Could the long Orange County nightmare be coming to an end?

ZapRowsdower8

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This issue is so dumb. If you talk about "LA" every baseball fan in the world will always think of the Dodgers first.

As of right now, despite having two cities represented in their name, they have no mentions of either name in any of their regular jerseys.

Just call them "The Angels". Their fanbase has remained strong, despite having 4 different (city) names in their history. I don`t think their fans even care what city they are supposed to represent.

Um, kw, you might want to go back to school and retake geography as California was, and never will be a city. But of course is the issue dumb? Absolutely, because in a few years Arte Moreno will sell as he's running this club into the ground and destroying it's fan base. So what they call them doesn't matter, personally, I think they should put "Terrible" across the jersey and be done with it.

Moreno got off to such a great start - what has he done that you don't like?

They were originally the Los Angeles Angels, and it's time they were again.

Forcing the franchise to trade for Vernon Wells and signing Josh Hamilton by himself as a start. Really Arte's changing of the name and signing these free agents (supposedly, without the knowing or consent of his general manager) is all about his intent of a mad power grab against the Dodgers in Los Angeles. I almost guarantee that if Magic's group doesn't buy the Dodgers and throw all that money into the team, Josh Hamilton wouldn't be an Angel and we might have an honest to God pitching staff. It's a concept.

And yes, they were originally the Los Angeles Angels... and that's because they played IN Los Angeles.

They haven't played in Los Angeles since 1965. They've made a pretty good go of it in Orange County. They don't need to take over Los Angeles like Arte has tried to do. They serve a lot of people in Orange County/Riverside/Long Beach/South Bay, and do a pretty good job of it, and the people do the same in return. I actually think that Arte's floated plans of physically moving the team to Los Angeles proper wouldn't be beneficial. The Angels fanbase is in Orange County and the immediate surrounding area. Not in the heart of LA and all areas northward. That is the Dodgers territory. All moving to LA would do would be distancing the franchise away from its base. Arte alienated enough people with his half-cocked name change in the first place. I know my family wouldn't renew season tickets if they moved to LA. Hell, honestly, I'd probably consider a new baseball team. Seriously.

Gene Autry knew exactly what he was doing when he changed the name from Los Angeles to California upon moving to Anaheim. I know this seems to be a hard concept to grasp for you east-coasters (what with dissecting poor little New Jersey like you all do and just mushing New England together), but Los Angeles and Orange County are quite different in identity and culture. There's a reason why the Angels and the Ducks have been able to survive and thrive like they have, and it's not just due to the sheer amount of people. They are Orange County's teams. They serve a base. We are very proud to have these teams in our community.

Now, I will agree having the full "Los Angeles of Anaheim" is stupid. And to just call them "Los Angeles" is stupid too, because it's not Los Angeles. And if they ever went with Los Angeles road jerseys? That's when you'd lose a lot of the fans. Having the name as it is now, as stupid as it is, at least its not on the jerseys or the merchandise or even the broadcasts. But if they did go all the way with this (and by reading the article, just to have the city of Anaheim totally cave like that. C'mon man. Fight for it. You know the team wouldn't actually leave. Arte's just such a god damn blow hard.), that might be a breaking point for some of the fans.

Anyway, long late night passionate ramble.

TL;DR - Yeah, no. We're not doing this.

---

Oh, and "the long Orange County nightmare"? Screw you zapsrowsdower.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Do you know what I never understood? The fact that the Angels rarely use their Geographical name in any marketing or promoting. What's the point of chaning the name to "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" if you're just going to refer to everything as "the Angels" or "Angels Baseball"?

"Anaheim Angels" is fine with me. Had a nice ring to it, they won a World Series with that name. Restoring that on their current uniforms (which I like quite a bit) would be a good move, IMO.

I never liked the "California" moniker once simply because they aren't the only team in the state. State-named teams are fine if they are the only one there, otherwise, I say always go with the city name.

Los Angeles Angels was and still is a terrible redundant name, and I guess for that reason Anaheim would be better. But Orange County seems like a a smug market and it seems fun to irritate them. If we have Anaheim Angels we might as well have Auburn Hills Pistons and Foxboro Patriots, right?

But Orange County seems like a a smug market and it seems fun to irritate them.

This is the crux of the biscuit here, I feel, the whole "we're another world, we're not like them" fart-sniffing.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Current LA of A name has always been a joke in my mind. Really took the teams naming themselves whatever they wish, regardless of geography, to a new low. Embarrassing. BUT if this is the accepted standard for maximizing geographical area, I've thought the Padres should jump on the bandwagon to enlarge their market...

San Diego - Mexico Padres

Current LA of A name has always been a joke in my mind. Really took the teams naming themselves whatever they wish, regardless of geography, to a new low. Embarrassing. BUT if this is the accepted standard for maximizing geographical area, I've thought the Padres should jump on the bandwagon to enlarge their market...

San Diego - Mexico Padres

Can the Padres do English night and wear alternate jerseys that say "Fathers"? Do it on Fathers' Day to double dip.

Los Angeles Angels was and still is a terrible redundant name, and I guess for that reason Anaheim would be better. But Orange County seems like a a smug market and it seems fun to irritate them. If we have Anaheim Angels we might as well have Auburn Hills Pistons and Foxboro Patriots, right?

I know your last sentence was somewhat of a joke, but just to clarify, Anaheim is the largest city in the sixth-largest county in the United States. Population-wise, it's about 20x larger than the suburbs you mentioned.

Orange County is easily large enough to support its own sports teams. Meanwhile, LA is Dodger-country, and always will be, so I have no idea what Moreno was thinking.

This is the crux of the biscuit here, I feel, the whole "we're another world, we're not like them" fart-sniffing.

It is a lot different, though. Orange County's neighborhoods, on average, are much more wealthy and less diverse. Its political leanings are strongly in the opposite direction from those of LA's (which I hate). Its jobs don't come from LA, which gives it sort of a strange identity as a giant, yet economically self-sufficient piece of suburbia.

Um, kw, you might want to go back to school and retake geography as California was, and never will be a city. But of course is the issue dumb? Absolutely, because in a few years Arte Moreno will sell as he's running this club into the ground and destroying it's fan base. So what they call them doesn't matter, personally, I think they should put "Terrible" across the jersey and be done with it.

The first part of the name is generally considered the "city name" spot, because it refers to a city 99% of the time.

It is a lot different, though. Orange County's neighborhoods, on average, are much more wealthy and less diverse. Its political leanings are strongly in the opposite direction from those of LA's (which I hate). Its jobs don't come from LA, which gives it sort of a strange identity as a giant, yet economically self-sufficient piece of suburbia.

Pretty much every major city has suburbs that are wealthy, white, conservative, and relatively self-sustaining.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Moreno got off to such a great start - what has he done that you don't like?

They were originally the Los Angeles Angels, and it's time they were again.

Are you that completely clueless?

"Since his first full year as owner of the Angels in 2004, Moreno has fired close to 40 members of the front office, baseball operations department and scouting and medical staffs. The Angels maintain a skeletal front-office staff in many areas, and one of the leanest game-day staffs in all of baseball. If someone is let go, there often is no replacement hired. Moreno is said to gouge hours from his low-paid employees." http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/scott-miller/23286878/broken-angels-tense-atmosphere-nearly-included-pujols-hunter-fight-in-2012

Arte is a complete fool, who believes he's smart and knows what he's doing. He had a model franchise that just won the World Series, had a great organization that produced it's own players and did things the right way. This complete fool, goes in and rips it apart and starts just handing out money to players who don't fit because he likes them, because he can "market" them. Well, you can't "market" a last place team that is bogged down by ridiculous contracts and you won't have the money to pay your true stars and the heart of your franchise. Every move the Angels make, you just cringe because you know it's only going to get worse. Notice how different the Dodgers are after they brought in Magic and Stan Kastan (a baseball guy) vs. Moreno who fires baseball people. I wouldn't be shocked if Moreno wasn't taking Angels money to fund his businesses like Frank McCourt was. This is looking oh way too familiar!

Pretty much every major city has suburbs that are wealthy, white, conservative, and relatively self-sustaining.

Are they large enough to the extent that they almost form separate identities?

Archived