North American Throwball Association- Victoria Orcas

jmoe12

WARNING: This is my first try at anything of the concept sort so don't expect any miracles.

BEGINNINGS
In 1973, Jason Moeldour, a Phy. Ed teacher in Montana developed a new sport for his students, naming it "Throwball". The sport quickly spread across the United States and Canada, with professional leagues being founded in both countries starting in 1979. By 1986, the sport had taken over Central America, the Caribbean and South America. There were professional Throwball leagues in the 6 inhabited continents by the early 1990s.
BASICS
Throwball is played in a hockey-sized rink, but on grass, the object of the game is to put the ball in the opponents net. The game is basically a mash-up of hockey and soccer, hockey in the rink and goal size, the boards, on the fly line changes and the hard-hitting nature of the game. Soccer's influence is apparent in that you can use any part of your body except your feet.
TEAMS
Throwball is played by two teams of 6 with a center, two wings, two posts, and one goalie. Teams play three 20 minute periods and if the game is tied, two sudden-death overtime periods of 10 minutes are played. If still tied, the teams go to shootout. Penalty shots are taken from a set mark 15 feet from the goal. The shooter may not leave the mark.
THE BALL
The ball is about half the size of a basketball and is made of the same material as a playground ball
A points system similar to hockey is used and the points are given as follows
3 points: Regulation win
2 points: Overtime/Shootout Win
1 Point: Overtime/Shootout loss
0 points: Regulation loss
Any further questions you have, feel free to ask. I will also be open to new suggestions for the sport's name as it has come to my attention that there already is a sport called Throwball. Now on to NATA.

The North American Throwball Association was the first major professional league to be founded, starting in 1979. There are only 4 teams that have survived those 34 years and are still going strong. These teams are
Lupes de Montreal
Toronto TC (Later dubbed, the "Lamplighters")
Empire TC (New York)
TC Azteca (Mexico City)

Now, the league has expanded to 40 teams set in two tiers. Tier 1 has 24 teams and Tier 2 has 16. At the end of each season, the bottom four teams from Tier 1 are replaced by the top 4 finishers from Tier 2. The 36 teams I have not mentioned will be introduced gradually. The first team being Archers United (Tier 1) based in St. Louis.

Archers United was founded in 1992. They have not enjoyed much success, having only been in Tier 1 for 8 of the 20 seasons they've played. They're a program on the rise having spent the last four seasons in Tier 1. The team is built around loudmouth Nicaraguan Cristobal Del Nunez. Always capable of an interesting quote, his mouth has made him many fans and many haters. Here they are, Archers United!

NATAjerseys_zps588972c1.jpg

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's definitely a start, but you have to clean it up a bit. The St. Louis arch,i think that you tried to make it faded a bit, but it's kind of pixelized. I would actually make it all black, and maybe arch it over the script. I really like how you used the St. Louis flag. I also really like the striping on both jerseys. As for the sport, i think it's definitely different, being full contact and everything. The histories are also pretty cool. Always room for improvement, but for a first concept, It's not that bad. Clean it up.

EDIT: Looking at it again, maybe make a white outline around the flag on the red shorts. You can't really tell that it's a flag. What program are you using?

A

Work! It! Can Head What Gears The To 18947. Up

It's definitely a start, but you have to clean it up a bit. The St. Louis arch,i think that you tried to make it faded a bit, but it's kind of pixelized. I would actually make it all black, and maybe arch it over the script. I really like how you used the St. Louis flag. I also really like the striping on both jerseys. As for the sport, i think it's definitely different, being full contact and everything. The histories are also pretty cool. Always room for improvement, but for a first concept, It's not that bad. Clean it up.

EDIT: Looking at it again, maybe make a white outline around the flag on the red shorts. You can't really tell that it's a flag. What program are you using?

I'm using paint at the moment. I'll take another look at the stuff you mentioned and see what I can do.

Guest darkpiranha

Looking forward to following this. However I have one big suggestion. Come up with not only a new template, but a unique configuration of elements for the uniform. Right now it's just a soccer uniform, of which we already have a million cool concepts floating around, with more guaranteed to come. As this is a sport that's unique, have some fun with the uniform. Maybe there's elbow pads that allow for interesting colors or logo placement. Maybe instead of shorts, it's longer pants. Maybe instead of just a shirt, it's some sort of layered thing, like a tank top over an undershirt that allows for neat color combos and crazy undershirt styles. You're obviously free to do what you'd like, but I think you have a really fun opportunity to do something unique that will stand out visually from all the other concepts we see.

Looking forward to following this. However I have one big suggestion. Come up with not only a new template, but a unique configuration of elements for the uniform. Right now it's just a soccer uniform, of which we already have a million cool concepts floating around, with more guaranteed to come. As this is a sport that's unique, have some fun with the uniform. Maybe there's elbow pads that allow for interesting colors or logo placement. Maybe instead of shorts, it's longer pants. Maybe instead of just a shirt, it's some sort of layered thing, like a tank top over an undershirt that allows for neat color combos and crazy undershirt styles. You're obviously free to do what you'd like, but I think you have a really fun opportunity to do something unique that will stand out visually from all the other concepts we see.

Never thought of that. If I can design a template to my liking, I will make it different.

Never thought of that. If I can design a template to my liking, I will make it different.

I also like that idea.

The concept isn't too bad, but the sort seems very similar to European handball

I wish I could show you a video of the sport, but as of now I am the only one who has ever played it and I play it in my backyard, not an actual rink.

I also like that idea.

I'll make the template hopefully by the end of the week, redo Archers on the new template, and then continue with the series.

Guest darkpiranha

Basketball style tank top overlaying an underarmor style bodysuit that goes all the way up the neck to the chin. Alternately, there can be one long sleeve and one short sleeve. A belt like above, but maybe the overhang on the right actually forms a sort of pouch for the ball in between rounds. Kind of like a baby papoose. Maybe the players wear a stylized doo-rag that can prominently feature the logo or stripes or team demarcation.

Basketball style tank top overlaying an underarmor style bodysuit that goes all the way up the neck to the chin. Alternately, there can be one long sleeve and one short sleeve. A belt like above, but maybe the overhang on the right actually forms a sort of pouch for the ball in between rounds. Kind of like a baby papoose. Maybe the players wear a stylized doo-rag that can prominently feature the logo or stripes or team demarcation.

I'll think about it. One thing I was looking at was padded sleeves kind of like Dwight Howard's and some sort of head gear. I was thinking padded but I'm not sure how to show that it's padded and still make it look cool.

belts. No like belt belts, but sort of like this:

213533.jpg

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure I could make that work. I want the design to be smooth and fluid, and I feel the belt would disrupt that. I'll keep it in mind, but I'm not guaranteeing anything.

Guest darkpiranha

Obviously, what you do is entirely up to you. This is a concept forum, and there are no rules except what you put on yourself. That said, the only reason I'm suggesting these changes, is if it was going to look just like a soccer uniform, then why not just make it soccer. Since this is a sport you're making up in its entirety, you can do literally whatever you want and no one can call you out on it or say you're doing it wrong. Uniforms are fascinating as design subjects because they constrain the designer to a certain shape and possibly an established tradition of design rules. Since we've had football helmets and padded uniforms, blocky hockey jerseys and pants and socks, soccer shirt and shorts, baseball jerseys and hats, those are all shapes that there's not much space left for originality or innovation. But with a brand new sport, you can create entirely new shapes and 'traditional design rules' that are interesting, fun, and unique.

But you can also just make it a soccer-style uniform if you're really not interested in this extent of design. (Maybe you're more interested in the history of the teams as opposed to the logo design, I mean).

Take anything I or anyone else says with a grain of salt, and in the end, do what makes you comfortable and what keeps you interested in creating this.

Obviously, what you do is entirely up to you. This is a concept forum, and there are no rules except what you put on yourself. That said, the only reason I'm suggesting these changes, is if it was going to look just like a soccer uniform, then why not just make it soccer. Since this is a sport you're making up in its entirety, you can do literally whatever you want and no one can call you out on it or say you're doing it wrong. Uniforms are fascinating as design subjects because they constrain the designer to a certain shape and possibly an established tradition of design rules. Since we've had football helmets and padded uniforms, blocky hockey jerseys and pants and socks, soccer shirt and shorts, baseball jerseys and hats, those are all shapes that there's not much space left for originality or innovation. But with a brand new sport, you can create entirely new shapes and 'traditional design rules' that are interesting, fun, and unique.

But you can also just make it a soccer-style uniform if you're really not interested in this extent of design. (Maybe you're more interested in the history of the teams as opposed to the logo design, I mean).

Take anything I or anyone else says with a grain of salt, and in the end, do what makes you comfortable and what keeps you interested in creating this.

Thanks again DP. I did really like the idea of making my own template, but I was stuck on how to make it original. Soon after I asked for suggestions, I had a wave of inspiration and started looking into pads sort of like thisMCD-6500r.jpgI

I was thinking each team could have these in custom designs and colors, and the players could decide if they wanted to wear them. I was also thinking similar pads for the legs to protect the players from getting hurt when they're drilled into the boards. I also wanted headgear to prevent concussions, but I didn't know what to do. I did like your do rag idea, though.

Archived