San Diego Padres Possibly To Get New Uniforms

FRIAR_BOLT_619

I'm kind of torn on this issue, because I absolutely love the current Padres cap. Granted, I'm a bit of a sucker for interlocking letters on caps, but IMO, the Padres did it right with the small serifs on the "D" and the gap between the horizontal bar of the "S" and the vertical bar of the "D." Just being blue and white, It pops off the cap in a way that the Padres have never done before. I also love the swinging friar and think it's one of the most underrated logos in baseball.

That said, I have no problem with them blowing up the rest of the uniform and starting over. I'd even be happy if they kept the same cap but just changed the colors to brown/white or even brown/yellow. Build something around that, and it shouldn't be too hard to have a great new/old look.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll just leave this here.

mlb_g_gossage_576.jpg

Yes. This. It is the team's timeless signature look. That wordmark is perfect.

The uniform is almost perfect -- it would be better without the orange, with only brown and yellow.

Can I get extra cheese on my nachos bell grande?

If you're going to use the term, that's nearly the definition of "dated". That is quite obviously a product of its time, and as such should decidedly stay there.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

mlb_g_gossage_576.jpg

The uniform is almost perfect -- it would be better without the orange, with only brown and yellow.

I don't think you know what "timeless" means....or "perect"....or "yes."

mlb_g_gossage_576.jpg

And please, keep them there.

Brown and gold is a great colour scheme. Likewise for brown and orange. But all three? No, no, and no.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

mlb_g_gossage_576.jpg

I don't think you know what "timeless" means....or "perect"....or "yes."

The only flaw in this presentation of that uniform is the use of three colours. But that wordmark is gorgeous, and could easily be used today.

No wordmark the Padres had before or have had since was nearly as good. Their original wordmark was attractive, if non-distinctive; the wordmarks used after this were disastrous. This one, had it been retained after the 1984 season, would be now acknowledged as an untouchable classic. The round theme of the letters is unique to the Padres; and the shapes of the letters harmonise beautifully with the swinging friar.

The Blue Jays were smart enough to bring back their timeless wordmark (slightly altered, but still recognisably theirs); let's see if the Padres are as wise.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I think a sand colored road uni with brown lettering and gold trim would be perfect.

Overall, I lean more toward a combo of the 1969 and the mid-late '70s look: simple but distinct jersey script, brown and gold with no orange (in spite of my soft spot for the early '80s set), brown "Padres" script outlined in gold on a white home uni, "San Diego" in brown outlined in gold on a sand road uni, a brown alternate with "Padres" in gold to be worn home and away, and a gold BP jersey with "Padres" or interlocking "SD" on the left chest. One solid brown game cap with gold "SD" for all games home and away, and a BP cap with a gold front panel. Could also be worn for select games. Bonus points if New Era gets off their lazy haunches and makes it a proper bell-shaped panel.

Oh, and no more "military appreciation" uniforms. Pay respect to the vets with pre-game ceremonies and special promotions and recognitions, but please ditch the uniforms.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

Archived