Guest darkpiranha

I like it. It combines the mindless impracticalness of my idea with something based in reality that would actually work.

How about this: The whole setup looks like a giant beaver dam, with the giant screen in the middle of it. You could call it The Big Dam Roadshow.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for the delay, guys.

Like I said, this will proceed kinda slowly because of my lack of time to do this stuff.

Anyway, "Uniforms" will be up next, and we'll start with the Seattle Kraken.

Did You Know?...That Seattle has as many or more Stanley Cups than 12 current NHL teams?

Back in 1917 The Seattle Metropolitans of the PCHA, defeated NHA's Montreal Canadiens to win Lord Stanley's mug.

Did You Also Know?... That Seattle's bid for an NHL franchise (for the 1992-93 expansion) was hi-jacked and sabotaged by a basketball guy?

Apparently, Bill Ackerly, son of SuperSonics owner Barry Ackerly, joined the bid committee, only to abort the process.

The following is a link to a great read for all of you conspiracy theorists...

http://www.seattlehockey.net/Seattle_Hockey_Homepage/Seattle_and_the_NHL.html

Seattle Kraken Uniforms

Seattle has been home to many hockey teams over the years, including such franchises such as the Totems, Breakers, and Thunderbirds.

It seems though that Seattleites are most fond of their 1917 Stanley Cup Champs, The Metropolitans.

Frank-Foyston-Metropolitans.png

So it was a bit of a no-brainer to design a throwback alt based on the candy-striped Mets' unis.

I toned down the Christmassy look, by darkening and greying the green; brickin' up the red, and using a vintage white.

4-18.jpg

The Home unis are a pretty basic hockey design except for the large trident Logo-Stripe on the arms.

I'm not sure about the black pants. I went with those to make the uniforms a little more different than the Wild.

I used 'white-white' rather than the vintage white on the Aways. It just looked cleaner.

I'd rank the logo packages as:

1) Ontario Beavers

2) Halifax Highlanders

3) Seattle Kraken

4) Quebec Nordiques

To my mind, the Ontario and Halifax packages rank substantially higher than Seattle and Quebec.

While I want to love the Kraken marks more, something is holding me back. I suspect that it is the color palette you've used. I just don't find it particularly attractive and it doesn't strike me as being well-suited to a team hailing from Seattle, particularly one sporting an aquatic theme. I understand wanting to pay homage to the Green, Red, and White of the Metropolitans, but I believe that you've tied your hands by requiring yourself to the color scheme. You've already tipped your hat to the Metropolitans by rendering the kraken's tentacle in the shape of an S, as well as emblazoning the SEATTLE wordmark on said tentacle. Honestly, I think that's enough; free yourself to explore other color combinations - particularly something in the way of Blues, Greens, and Greys.

Navy Blue Royal Blue Neon Lime White

Royal Blue Sky Blue Neon Lime White

Navy Blue Green Silver Grey White

Dark Green Silver Grey Neon Lime White

Dark Green Navy Blue Silver Grey White

Dark Green Navy Blue Neon Lime White

I don't know... I'm just brainstorming. As I said, I want to love the Kraken package more, but something's holding me back.

In any event, outstanding work!

I don't know how I hadn't seen this until now, but....my dude, that Beavers logo is amazing. I want that to be an NHL team immediately & I want to cut all ties with the Bruins just so I can wear Beavers gear every day. Be proud.

I really like the rest of this series too. Can't wait to see the rest of the jerseys. I like the modern style of the Kraken jerseys, yet with a somewhat retro-looking color scheme. I also should add that like you, I too thought the Nordiques logo was a depiction of a guy playing hockey in some sort of hunchback position. I didn't get it as a kid, but I still thought the style that hockey player was drawn in was awesome.

The Kraken's PA announcer would have to say this before every period and when a Kraken was released from the penalty box:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SqC_m3yUDU

That's brilliant Blue..."Release the Kraken!" announced before every Kraken player leaves the penalty box! I love it.

I don't know how I hadn't seen this until now, but....my dude, that Beavers logo is amazing. I want that to be an NHL team immediately & I want to cut all ties with the Bruins just so I can wear Beavers gear every day. Be proud.

I really like the rest of this series too. Can't wait to see the rest of the jerseys. I like the modern style of the Kraken jerseys, yet with a somewhat retro-looking color scheme. I also should add that like you, I too thought the Nordiques logo was a depiction of a guy playing hockey in some sort of hunchback position. I didn't get it as a kid, but I still thought the style that hockey player was drawn in was awesome.

Thanks eRay. It's good to know that others saw the hockey player too.

I'd rank the logo packages as:

1) Ontario Beavers

2) Halifax Highlanders

3) Seattle Kraken

4) Quebec Nordiques

To my mind, the Ontario and Halifax packages rank substantially higher than Seattle and Quebec.

While I want to love the Kraken marks more, something is holding me back. I suspect that it is the color palette you've used. I just don't find it particularly attractive and it doesn't strike me as being well-suited to a team hailing from Seattle, particularly one sporting an aquatic theme. I understand wanting to pay homage to the Green, Red, and White of the Metropolitans, but I believe that you've tied your hands by requiring yourself to the color scheme. You've already tipped your hat to the Metropolitans by rendering the kraken's tentacle in the shape of an S, as well as emblazoning the SEATTLE wordmark on said tentacle. Honestly, I think that's enough; free yourself to explore other color combinations - particularly something in the way of Blues, Greens, and Greys.

Navy Blue Royal Blue Neon Lime White

Royal Blue Sky Blue Neon Lime White

Navy Blue Green Silver Grey White

Dark Green Silver Grey Neon Lime White

Dark Green Navy Blue Silver Grey White

Dark Green Navy Blue Neon Lime White

I don't know... I'm just brainstorming. As I said, I want to love the Kraken package more, but something's holding me back.

In any event, outstanding work!

Thanks again for the input Brian. I used your previous suggestions and they definitely improved the logos.

Yeah, I suck at colours. The only concern that I have with using any sort of Blue-Green combo, would be the similarity with the Canucks; Seattle's potential closest rival.

I like the lime green suggestion. It's almost a natural choice for a "Kraken". I'll give it a shot.

That Kraken Alt. should be the home set. Awesome look and great great overall set. The Beavers are still my favorite, but you have made a strong case for each.

Thanks GP...

Alt for the win.

...and darkp.

If I went with the very old school alt for the Home, would I need to change the Aways to something like this?...

4-19.jpg

Guest darkpiranha

Bring back the green! These look too much like the Senators now, especially the striped alts. I'd be curious to see it with lime green, but I think the combo you had before was just right. It felt historical and traditional and it was a combo I don't see anywhere else. The muted colors just feel a lot more Kraken-y. Victorian.

Bring back the green! These look too much like the Senators now, especially the striped alts. I'd be curious to see it with lime green, but I think the combo you had before was just right. It felt historical and traditional and it was a combo I don't see anywhere else. The muted colors just feel a lot more Kraken-y. Victorian.

Not a criticism, just a question about the chocie of Kraken for a name.

I would associate kraken more with the Atlantic, and not the Pacific. Might there not be a more Pacific-specific name to say the same sort of thing?

...And you're right Stampman.

The kraken is Atlantian in origin. In fact, I think that it's a Norwegian or Swedish word.

Again, I never considered Kraken until I noticed that it was doing surprisingly well in a recent poll.

Here's the link...

http://seattlesportscentral.com/seattle-nhl-team-names/

To me it was the only fresh idea in the top 5.

Cool link.

I went from there to the comments, and saw some other ideas I liked as well, but if you're getting it from locals--that makes sense--even if the reasoning doesn't...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

That Nordiques alternate logo is superb. I'd say it's good enough to be a primary for the Nordiques 2.0, as much as I don't see them using anything other than the igloo.

--

I'm interested to see how you would handle the back numbers on the updated Seattle white jersey. As for the barberbole sweater, I'm not sure if that would work as a full-time home jersey in the modern NHL, but at the same time it's hard not to like it given what it's paying tribute to, and also the colour scheme works really well. In fact, I'd say the muted colours here work better for barberpole than something like Montreal's 100th Anniversary throwback. Although a jersey matching the white uniform's striping could also work.

Overall, this is turning out to be...

*Sunglasses*

...a Kraken concept ;)

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Yea, those jerseys would be fantastic like that. Also I don't know if anyones pointed this out yet but you sponsoring their sticks is an awesome touch.

Thx Windell. The stick thing seemed like a good idea...until I wanted to "flip" the image!

Yeah darkp, the colours went a little off on that one. I'm workin' on something with some lime green in it, but I kind of like the muted colours too.

Not a criticism, just a question about the chocie of Kraken for a name.

I would associate kraken more with the Atlantic, and not the Pacific. Might there not be a more Pacific-specific name to say the same sort of thing?

...And you're right Stampman.

The kraken is Atlantian in origin. In fact, I think that it's a Norwegian or Swedish word.

Again, I never considered Kraken until I noticed that it was doing surprisingly well in a recent poll.

Here's the link...

http://seattlesportscentral.com/seattle-nhl-team-names/

To me it was the only fresh idea in the top 5.

Cool link.

I went from there to the comments, and saw some other ideas I liked as well, but if you're getting it from locals--that makes sense--even if the reasoning doesn't...

"Kraken" just seemed like a fun concept to try, and I think that it will be full value for the upcoming Mascot and Merchandise segments.

Excellent job on the jerseys. That home is what the Senators should've gone with for the heritage.

Thanks Windup.

I would make one of the two original home/away jersey an alternate if you went with those for the primaries.

I'm leaning towards keeping the alt as an alt, and improving on the other designs for the Home and Aways.

That Nordiques alternate logo is superb. I'd say it's good enough to be a primary for the Nordiques 2.0, as much as I don't see them using anything other than the igloo.

--

I'm interested to see how you would handle the back numbers on the updated Seattle white jersey. As for the barberbole sweater, I'm not sure if that would work as a full-time home jersey in the modern NHL, but at the same time it's hard not to like it given what it's paying tribute to, and also the colour scheme works really well. In fact, I'd say the muted colours here work better for barberpole than something like Montreal's 100th Anniversary throwback. Although a jersey matching the white uniform's striping could also work.

Overall, this is turning out to be...

*Sunglasses*

...a Kraken concept ;)

You're right on wild...The muted colours do seem to work better on a multi-striped concept.

I'm "close" with the Kraken unis, but no cigar yet.

Sometimes when you're struggling with something, the best thing to do is....bail!

...Go do something else for a while.

I'll come back to the Krake unis but for now I'm gonna work on the Nordiques.

Quebec Nordiques Uniforms

This concept has a lot of history behind it and a lot of people are very passionate about this team...

So I want to get it right.

GotPixels did a real nice job in his exceptional NFL thread, on blending Houston Oilers and Texans looks.

The Nordiques have a similar visual history, in that they started off with a light blue/red/ white palette, and ended with a darker blue shade.

In fact had they stayed, the team was proceeding with an even darker blue concept.

So, I thought that I would follow GP's lead and go forward with double blue/red/white.

It seemed only fitting to use Joe for this presentation...

4-20.jpg

Nordiques fans...Let me know what you think!

Guest darkpiranha

Love them, but I think the Homes need more white in them. Bottoms of sleeves and socks, maybe. Alts look great like they are with no extra white.

Archived