2014 Sochi Olympic hockey sweaters

Frankie

Not sure if this has been answered in here, I searched around and couldn't find it on the web.

It always comes up why teams wear certain colors for national events. IE: Italy in blue and the Netherlands in orange.

Why do US teams wear a dark blue rather than the same shade as in the flag? I've noticed it over the years and never thought much of it since it's still in the same color hue, but does anyone know if there is a rhyme or reason behind it?

2ly2w09.jpg

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if this has been answered in here, I searched around and couldn't find it on the web.

It always comes up why teams wear certain colors for national events. IE: Italy in blue and the Netherlands in orange.

Why do US teams wear a dark blue rather than the same shade as in the flag? I've noticed it over the years and never thought much of it since it's still in the same color hue, but does anyone know if there is a rhyme or reason behind it?

The blue on the American flag is unique. It's darker then your standard royal blue, but it's not quite dark enough to be navy. The US used to employ royal blue for international competition, but switched over to navy to better match the flag. The flag isn't navy, but navy was seen as being closer to it then royal was.

My guess for why they don't use the exact shade the flag uses? Again, the flag uses a unique shade. So it's probably easier on manufacturers to mass produce gear in stock navy then it would be to use a custom shade of blue.

Canada looks a little weird in all black, especially against Austria, who are pretty much wearing clones of what Canada wore in 2010.

I kept thinking Austria was us.

What's with all the love for Camada's jerseys? These are God-freaking-AWFUL. I wouldn't even buy one on $50 clearance.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Neither would I. The home and roads are close to ok, but they're frustratingly close. As they are, they're awful. The black alternates? Gah. I'd like it better if they used the gold maple leaf they have on the sleeve stripe on the front. The CANADA script just isn't doing it for me.

I understand why Canada has an alternate (so they have a third jersey to sell), but in a tournament when you're playing, what 7 games at the most, you definitely don't need one.

Also a red armband on just the left sleeve of a black shirt is entirely too reminiscent of another famous uniform.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The blue on the American flag is unique. It's darker then your standard royal blue, but it's not quite dark enough to be navy. The US used to employ royal blue for international competition, but switched over to navy to better match the flag. The flag isn't navy, but navy was seen as being closer to it then royal was.

My guess for why they don't use the exact shade the flag uses? Again, the flag uses a unique shade. So it's probably easier on manufacturers to mass produce gear in stock navy then it would be to use a custom shade of blue.

Just imagine if when charged with designing a flag for the new nation, Betsy Ross had contacted Reebok for design and manufacturing guidance. Our blue would be the former "Seahawks" or "Pacific" or "Slate" or whatever it was called, and there would be no stripes, thereby making our flag 31.5% lighter than Great Britain's and probably leading to an earlier end to the conflict. Thousands of lives could have been spared.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I understand why Canada has an alternate (so they have a third jersey to sell), but in a tournament when you're playing, what 7 games at the most, you definitely don't need one.

Also a red armband on just the left sleeve of a black shirt is entirely too reminiscent of another famous uniform.

Indeed.

Indeed.

I tend to agree with you two, but that's too much of a stretch IMO. I mean, if they had put a black maple leaf in a white circle on the armband or if the *other* uniform had a red stripe on the chest, then I could understand, but as of now, "red stripe on black sleeve" isn't strong enough for me to want them to change it.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Indeed.

I remember showing one of my teachers a picture of the uniforms and he pointed out that out too. Clearly the person who designed those didn't do too well in History class.

Something that gets on my nerves is the white helmet with the all blue hockey uni. If you can only use one helmet, then use blue. It looks fine with white sweater.

USA Hockey explained why they wear white helmets. They said the color of the navy helmets varied quite a bit between the various brands, so they decided to go with white. I believe they said they would be willing to switch to navy if the manufacturers could start using the same shade of navy.

If it was just the band on the sleeve, then I'd find an issue. But it isn't, it connects with the rest of the sweater so it never occurred to me

I saw it right away. full disclosure, I'm a history major who studies the World War Era, BUT I couldn't believe they did any of that.

As I point out to people I know, "The last time a group wore a red armband on one sleeve, things got pretty bad." Once you see it, it's hard to unsee.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Archived