San Diego Padres Possibly To Get New Uniforms

FRIAR_BOLT_619

So the solution is to make each piece of piping its own yellow-brown-yellow stripe. I'm picturing it in my head and I like how it looks. If I get some time I'll concept it later.

I think that might be too busy. Six stripes on each sleeve and at the neck? Better, I think, to copy the original and set the outermost stripe back away from the edge a bit to show some white.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Literally ANY of their pre-2004 sets or color schemes would be an upgrade. But if it were up to me...

2012Padres.jpg

This is the best concept we've seen here. But, it has a few flaws:

* get rid of the orange; use only brown and yellow

* wordmarks should be radially arched

* one cap -- the one with the bell; get rid of the single-colour cap and the yellow-front-panel cap

But kudos on that wordmark, especially on your creation of the road version. Nice numbers, too.

There are three design elements that are distinctively "Padres": the brown-and-yellow colour scheme, the bell cap, and that wonderful wordmark. A redesign will be successful to the extent that it incorporates these distinctive elements of the brand.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Literally ANY of their pre-2004 sets or color schemes would be an upgrade. But if it were up to me...

2012Padres.jpg

This is the best concept we've seen here. But, it has a few flaws:

* get rid of the orange; use only brown and yellow

* wordmarks should be radially arched

* one cap -- the one with the bell; get rid of the single-colour cap and the yellow-front-panel cap

But kudos on that wordmark, especially on your creation of the road version. Nice numbers, too.

There are three design elements that are distinctively "Padres": the brown-and-yellow colour scheme, the bell cap, and that wonderful wordmark. A redesign will be successful to the extent that it incorporates these distinctive elements of the brand.

I definitely agree. The only thing I would disagree with is getting rid of the orange. If it's kept to almost an absolute minimum, then this concept would work beautifully.

Either this or the blue and orange 1990s jerseys would work.

found this posted awhile ago on the forums

SanDiegoPadres_brown-gold_uniforms_zpsa5

tumblr_m2iw5jyJoQ1r1kle4o1_500.gif

"IT'S OV-A!"

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Here comes the part that gets me blasted out of the thread:

I'd rather have the Padres go back to navy and orange. While yes 1) the brown and yellow go back to the team's original roots and 2) the brown and yellow is much more unique and will help them stand out against all the red, blue, and black in professional sports these days, I still contend their late 1990s set's colors look better.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

So, this is just a concept thread now? Because we could do that over in Concepts.

Well, with no updates or news, what's there to put after "I hope they return to brown and yellow!"?

-BigBubba

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I definitely prefer the the "taller" iterations of the interlocking "SD" (which I think stared with the dropping of yellow in the mid-1980s). I feel this way regardless of color scheme.

I don't like the "squished down" SDs from the earlier days

We know if they go with brown, it's coming with yellow, but I hope they don't revert to the cap logos from those days.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

So the solution is to make each piece of piping its own yellow-brown-yellow stripe. I'm picturing it in my head and I like how it looks. If I get some time I'll concept it later.

I think that might be too busy. Six stripes on each sleeve and at the neck? Better, I think, to copy the original and set the outermost stripe back away from the edge a bit to show some white.

I tried it and it was way too busy.

Here's how I'd dress the Padres:

Padres2_zps25d241ed.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

Very nice, except for that hideous script wordmark. Of all the things to survive another re-branding...

We know if they go with brown, it's coming with yellow

We don't know that. I wish it were so, but teams have a nasty habit of making uniform choices I don't like. ;)

Even if they do, I'd suspect that they keep the current logo (or create a new one) rather than bring back one of the old cap logos.

Here comes the part that gets me blasted out of the thread:

I'd rather have the Padres go back to navy and orange. While yes 1) the brown and yellow go back to the team's original roots and 2) the brown and yellow is much more unique and will help them stand out against all the red, blue, and black in professional sports these days, I still contend their late 1990s set's colors look better.

Could not agree more. The late '90's set with the blue and orange was the classiest looking set the Pads have worn. And the color pairing while not as unique as brown and yellow was far better looking and far more marketable while still being unique enough to stand out in the crowd.

Some great concepts here. Unfortunately, this is the Padres, and they won't do any of this. They will end up going red, white and blue AND keeping the camo, because they seem obsessed with paying tribute to the military. Sometimes it seems that is the only part of the fanbase they care about.

They may even change the name to the San Diego SEALs as a further tribute. :)

I tried it and it was way too busy.

Here's how I'd dress the Padres:

Padres2_zps25d241ed.png

1. Maybe put the SD logo on the gray road, and the SAN DIEGO on the brown alternate, so that it looks different than the BP jersey. It'd be the road alt.

2. Move the numbers up to the proper place. I'm not sure who started that trend (White Sox maybe? Rangers? Nationals?) but the numbers look much better when they're aligned closer to the chest logo.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived