards and the Hudson Bay Company would supply prospectors with their necessities. The business that came from these prospectors helped establish Woodwards and Hudson Bay Company as legitimate national retailers.

Vancouver Dragons

Vancouver has a very large Chinese population. One major factor in this is when Hong Kong changed hands from Great Britain to China many residents immigrated to Vancouver. With this in mind a Chinese dragon could serve as the base for a team logo.

Vancouver Orcas

The killer whale is an ever present symbol of the city since it is often spotted off the shore.

Archived