Miami Dolphins Design *First Concept* UPDATE

davidmiller5

Hello all, I am brand new to this site, I found it last week and have been really enjoying reading the threads and looking at concepts. This past spring I redesigned the Dolphins uniforms before their latest uniform release but after their logo was leaked. So I took the leaked logo and designed a uniform set around that. I realize that this isn't good timing because they have just released their new uniforms, but since I just found this site I decided to put up my ideas and see what all of you think. At the time I submitted my ideas to Paul Lukas's ESPN/uniwatch uniform redesign challenge.

dolphinsdesign.jpg

dolphinswhites.jpg

dolphinswhiteblue.jpg

dolphinsgreenwhite.jpg

dolphinsgreens.jpg

dolphinsblues.jpg

dolphinsbluewhite.jpg

(Side note: this was my first uniform design so that is why the first image is in fairly low quality. I recently did the on body jerseys. A big thank you to bigvolsfan for the template. I wasn't able to get the base layer sleeve though.)

The only thing that I have changed from my original design is the sock stripes. Originally they were even more complex. Other than that, I have left the concept the same. I have some ideas about changes to make, but I wanted to hear what all of you think before making any other changes.

The main design concept is the wave going down the side of the jersey. This is why I have used the original template that I did--so that I could show the wave going from the jersey to the pants. The wave is taken from the lines in the new dolphins logo, and I think that it works with the Miami oceanfront vibe. The one long stripe that needs to be in the same color on both shirt and pants, that is why I have the blue pants with the white jersey instead of the green that would feel more natural.

I was just going by the logo when I designed the uniforms, and I thought that they were moving away from orange and incorporating more blue. This is why I went with blue alternates instead of orange ones (and by looking at the new helmet stripe, this did turn out to be the case.)

I was quite surprised when I saw that the font they now use for their Dolphins wordmark is fairly similar to what I had designed. (I am not suggesting that they saw my font and decided to use something similar; I just found it interesting.)

I know that the NFL only allows one helmet that is not a throwback helmet, but I am including an alternate helmet assuming that Nike will convince the NFL to allow an alternate helmet so long as it is similar to the main helmet. This is why I have kept it white.

Let me know what you think.

award%20sig.png

low quality? Crikey, I wish I could do that even now lol.

Your "wave stripe" is genius. Downright genius. I think it should either be better framed, like on the third jersey (which despite my misgivings on navy blue for the Dolphins, the white sleeves are excellent and should be used elsewhere), be bigger, or have multiples on each sleeve.
The font is a bit questionable, too. The look is very Dolphins, but the 3 seems tremendously wide. How would a 23 look on that chest? The font needs to be bigger and taller.

I think an orange alt would be better than navy, but that's just personal preference.

Keep at it, this is a great concept

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

This is VERY minor, but if you (and by you, I mean anybody reading this) adjust your monitor or whatever your using to look at these, you can see timy traces of the logos and patterns you used on the helmets for the 3D template that mix in with the background. Like I said, VERY minor, but overall, its pretty good. Why not put the white sleeve pattern from the navy alt. and put it on the others?

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Thanks so much for the feedback. I will definitely do something about the numbers font. I tried a double outline on the numbers and they are running together on the jerseys. I think I will simplify that into a one-color outline.

I would also like some opinions about the following ideas:

1. Should I have different colored sleeves on the green and white jerseys? I have it on the blue alternates and like the look, should I make it standard?

2. Should I change the colors of the side stripes on the jerseys? I am thinking about making the main color on the side stripe orange on all three jerseys.

3. Should I move the sunspot and TV numbers to the shoulder instead of relegating it to the base-layer sleeve?

award%20sig.png

This is better than what the team is wearing. The stripes are great. I like blue in the Fins uniforms, but I am not a fan of a blue monochrome look. How about a blue jersey with aqua paints?

Add some helmet stripes and you have a winner. Good effort. I would be happier seeing the Fins in these. :)

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

it looks to plain in my opinion

Plain done right. I'd rather see something like this, rather then an overstriped, over logoe'd, multi-non matching mess.

The stripe makes this clean look a lot less plain when compared to what the dolphins are actually wearing.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Here are my updated designs.

Home:

greenwhite.jpg?t=1378136034

Away:

whitegreen.jpg?t=1378136070

All white Alternate:

white.jpg

Blue Alternate:

bluewhite.jpg?t=1378136021

Additional Alternates:

green.jpg?t=1378136036

blue.jpg?t=1378136028

As you can see, I used the template from the original blue jersey in all of the designs. I also moved the sunspot with TV numbers from the base layer (not pictured in these templates) to the shoulder. I also switched the side stripe main color to orange in all three jerseys. See the profile shots below to get a better idea of the side stripes.

updatesideprofile.jpg?t=1378136041

*I didn't change the shoulder stripe of these blue jerseys, but they are supposed to be orange with green accent below them (like in the lifelike templates).

In response to some of your comments, the orange alternate and helmet stripes are still absent. I tried the orange jersey, but I just didn't think that it worked for some reason. I incorporated more orange into the jerseys in the side stripe, sleeve stripes, and number outlines. I also decided that the uniform design worked better without helmet stripes.

Thanks, everyone, for your constructive criticism and very positive comments.

award%20sig.png

Archived