Peyton Manning's awful Buick patch on practice jersey.

suns1977

The ads are the very reason why I've never bought a soccer jersey. Matter of fact, I don't own any clothing with any advertisements. No Old Navy, no Hollister, no nothin'.*

* However, I DO own band and sports team shirts/hats/hoodies. In my opinion, those are less egregious than shirts with 'NIKE' or 'AEROPOSTALE' emblazoned across the chest.

Sigs are for sissies.

The ads are the very reason why I've never bought a soccer jersey. Matter of fact, I don't own any clothing with any advertisements. No Old Navy, no Hollister, no nothin'.*

* However, I DO own band and sports team shirts/hats/hoodies. In my opinion, those are less egregious than shirts with 'NIKE' or 'AEROPOSTALE' emblazoned across the chest.

Ehh, thats different in my opinion anyways. Wearing a band/team shirt is more about showing off what you like, whereas paying money to be a walking advertisement for the manufacturer of your clothes seems ridiculous.

Ehh, thats different in my opinion anyways. Wearing a band/team shirt is more about showing off what you like, whereas paying money to be a walking advertisement for the manufacturer of your clothes seems ridiculous.

Funny, they seem exactly the same to me.

Wearing a team is a matter of civic pride. They represent a city first, and that's why they should not use advertising. If the Denver Broncos want to use advertising on their game jerseys, they should not be allowed to use the city name. They can be the Buick Broncos all they want, and the fans who want to support will support. But they won't get the people who root for Denver because it's Denver.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Funny, they seem exactly the same to me.

Wearing a team is a matter of civic pride. They represent a city first, and that's why they should not use advertising. If the Denver Broncos want to use advertising on their game jerseys, they should not be allowed to use the city name. They can be the Buick Broncos all they want, and the fans who want to support will support. But they won't get the people who root for Denver because it's Denver.

You really should not have opened this can of worms again. The pro sports/civic pride correlation is loose at best given the fact that pro sports are for profit entities that often move or threaten to move cities for their own financial benefit. That hardly exemplifies civic connection. Additionally someone can be a fan of a pro sports team and have zero connection to the home city thus generating zero civic pride.

Pro sports is Big business and nothing else. Ad creep is inevitable.

Archived