San Diego Padres Possibly To Get New Uniforms

FRIAR_BOLT_619

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guest, the Padres do everything you list and then some. It's not like the camo uni is the only thing they do. And with the current camo it's not even as though they just threw together some camo. They actually licensed the US Marine Corps actual camo pattern and if I'm not mistaken they're paying the gov't for the privilege of using it.

As for the idea that red, white and blue would leave no room for the friar or Padres name, that hasn't been true with the color schemes the last 23 years or the entire PCL run before the '69 brown and gold. And the same argument could be made for half the league if you're going to try to make that specious argument against the Pads.

As far as I can tell, the Padres are the only team in baseball named after a specific group of people, who belonged to a specific group. The Franciscan order of Friars. It seems ill-fitting to create a purely red/white/blue "American/Military" identity for a team named for people who:

1. Were not Americans. 2. Were not soldiers. 3. Established a chain of religious outposts in a region that was first New Spain, and later, Mexico. Other than doing it purely for the green, there is really no reason to do it.

Why do you say the money is the only reason? Not that they need another reason since baseball is a business first and foremost after all. I mean some say it is pandering to wear the camo or red white and blue... but if a large chunk of your audience is in the military, are veterans, or are family members of current and former service members, to say nothing of the military being one of SD's largest employers and economic drivers... wouldn't you try to play to your audience too? Too say nothing of the aesthetic issues that brown presents, which frankly is why no teams current wear the color.

True enough, it is definitely a business, and if the "Padres" name is an awkward fit in today's San Diego, and is hard to build an identity around, then maybe it's time to think about changing it. I like the history behind the name, and the colors of the 70's and 80's that went with it, but over the last 20 some years, it has been put in the back seat in favor of navy blue, further diluted with ocean, sand and sky themes , and now, it's just plain old dull. With a possible red/white/blue scheme, it wouldn't be in the back seat anymore, it would probably be put in a trailer behind the car. Maybe it's time to get something that all those military folks can really relate to.

You do realize that red, and particularly the white and blue came with the Padres name long before the brown was a thought in C. Arnholt Smith's eye? Yes most Franciscan Friars wore brown, but the San Diego Padres have not worn brown the majority of their existence. And they're not alone in being a team with a name that wears a primary color not typically associated with that name. Unless you know a bunch of pirates who wore yellow? Or Trolley Dodgers who wore blue? Or a bunch of Marlins that are bright orange and teal? Or Angels who wore red with devilish horns?

Can we put this fallacy that the Padres have to wear brown to make sense to bed. Just admit you want them to wear brown because you want diversity in MLB's uniform coloring. Not because you think it's an insult to Franciscans that they don't or that you'd actually buy a taco bell cap if they ever went back to it.

If you were the Padres front office, though, wouldn't you want a unique, distinctive color scheme? I feel it's one of the reasons both the Astros and Blue Jays recently modernized old looks: because they went back to both colors and a particular look that they were known for.

It seems a lot of people remember the Padres being brown and orange, brown and yellow, brown and whatever. Seems like it would be a smart branding move to bring back brown.

Guest, the Padres do everything you list and then some. It's not like the camo uni is the only thing they do. And with the current camo it's not even as though they just threw together some camo. They actually licensed the US Marine Corps actual camo pattern and if I'm not mistaken they're paying the gov't for the privilege of using it.

As for the idea that red, white and blue would leave no room for the friar or Padres name, that hasn't been true with the color schemes the last 23 years or the entire PCL run before the '69 brown and gold. And the same argument could be made for half the league if you're going to try to make that specious argument against the Pads.

As far as I can tell, the Padres are the only team in baseball named after a specific group of people, who belonged to a specific group. The Franciscan order of Friars. It seems ill-fitting to create a purely red/white/blue "American/Military" identity for a team named for people who:

1. Were not Americans. 2. Were not soldiers. 3. Established a chain of religious outposts in a region that was first New Spain, and later, Mexico. Other than doing it purely for the green, there is really no reason to do it.

Why do you say the money is the only reason? Not that they need another reason since baseball is a business first and foremost after all. I mean some say it is pandering to wear the camo or red white and blue... but if a large chunk of your audience is in the military, are veterans, or are family members of current and former service members, to say nothing of the military being one of SD's largest employers and economic drivers... wouldn't you try to play to your audience too? Too say nothing of the aesthetic issues that brown presents, which frankly is why no teams current wear the color.

True enough, it is definitely a business, and if the "Padres" name is an awkward fit in today's San Diego, and is hard to build an identity around, then maybe it's time to think about changing it. I like the history behind the name, and the colors of the 70's and 80's that went with it, but over the last 20 some years, it has been put in the back seat in favor of navy blue, further diluted with ocean, sand and sky themes , and now, it's just plain old dull. With a possible red/white/blue scheme, it wouldn't be in the back seat anymore, it would probably be put in a trailer behind the car. Maybe it's time to get something that all those military folks can really relate to.

You do realize that red, and particularly the white and blue came with the Padres name long before the brown was a thought in C. Arnholt Smith's eye? Yes most Franciscan Friars wore brown, but the San Diego Padres have not worn brown the majority of their existence. And they're not alone in being a team with a name that wears a primary color not typically associated with that name. Unless you know a bunch of pirates who wore yellow? Or Trolley Dodgers who wore blue? Or a bunch of Marlins that are bright orange and teal? Or Angels who wore red with devilish horns?

Can we put this fallacy that the Padres have to wear brown to make sense to bed. Just admit you want them to wear brown because you want diversity in MLB's uniform coloring. Not because you think it's an insult to Franciscans that they don't or that you'd actually buy a taco bell cap if they ever went back to it.

Yes, I realize that. The Giants, Pirates, and Reds also wore red and blue before the late 40's. Glad they found something different they could stick with.

We will have to agree to disagree about the Padres. I grew up with the Padres in brown, and have watched them since 1982. I liked the colors, and they always made sense to me. You obviously don't like brown, and that's ok. And, I don't have to wait until they go back to brown( which they won't) to buy a taco bell cap. I have one of each already, with orange piping, and without. Also, a 1969, 1972, and 1985 cap.

My guess is that in about 2 years from now, when they do something different, you will be overjoyed, and I won't. :) We will see.

If you were the Padres front office, though, wouldn't you want a unique, distinctive color scheme? I feel it's one of the reasons both the Astros and Blue Jays recently modernized old looks: because they went back to both colors and a particular look that they were known for.

It seems a lot of people remember the Padres being brown and orange, brown and yellow, brown and whatever. Seems like it would be a smart branding move to bring back brown.

A lot of people I talk to around SD anecdotally remember the brown too, but more as a historical footnote joke than as a viable aesthetic choice. And it's not like those that like brown can't buy one of the many throwbacks that are out there on the market. That may be the overriding reason they never go back to the brown. They can sell a ton more throwbacks as long as they hold out and not go back to brown (which their own polling reportedly tells them is not the favored color of the overall fanbase despite the vocal brown folks), than if they ever brought it back. Ideally I agree they do need to find a style and stick with it. That is long past due. And ideally they'd find something more unique than their current admittedly bland blue and white unis (they never should have dropped the sand), yet something that is marketable to everyone not just the brown lovers or the people like myself who liked the recently replaced set.

That's where I think the late 90's set or something similar comes in. It's got orange and blue which is a unique combo in all of MLB, it was the uniform worn by the unquestionably best Padres team in the franchise's history ('98), it's got the orange from the late 80's brown unis combined with the navy blue (in a navy town) they've worn for almost a half century now, and best of all it was a damned classy uniform on top of that. Honestly I can't deny that would be preferable to yet another red, white and blue combo even if the PCL Pads wore that prevoiusly.

i want the padres to wear brown because it's my favorite color, looks fantastic, and is underutilized in sports. no other reason.

if they switched to brown, red, and off-white, i'd buy a hat. that's my favorite color scheme.

I guess the reason I can't get behind brown for the Padres anymore is that relative to, say, the midwest/rust belt, San Diego doesn't particularly seem like a place that lives in its own past. Now, some contrarian could easily start posting pictures of old buildings within San Diego city limits, but no, that's not really what I mean! It's just that I've always thought of San Diego as having a certain contemporary spirit not necessarily associated with that Pittsburgh/Cleveland/Detroit triad (which always seems to be fighting amongst itself). Things are new, people are new, so on, so forth. The park is even a departure from Neo-Retro Mania (other than incorporating the WMSB).

And also, the weather is really nice! I realize brown makes sense for friars, but it doesn't reflect a city on the ocean where everything is in a near-perpetual state of pleasantness. So I think when they came out with a uniform that connoted breeziness and smoothness and ocean waves, they really, sigh, hit it out of the park. Of course, the rest of the identity was full of little hitches that I didn't like, but as an overarching concept, it was a very good idea. It made them stand out in a way that the old navy/orange didn't (which, btw, has no redeeming qualities, and why are we even talking about it).

So while I think brown worked well for the '70s and '80s, I think they had to move on.

The city's history with brown goes back pretty far back to the mission days and the friar's cloak/robe...given that the city was founded by said missionaries and is essentially the state's 1st city I think you could make a strong case for brown as a primary. Additionally you could say that the yellow represents the 300+ sunny days/year and you have youself a pretty good color combo with real local relevance. Bonus points as well for not being red+navy.

Born and raised in San Diego. Brown and gold are perfect for the mascot and the city.

8505_10200489396652091_108365584_n.jpg

I guess the reason I can't get behind brown for the Padres anymore is that relative to, say, the midwest/rust belt, San Diego doesn't particularly seem like a place that lives in its own past. Now, some contrarian could easily start posting pictures of old buildings within San Diego city limits, but no, that's not really what I mean! It's just that I've always thought of San Diego as having a certain contemporary spirit not necessarily associated with that Pittsburgh/Cleveland/Detroit triad (which always seems to be fighting amongst itself). Things are new, people are new, so on, so forth. The park is even a departure from Neo-Retro Mania (other than incorporating the WMSB).

And also, the weather is really nice! I realize brown makes sense for friars, but it doesn't reflect a city on the ocean where everything is in a near-perpetual state of pleasantness. So I think when they came out with a uniform that connoted breeziness and smoothness and ocean waves, they really, sigh, hit it out of the park. Of course, the rest of the identity was full of little hitches that I didn't like, but as an overarching concept, it was a very good idea. It made them stand out in a way that the old navy/orange didn't (which, btw, has no redeeming qualities, and why are we even talking about it).

So while I think brown worked well for the '70s and '80s, I think they had to move on.

The city's history with brown goes back pretty far back to the mission days and the friar's cloak/robe...given that the city was founded by said missionaries and is essentially the state's 1st city I think you could make a strong case for brown as a primary. Additionally you could say that the yellow represents the 300+ sunny days/year and you have youself a pretty good color combo with real local relevance. Bonus points as well for not being red+navy.

Born and raised in San Diego. Brown and gold are perfect for the mascot and the city.

But the Padres don't play in Coronado :/

That's where I think the late 90's set or something similar comes in. It's got orange and blue which is a unique combo in all of MLB, it was the uniform worn by the unquestionably best Padres team in the franchise's history ('98), it's got the orange from the late 80's brown unis combined with the navy blue (in a navy town) they've worn for almost a half century now, and best of all it was a damned classy uniform on top of that. Honestly I can't deny that would be preferable to yet another red, white and blue combo even if the PCL Pads wore that prevoiusly.

That's a problem too though; it's not unique: the Tigers and the Astros use the same color scheme and the Mets aren't terribly far off.

I'm also a fan of diversity in color schemes and would like to see the Padres go back to brown and gold. That's why a small part of me was disappointed that when the Astros went back to their current quasi-retro set: they didn't try to keep any gold or red along with the orange and navy to differentiate themselves from the Tigers.

But the Padres don't play in Coronado :/

Caught me. Alright, so now I have a find a photo a couple of miles up the coast.

I'm wondering. If they were going to go navy and red PCL look, why wouldn't they have done it this last time around, considering they kind of mirrored the piping from those days. If they had gone full-on PCL homage, it might have gone better than this bland faux-look. If they change, I hope and expect brown and gold (hopefully) or brown and orange. Otherwise they're just tinkering to tinker, and the navy and red would be very similar to their nineties look of navy and orange. What a mess...

I'm wondering. If they were going to go navy and red PCL look, why wouldn't they have done it this last time around, considering they kind of mirrored the piping from those days. If they had gone full-on PCL homage, it might have gone better than this bland faux-look. If they change, I hope and expect brown and gold (hopefully) or brown and orange. Otherwise they're just tinkering to tinker, and the navy and red would be very similar to their nineties look of navy and orange. What a mess...

I think we have to come to grips with whatever the Pads do it will be just as bad as their current set. A bland and totally convoluted identity with a generic color scheme.

The only hope is that Peter O'Malley can bring some sense of direction and identity to this anonymous franchise like he and his father did with the Dodgers.

Here's an idea: Return to brown but keep the camo alts. IMO it's a win-win for management in that the fans get the brown back while the military is honored. And aren't the camo alts. the closest thing to brown that the Padres have right now?

Was the military rank and file ignored or dishonored by pro and college sports before camo based uninforms hit the scene? I'm assuming servicepeople have lived in their respecitve communities attended numerous sporting events, had a good time and did not feel slighted in the least bit nor would I think that serving in the military defines entirely who they are. It seems more like the civilian population cares more about the half assed marketing to (aka honoring) than the actual servicepeople could ever possibly be concerned with.

A military discount for tickets and a free beer & hot dog at a game would go a hell of a lot further in terms of giving something back than wathcing a ballplayer wearing a cheap overseas made camo jersey.

Here's an idea: Return to brown but keep the camo alts. IMO it's a win-win for management in that the fans get the brown back while the military is honored. And aren't the camo alts. the closest thing to brown that the Padres have right now?

Was the military rank and file ignored or dishonored by pro and college sports before camo based uninforms hit the scene? I'm assuming servicepeople have lived in their respecitve communities attended numerous sporting events, had a good time and did not feel slighted in the least bit nor would I think that serving in the military defines entirely who they are. It seems more like the civilian population cares more about the half assed marketing to (aka honoring) than the actual servicepeople could ever possibly be concerned with.

A military discount for tickets and a free beer & hot dog at a game would go a hell of a lot further in terms of giving something back than wathcing a ballplayer wearing a cheap overseas made camo jersey.

You know what? You actually got me there. Now if only the O'Malleys read this...

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Archived