San Diego Padres Possibly To Get New Uniforms

FRIAR_BOLT_619

found this posted awhile ago on the forums

SanDiegoPadres_brown-gold_uniforms_zpsa5

That's a concept/recolor I did a little ways back.

Well Sir, You did an awesome job. It's unique, modern and throwback-ish all at the same time.

Looks great...and there's still room for a yellow alternate down the road.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Sir, You did an awesome job. It's unique, modern and throwback-ish all at the same time.

This is what I'd hope for, assuming Brown/Yellow. Bringing back the colors they started with is great. Bringing back pajama-looking uniforms that will grow stale by mid-June, not so much. Hopefully, if they use these colors, the uniforms would look something like this.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

When using brown and yellow, you walk a fine line between classy and awful. You pretty much have to make it straight-up traditional, and if you try to do too much with it, it's going to turn out bad. Brown with sky blue wouldn't be bad per se, but I would prefer them go back to brown and yellow. I think brown, yellow and blue would be too much, and probably tip the scales towards gaudy. I'd have to see a mock-up, but I think it would just look unbalanced with two warm earthtones and a cool blue together.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I would make the existing colors of the Swinging Friar logo the team's primary colors.

hkdmhoh0m6pgagi81hwx2hfh3.gif

9572021431_440b767672.jpg

9574818482_cd9928af25.jpg

I've heard this thought before, and it definitely has more character than what they have now (not to mention being somewhat intriguing), but IMO it would further water down the team's identity.

Don't get me wrong, I like it (Maroon/Yellow would especially stand out), but the better option is for the Pads to own Brown in some capacity.

Speaking of which:

Powder blue and a deep chocolate brown has always been a color scheme that intrigues me.

One of the nicest combinations, in my opinion.

It would work for the Padres, I think.

Brown as the primary color (caps, socks), and powder blue as the secondary (trim/outlines/cap logo).

Quick 'n' dirty examples:

pads1_zps28dc2d4b.png?t=1377239474

pads2_zps81324e1a.png?t=1377239474

While the brown appears more like black on the monitor I'm using now, I really like this idea. It could play into both San Diego teams wearing light blue (Why, oh why, Alex Spanos, did you get cold feet and stick with your pet color navy?!), but I'd like to see how it would fit with Brown/Yellow or Brown/Orange.

Another idea is to use a Yellow-Orange (Amber), halfway between Yellow and Orange. I believe that Shumway did such a concept, and it looked good. Maybe Brown/Amber/Light Blue?

EDIT:

Padres_Road.png

Padres_Alt1.png

Padres_Alt2.png

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

SanDiegoPadres_brown-gold_uniforms_zpsa5

4th alternate would undoubtedly be the camo uni. They're not going to abandon one of their most popular uniforms no matter what the other 3 look like (well unless they were all camo too.)

I would make the existing colors of the Swinging Friar logo the team's primary colors.

I've heard this thought before, and it definitely has more character than what they have now (not to mention being somewhat intriguing), but IMO it would further water down the team's identity.

Don't get me wrong, I like it (Maroon/Yellow would especially stand out), but the better option is for the Pads to own Brown in some capacity.

Speaking of which:

Powder blue and a deep chocolate brown has always been a color scheme that intrigues me.

Brown as the primary color (caps, socks), and powder blue as the secondary (trim/outlines/cap logo).

While the brown appears more like black on the monitor I'm using now, I really like this idea. It could play into both San Diego teams wearing light blue (Why, oh why, Alex Spanos, did you get cold feet and stick with your pet color navy?!), but I'd like to see how it would fit with Brown/Yellow or Brown/Orange.

Another idea is to use a Yellow-Orange (Amber), halfway between Yellow and Orange. I believe that Shumway did such a concept, and it looked good. Maybe Brown/Amber/Light Blue?

EDIT:

Padres_Road.png

Padres_Alt1.png

Padres_Alt2.png

Meh. Never been a fan of cap logos on jerseys. It's a pet peeve of mine second only to jerseys with no names on the back.

Speaking of which:

EDIT:

Padres_Road.png

Padres_Alt1.png

Padres_Alt2.png

Meh. Never been a fan of cap logos on jerseys. It's a pet peeve of mine second only to jerseys with no names on the back.

But the Brown/Light Blue and/or Brown/Amber are good, no? That's the main point I'm trying to make. Put the Swinging Friar in either 2 (or all 3!) and it has a lot of potential for a great look.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

The problem with their current neck trim is that it's against the end of the fabric instead of there being a thin white border. It's pointless without that buffer.

I agree completely. The current version manages to miss the point of the original:

pMLB2-11673561dt.jpg

luke-easter-padres-pcl.jpg

So close, and yet...

So the solution is to make each piece of piping its own yellow-brown-yellow stripe. I'm picturing it in my head and I like how it looks. If I get some time I'll concept it later.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Speaking of which:

EDIT:

Padres_Road.png

Padres_Alt1.png

Padres_Alt2.png

But the Brown/Light Blue and/or Brown/Amber are good, no? That's the main point I'm trying to make. Put the Swinging Friar in either 2 (or all 3!) and it has a lot of potential for a great look.

Honestly the brown is a little too dark for my taste. It ends up looking too close to black.

I really like the dark brown, light blue idea, as well as the brown and yellow concepts. I think the brown should be very dark, just light enough that you can tell it's brown. Brown/light blue is something that the Padres could use forever, I think. It is nice looking, totally unique, and could be something the team could actually OWN.

Nothing could disappoint me more than if they go to navy and red. It is totally played out, with what, 7 teams already using it? Several teams in that group, especially the Red Sox, Cards, and Braves have done it better for much longer, and I just can't imagine the Padres wanting to become yet another navy and red team, and especially for the reason that they would use to justify it. "Patriotism"? What nonsense.

Hopefully, they will consider something unique, and get it right this time. Come on Padres, Junipero Serra is nothing like Uncle Sam :) Don't go there!

There are some really nice Padres concepts on display here. Nice stuff, guys, and nothing at all wrong with those taco caps. I'm not a fan of caps where the entire two front panels are an alternate color, but the small triangle the Pads used was the only one of its kind in MLB history and could work today (as an alt if nothing else).

My three favorite caps in MLB history are the Astros orange, the Pirates mustard, and the Padres taco (before the orange -- brown/yellow only). We've got two of those three back in play. Time to make it all three. :)

Lights Out's two posts line up in such a way that if I hit pgdn and pgup, everything on his part of the sidebar stays in the same screen position and it looks like one uniform morphs into the other. And that's how I spent my Friday night.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

LEWJ is on to something...I'm also feeling the deep chocolate/sky scheme. A brighter take on the light blue (think Chargers or UCLA) may also work.

Doctorpeligro's recolor suggests another shade the Padres can "own:" wine. I'd pair it with any one of the following...the existing sand, an orange, or the aforementioned light blue.

Looking at my mockupfrom yesterday, the Brown does look black. I'm on my phone this time around and it appears significantly darker than what I intended.

Whoops!

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Archived