2014 Sochi Olympic hockey sweaters

Frankie

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand when countries use colors for their Olympic teams that arent in their national color scheme (or flag)? Not even a fan when countries like Canada use black or the U.S. uses gray as accents.

Because a country's colours aren't limited to what's on the flag. Italy's blue for instance has a long history as being the colour of their royal family, same with the Dutch and orange. Australia's official national colours are green and gold, not the red, white and blue of their flag. In Slovenia's case, I believe the green is the official colour of their capital city Ljubljana and has similarly become a de facto national colour. Then there are situations like Latvia, who required a recolouring of their coat of arms so that it wouldn't clash (imagine yellow, blue, silver and bright red on maroon - it would be extremely gaudy). Canada is much the same. They require the black/gold/silver to add some life into what would otherwise be an extremely boring jersey.

Yeah exactly, it's not that straightforward, thank god. Imagine if countries all wore the same colour as their flags and there was no other history or meaning behind their colours to draw upon....

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Yeah exactly, it's not that straightforward, thank god. Imagine if countries all wore the same colour as their flags and there was no other history or meaning behind their colours to draw upon....

Yeah, you could never make a good jersey with just red, white and blue!

Can you imagine how many red white and blue countries there would be?

Australia

New Zealand

USA

Norway

Chile

Cuba

Netherlands

France

Russia

Slovakia

Slovenia

North Korea

Croatia

Czech Republic

Costa Rica

Thailand

Taiwan

Serbia

Paraguay

I can see 6 or 7 on that list that I know don't wear the same colours as their flag...

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Australia

New Zealand

USA

Norway

Chile

Cuba

Netherlands

France

Russia

Slovakia

Slovenia

North Korea

Croatia

Czech Republic

Costa Rica

Thailand

Taiwan

Serbia

Paraguay

I can see 6 or 7 on that list that I know don't wear the same colours as their flag...

Plus all the other countries who are in the commonwealth

Australia

New Zealand

USA

Norway

Chile

Cuba

Netherlands

France

Russia

Slovakia

Slovenia

North Korea

Croatia

Czech Republic

Costa Rica

Thailand

Taiwan

Serbia

Paraguay

Ahem... :flagcanada:

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Australia

New Zealand

USA

Norway

Chile

Cuba

Netherlands

France

Russia

Slovakia

Slovenia

North Korea

Croatia

Czech Republic

Costa Rica

Thailand

Taiwan

Serbia

Paraguay

Not every commonwealth country has a red white and blue flag. In fact it's rare. A few in the pacific rim include the union flag, a la Australia, but it's not all that common.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_states_of_the_Commonwealth_of_Nations

It's also relatively rare for the kind of miss match between flags and national colours nowadays. 6 or 7 on the list is an overestimate for sure. And it's usually for historical reasons rather than any desire to wear unique kits.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I don't think every country should always wear their flag colors, but you should have a reason for straying from just flag colors, Italy and the Netherlands have reasons for wearing blue and orange. Your jerseys should be colors that represent your nation; a flag is an easy place to start.

If the US came out with a bald eagle crest and brown and white stripes on their jerseys to match, I'd be OK with it. Adding black or gray because it's cool is unnecessary.

I didn't realize Slovenia was sending a team to the Olympics. I'm surprised they are and Denmark isn't, considering the Danes are on the rise in the NHL while the only Slovene of note is Kopitar. They're gonna get murked in a pool with Russia and the USA, anyway.

NOT THAT I'LL BE WATCHING

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I didn't realize Slovenia was sending a team to the Olympics. I'm surprised they are and Denmark isn't, considering the Danes are on the rise in the NHL while the only Slovene of note is Kopitar. They're gonna get murked in a pool with Russia and the USA, anyway.

NOT THAT I'LL BE WATCHING

Anze didn't even play on the qualifying team, but his brother did and his father is the coach of the team. And they beat the Danes to get there, so obviously the Danes may be on the rise in the NHL, but they aren't in international competition. But you forget the most important point, just because you have players in the NHL, does not make you a team. Just ask Russia about their consistent okay performances in the Olympics for the last 10-12 years. For all that talent, they should have a few gold medals, but they play as individuals when they come together for the Olympics

they play as individuals when they come together for the Olympics

Well, that's all part of Capitalism.

normal.png?1378243259

...It sure ain't how it used to be.

Yes, it was much better when they were segregated from their families for years to live in barracks, giving up their educations and pretty much everything else for the Motherland. Besides, back then they were pros playing against amateurs in most of the tournaments, so the victories don't quite mean as much.

they play as individuals when they come together for the Olympics

Well, that's all part of Capitalism.normal.png?1378243259

...It sure ain't how it used to be.

This made me laugh. This is probably one of the best and original quotes ever on this board!

Archived