Could the long Orange County nightmare be coming to an end?

ZapRowsdower8

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When the Angels first joined mlb they actually played in Dodger stadium for a year or two.

Actually, when the Los Angeles Angels first joined Major League Baseball - in 1961 - they played their games at Wrigley Field, located about 1.5 miles southeast of the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. They then moved to Dodger Stadium for the 1962 through 1965 MLB seasons, before relocating to Anaheim Stadium in time for the 1966 season.

Correct as that was their PCL home.

Off topic, but I always found it a bit a amusing that both Disneyland and Disneyworld, despite being in two different states across the country, are both located in Orange County. Orange County, California and Orange County, Florida.

niagaraq.png

4474560740_5a7455c79e_z.jpg

I love old pictures of Anaheim Stadium. There was nothing out there.

Just outside of the frame on the top-left, you would probably be able to see I-5 and some of the hotels around Disneyland.

Off topic, but I always found it a bit a amusing that both Disneyland and Disneyworld, despite being in two different states across the country, are both located in Orange County. Orange County, California and Orange County, Florida.

Disney World is also partly in Osceola County [/disneynerd]

But your point stands.

I think it's a chicken-and-egg thing about whether "nobody would know where Anaheim was" without the Ducks/Angels. I think having a major sports team with your city's name sort of makes you a different class of city. It just gets your name out in the public consciousness. I was looking at the Wikipedia list of most populous cities in the US, and I found that the ranking that I had in my head favored the sports cities over non-sports cities.

You're absolutely right.

That's why Anaheim went ape :censored: when Moreno found his loophole.

Yes but the reason for that even coming to an issues is the fact that the mouse house and the city agreed to rename the team for two reasons: one was contingent on the city fronting the $$$ for the stadium renovation and the other was to promote the "Disney Anaheim Resort" which was a big marketing campaign to promote CA Adventure, Disneyland, and the Angels as a destination. Obviously that didn't really pan out.

I understand the desire for small time cities wanting their name as part of their pro sports team. Partially because of the subsidy the other for the supposed "branding" value but come on. Nobody is going to make Anaheim a destination vacation no matter how many pro sports teams use their city name as there's no reason. Same deal with Arlington. They have 2 pro team but who in the hell would ever go to TX to specifically visit that town. Likewise Santa Clara, despite hosting the 9ers for 8 days a year and potential playoffs, everybody knows that changing SF 49ers to SC 49ers would be futile as the only other attractions in that town are a 2nd rate amusement park and office parks.

Yeah it didn't really pan out. NOBODY goes to Disneyland for a vacation ever :rolleyes:

NOBODY would ever travel to Anaheim if it wasn't for Disneyland. Nor does anyone care about Anaheim because the city is not a tourist destination. The theme park put the city on the map. Without Disney you'd have a better time visiting Garden Grove or Tustin.

Same deal with Arlington. They have 2 pro team but who in the hell would ever go to TX to specifically visit that town.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong or taking it out of context, but I've done exactly that twice in the past few years. Saw a Cowboys game and at least one Rangers game each time in the span of a weekend and never left Arlington except to go to the airport.

Same deal with Arlington. They have 2 pro team but who in the hell would ever go to TX to specifically visit that town.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong or taking it out of context, but I've done exactly that twice in the past few years. Saw a Cowboys game and at least one Rangers game each time in the span of a weekend and never left Arlington except to go to the airport.

i think he meant to not go to a game

Yeah it didn't really pan out. NOBODY goes to Disneyland for a vacation ever :rolleyes:

Clearly, you've never seen all the Midwestern tourist families, hoarding the McDonald's and that pirate-buffet restaurant along Harbor Blvd.

Didn't realize the Midwest were the only people in America that ate bad food and went on vacations. They must be the ones supporting the entire fast food industry in California. Not, you know, Californians. I'm actually impressed.

Archived