FRIAR_BOLT_619

San Diego Padres Possibly To Get New Uniforms

Some great concepts here. Unfortunately, this is the Padres, and they won't do any of this. They will end up going red, white and blue AND keeping the camo, because they seem obsessed with paying tribute to the military. Sometimes it seems that is the only part of the fanbase they care about.They may even change the name to the San Diego SEALs as a further tribute. :)

You make it sound like paying tribute to the military is a bad thing.

I think the agreement here is tribute good, cosplay bad.

Why do so many people hate the 2004 script? I think it looked good as intended, though not when recolored.

Some great concepts here. Unfortunately, this is the Padres, and they won't do any of this. They will end up going red, white and blue AND keeping the camo, because they seem obsessed with paying tribute to the military. Sometimes it seems that is the only part of the fanbase they care about.They may even change the name to the San Diego SEALs as a further tribute. :)

The tribute is fine, but hypothetically, just say they are red, white and blue for 6 days a week, and doing the soldier look on Sundays, (Tom Krasovic tweeted that the org. is "intrigued by navy and red for the possible patriotic appeal") does the "Padre" have a place in this identity? I can't see where. Maybe a different name would be easier to build a patriotic identity around, if that is what they insist on.

Why do so many people hate the 2004 script? I think it looked good as intended, though not when recolored.

But, but, but... 70s crap fonts and colors thrown around are soooooo much more awesome than anything that's actually been designed!

So, this is just a concept thread now? Because we could do that over in Concepts.

Well, with no updates or news, what's there to put after "I hope they return to brown and yellow!"?

-BigBubba

The "Bring Brown Back For The Padres" concept zealots are my second-favorite concept zealots, behind the "Put Philadelphia on the Phillies' Roads" crowd and ahead of the "Put St. Louis on the Cards' Roads" crowd.

The vast majority of teams that do it is a BAD thing. Making a camo version of a uniform and playing dress up is not only not creative it's a half assed attempt to pander/market to to fans with military affiliation or interests. If an organization really wants to pay tribute offer free tickets, donate time to a military charity or volunteer, wear a patch or paint a logo on the field as opposed to manufacturing a marketing opportunity or to sell camo merchandise.

I guess the reason I can't get behind brown for the Padres anymore is that relative to, say, the midwest/rust belt, San Diego doesn't particularly seem like a place that lives in its own past. Now, some contrarian could easily start posting pictures of old buildings within San Diego city limits, but no, that's not really what I mean! It's just that I've always thought of San Diego as having a certain contemporary spirit not necessarily associated with that Pittsburgh/Cleveland/Detroit triad (which always seems to be fighting amongst itself). Things are new, people are new, so on, so forth. The park is even a departure from Neo-Retro Mania (other than incorporating the WMSB).

And also, the weather is really nice! I realize brown makes sense for friars, but it doesn't reflect a city on the ocean where everything is in a near-perpetual state of pleasantness. So I think when they came out with a uniform that connoted breeziness and smoothness and ocean waves, they really, sigh, hit it out of the park. Of course, the rest of the identity was full of little hitches that I didn't like, but as an overarching concept, it was a very good idea. It made them stand out in a way that the old navy/orange didn't (which, btw, has no redeeming qualities, and why are we even talking about it).

So while I think brown worked well for the '70s and '80s, I think they had to move on.

Guest, the Padres do everything you list and then some. It's not like the camo uni is the only thing they do. And with the current camo it's not even as though they just threw together some camo. They actually licensed the US Marine Corps actual camo pattern and if I'm not mistaken they're paying the gov't for the privilege of using it.

As for the idea that red, white and blue would leave no room for the friar or Padres name, that hasn't been true with the color schemes the last 23 years or the entire PCL run before the '69 brown and gold. And the same argument could be made for half the league if you're going to try to make that specious argument against the Pads.

Guest, the Padres do everything you list and then some.

And it's good that they do.

But then they deserve all the derision we can muster for their Beetle Bailey drag act.

But, but, but... 70s crap fonts and colors thrown around are soooooo much more awesome than anything that's actually been designed!
The current look is way better than those awful colors and gimmicky number fonts that they used to wear.

Guest, the Padres do everything you list and then some. It's not like the camo uni is the only thing they do. And with the current camo it's not even as though they just threw together some camo. They actually licensed the US Marine Corps actual camo pattern and if I'm not mistaken they're paying the gov't for the privilege of using it.

As for the idea that red, white and blue would leave no room for the friar or Padres name, that hasn't been true with the color schemes the last 23 years or the entire PCL run before the '69 brown and gold. And the same argument could be made for half the league if you're going to try to make that specious argument against the Pads.

So they're paying the DoD so they can sell merchandise? How is that a tribute to the common soldier? There's tributes then there's business this still reeks of a business first scheme masked as being for the troops.

I guess the reason I can't get behind brown for the Padres anymore is that relative to, say, the midwest/rust belt, San Diego doesn't particularly seem like a place that lives in its own past. Now, some contrarian could easily start posting pictures of old buildings within San Diego city limits, but no, that's not really what I mean! It's just that I've always thought of San Diego as having a certain contemporary spirit not necessarily associated with that Pittsburgh/Cleveland/Detroit triad (which always seems to be fighting amongst itself). Things are new, people are new, so on, so forth. The park is even a departure from Neo-Retro Mania (other than incorporating the WMSB).

And also, the weather is really nice! I realize brown makes sense for friars, but it doesn't reflect a city on the ocean where everything is in a near-perpetual state of pleasantness. So I think when they came out with a uniform that connoted breeziness and smoothness and ocean waves, they really, sigh, hit it out of the park. Of course, the rest of the identity was full of little hitches that I didn't like, but as an overarching concept, it was a very good idea. It made them stand out in a way that the old navy/orange didn't (which, btw, has no redeeming qualities, and why are we even talking about it).

So while I think brown worked well for the '70s and '80s, I think they had to move on.

The city's history with brown goes back pretty far back to the mission days and the friar's cloak/robe...given that the city was founded by said missionaries and is essentially the state's 1st city I think you could make a strong case for brown as a primary. Additionally you could say that the yellow represents the 300+ sunny days/year and you have youself a pretty good color combo with real local relevance. Bonus points as well for not being red+navy.

The city's history with brown goes back pretty far back to the mission days and the friar's cloak/robe...given that the city was founded by said missionaries and is essentially the state's 1st city I think you could make a strong case for brown as a primary. Additionally you could say that the yellow represents the 300+ sunny days/year and you have youself a pretty good color combo with real local relevance.

Well shoot...a much more concise version of what I tried to capture with this.

Which is to say, I agree.

And, as has been stated by so many others, brown and yellow would scream San Diego. Just like Oakland is the "green team" and Colorado is the "purple team," the Padres could be the "brown team." They have a chance to own that color.

The city's history with brown goes back pretty far back to the mission days and the friar's cloak/robe...given that the city was founded by said missionaries and is essentially the state's 1st city I think you could make a strong case for brown as a primary. Additionally you could say that the yellow represents the 300+ sunny days/year and you have youself a pretty good color combo with real local relevance.

Well shoot...a much more concise version of what I tried to capture with this.

Which is to say, I agree.

Well then I shall give you credit for the early observation. I was merely channeling my recollection from middle school Californa studies class. I guess public education produces some knowledge.

And, as has been stated by so many others, brown and yellow would scream San Diego. Just like Oakland is the "green team" and Colorado is the "purple team," the Padres could be the "brown team." They have a chance to own that color.

They could, yeah, but it conveys a certain sort of rusticness that clashes with how most people think of San Diego, along with the panorama of their new ballpark. I understand owning a color, and they certainly wouldn't own navy and tan with touches of sky blue, but it's just a nice color scheme, and sometimes that's okay.

As far as I can tell, the Padres are the only team in baseball named after a specific group of people, who belonged to a specific group. The Franciscan order of Friars. It seems ill-fitting to create a purely red/white/blue "American/Military" identity for a team named for people who:

1. Were not Americans. 2. Were not soldiers. 3. Established a chain of religious outposts in a region that was first New Spain, and later, Mexico. Other than doing it purely for the green, there is really no reason to do it.

They could, yeah, but it conveys a certain sort of rusticness that clashes with how most people think of San Diego, along with the panorama of their new ballpark. I understand owning a color, and they certainly wouldn't own navy and tan with touches of sky blue, but it's just a nice color scheme, and sometimes that's okay.

If they had really wanted to be a sea&beaches team, ( which would fit San Diego as a city more than brown and yellow), they should have been sky blue and sand with traces of navy.

I used to prefer brown, sky blue and sand as the best color scheme, but I've come around to prefer the brown and yellow, even though using a more amber color instead of yellow would be bad. Brown and orange is too Giants and blue and orange should never be considered. The only thing they cannot be without is sand away uniform.

As far as I can tell, the Padres are the only team in baseball named after a specific group of people, who belonged to a specific group. The Franciscan order of Friars. It seems ill-fitting to create a purely red/white/blue "American/Military" identity for a team named for people who:

1. Were not Americans. 2. Were not soldiers. 3. Established a chain of religious outposts in a region that was first New Spain, and later, Mexico. Other than doing it purely for the green, there is really no reason to do it.

Why do you say the money is the only reason? Not that they need another reason since baseball is a business first and foremost after all. I mean some say it is pandering to wear the camo or red white and blue... but if a large chunk of your audience is in the military, are veterans, or are family members of current and former service members, to say nothing of the military being one of SD's largest employers and economic drivers... wouldn't you try to play to your audience too? Too say nothing of the aesthetic issues that brown presents, which frankly is why no teams current wear the color.

Why do you say the money is the only reason? Not that they need another reason since baseball is a business first and foremost after all. I mean some say it is pandering to wear the camo or red white and blue... but if a large chunk of your audience is in the military, are veterans, or are family members of current and former service members, to say nothing of the military being one of SD's largest employers and economic drivers... wouldn't you try to play to your audience too? Too say nothing of the aesthetic issues that brown presents, which frankly is why no teams current wear the color.

True enough, it is definitely a business, and if the "Padres" name is an awkward fit in today's San Diego, and is hard to build an identity around, then maybe it's time to think about changing it. I like the history behind the name, and the colors of the 70's and 80's that went with it, but over the last 20 some years, it has been put in the back seat in favor of navy blue, further diluted with ocean, sand and sky themes , and now, it's just plain old dull. With a possible red/white/blue scheme, it wouldn't be in the back seat anymore, it would probably be put in a trailer behind the car. Maybe it's time to get something that all those military folks can really relate to.