FRIAR_BOLT_619

San Diego Padres Possibly To Get New Uniforms

Some team should use brown as their color. I forget who, but someone made a case for the Indians switching to brown when they eventually drop Wahoo and re-invent themselves. The more I think about it, the more I endorse that idea.

Admiral has been peddling the brown and red Indians for a while. Someone made a recolored concept of it. I personally dislike it greatly, and not just because the team has been playing in the same city for 113 seasons with red and blue uniforms (with the possible exception of a few years). I think that red and brown is a terrible color combination for sports. It might work on a sweater or a plaid shirt, but I can't see it working well in sports.

I agree. I tried doing a Padres concept that had brown and red, and I just couldn't find a good harmony to them. Either the brown is too dark or the red is too bright. Brown and yellow work, brown and orange, but I've just not found a good mix of brown and red.

Which is a shame, because it seems like it would be a totally unique color scheme in all of sports.

Well, not totally unique. Brown University's listed colors are brown and red. Baseball team uses them pretty well:

mculjibnc8jiag2s.jpg

as does the basketball team:

20090106-Brown-at-Virginia-NCAA-Basketba

and the football team:

HIT-9-20-08.gif

You know what I'll never understand about this forum is its love for the brown and gold Padres Uniforms. I'll admit it looked original but I prefer their 90's navy and orange look.

You guys love this

mlb_g_templeton_576.jpg

but hate this

247307d1331745629-help-finding-photos-te

Love this

medium_yellow_uniforms_padres.jpg

but hate this

5622700449_8662fefd6e_m.jpg

And just my $.02

Their Best Look

quilvio-veras-autographed-8x10-photo-san

Loving the brown and gold color scheme does not mean loving all its applications any more than loving the look of a red cap requires also loving the Indians' 1970s blood-clot look.

In other words, you'll need to provide some examples of specific posters who praise those 1970s Padres while damning the Devil Rays for the question to have real merit.

You know what I'll never understand about this forum is its love for the brown and gold Padres Uniforms. I'll admit it looked original but I prefer their 90's navy and orange look.

You guys love this

mlb_g_templeton_576.jpg

but hate this

Love this

but hate this

And just my $.02

Their Best Look

You completely left out their inaugural MLB brown and gold set, which was the one most of us used as an example of a great Padres set.

You guys love this

mlb_g_templeton_576.jpg

but hate this

Love this

but hate this

And just my $.02

Their Best Look

You completely left out their inaugural MLB brown and gold set, which was the one most of us used as an example of a great Padres set.

Lets not go overboard. The '69 set wasn't ugly to the point of being offensive like the majority of the sets from the mid-70's to '84 were, but they weren't great either. '69 was very generic which makes sense given the era and the fact they were attached to a team that being new was pretty devoid of character.

You guys love this

mlb_g_templeton_576.jpg

Their Best Look

I can only speak for myself as a life long born and raised Padre fan. But to me the brown/yellow is so dear to my heart since:

1. It was their original Major League colors

2. They were horrible for over a decade yet fans loved them, stuck with them, since they were ours

3. Then they turned it around and made it to the Series and shocked us all, we loved them all the more

So, to me, the brown/yellow signifies the original years or suffering and accent to the top. Very sweet. Blue can never take it's place as it will never be the "first love".

You guys love this

mlb_g_templeton_576.jpg

but hate this

Love this

but hate this

And just my $.02

Their Best Look

With the exception of the all-cranberry Phillies, I like all of these looks. There's just nothing to break up all that cranberry.

I also love that you dug up Quilvio Veras as your mid-90s example.

You guys love this

but hate this

Love this

but hate this

And just my $.02

Their Best Look

• Let's not lump everyone together.
  • I personally don't care for those solid brown jerseys (and definitely not the yellow pants either), however, the clean look of the original Padres uniforms with brown and yellow trim are very nice.
  • Most people who like the navy and orange Padres uniforms from the 90's were too young to remember the brown ones. Once you've associated a team with a color, like the Padres with brown, it's difficult to see them in something else.

You guys love this

but hate this

Love this

but hate this

And just my $.02

Their Best Look

• Let's not lump everyone together.
  • I personally don't care for those solid brown jerseys (and definitely not the yellow pants either), however, the clean look of the original Padres uniforms with brown and yellow trim are very nice.
  • Most people who like the navy and orange Padres uniforms from the 90's were too young to remember the brown ones. Once you've associated a team with a color, like the Padres with brown, it's difficult to see them in something else.

Not to mention that a lot of us love brown, but may not like the brown in those two photos. The Winfield uniform is a monstrosity. The Templeton (right?) one would have made a suitable alt at best. I think what most of us in the pro-brown camp want is brown on uniform with a more sustainable design.

As for the blue and orange, that really was not a bad look at all. But it's not too dissimilar from the Mets and Astros. Only with brown can the Padres have something of their own. And brown does look good, when not jumping on a gaudy trend.

You know, it seems to me that the people who run this team could make a lot of fans happy by doing something as simple as using a uniform from the brown/gold era as a Fri. or Sat. home alternate. I would choose the 69 or 76 uniforms. We are talking about maybe 15 games a year.

It makes too much sense, though. They could have the best of all worlds. Stay a navy/sand, orange, red, whatever team, a camouflage team on Sundays, and make a good sized segment of brown/gold fans like myself happy. Something like what the Brewers have done. They recognized that a lot of fans identified with the ball-in-glove and 80's pinstripes, and made it an official part of their rotation. Very smart move, imo.

So, I am curious why the Padres won't even consider something like this? Are they afraid they would sell too many hats?, or that they may reconnect with a part of the fanbase who loved their original colors? Are they scared that brown would overtake the blue in popularity? Either way, they would still be selling both colors!

It appears that they are still as full of cement between the ears as ever......

maybe, maybe not, but this "article" does not prove anything.

There is only one brown and gold the pads should use, It is there best in my opinion and would still work today, I am surprised nobody has even mentioned it.2wohcsx.jpg

Get rid of the Taco Bell cap and that's not far off what they wear today minus the color difference.

Strange they did NNOB for the away uniform. Usually, teams do that for the home uniform and put NOB for the road uniform.

There is only one brown and gold the pads should use, It is there best in my opinion and would still work today, I am surprised nobody has even mentioned it.2wohcsx.jpg

Wonderful. Perfect. Thanks.

Very simple solution:

Main color: Brown

Trim color: Gold (either metallic or yellow-gold)

No Pinstripes!

No Roundel logo

The logo should be the swinging friar with "Padres" above.

SD on cap should be gold.

Shoes: Black or Brown

No "Taco" uniforms!

SD logo on left chest of road Gray jersey

Swinging Friar logo on left sleeve of all jerseys!

There, problem solved! Play Ball!

Very simple solution:

No Pinstripes!

No Roundel logo

No "Taco" uniforms!

Make the shoes white and throw in a gold bell-shaped front panel cap as alt or BP, and sounds like the perfect set.

Very simple solution:

No Pinstripes!

No Roundel logo

No "Taco" uniforms!

Make the shoes white and throw in a gold bell-shaped front panel cap as alt or BP, and sounds like the perfect set.
No white shoes, no bell cap. One all-brown cap with gold SD. "San Diego" on roads with the SD on the brown alt jersey.