Is the current Denver Broncos uniform/logo a "classic"?

theonlymember

I've read many articles that claim that the logo/uniforms are "dated". But in your opinion, is the current Denver Broncos uniform/logo now historic/classic enough to where anything but minor tweaks would upset the Denver Broncos fanbase and/or uniform fanatics?

I think so. Here are a few reasons why:

• Started the "modern" uniform trend in 1996
  • Is now 17 years old
  • Is relatively modest compared to current "modern" uniforms
  • Broncos won all Super Bowls in these uniforms
  • Last uniform worn by some all-time Bronco greats (Terrell Davis, John Elway, Shannon Sharpe)
  • Jason Elam set the longest FG record in these uniforms
  • Peyton Manning tied the passing TD in a single game record in these uniforms

Some image links:

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/46/files/2013/06/davis_terrell.jpg

http://www.dgpics.com/images/Sport/ELWAY%20TD-TROPHY.jpg

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0802/nfl_g_sharpe11_576.jpg

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/files/2010/03/elam4.jpg

LAKERS | BRONCOS | GOLDEN BEARS | PAC-12 FOOTBALL

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Logo, yes.

Jerseys, no.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Modern classics. I'd still take the previous set over them, but I've grown to love these. Now that we've gone back to orange jerseys, the only thing I'd like to see is a different number font, but that might be asking for trouble considering some of the real zingers out there.

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

And keep in mind that these navy jerseys you posted are no longer their primary jersey and are no longer paired with their white pants.

I would say this is a modern classic. Not because that it's aesthetically the best designed, but for the reasons you mentioned and the for that fact through all these years, it's remained the same. It was different, bold and it's identifiable.

Go A's!

Simple answer, no I work at a sports store outside of Denver and I don't think donkey fans would be upset in the slightest if they updated the D logo. Honestly IMO most broncos fans probably don't see the set as unchangeable like say Bears,Packers or Chiefs fans. I do think the Robo-horse and current uni's are there to stay as long as elway is in charge.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

Being a gigantic Broncos fan, and considering that I loved the D logo too, I would hope to never see these Uni's change. The Orange moving to the home jersey was the last change that needed to be made and now the team is perfect. The logo is perfect and I could never associate any other logo with my Broncos.

Colorado Born and Raised!!

2gm6.png
LasVegasBowl_zpsdb9fb995.png

Simple answer, no I work at a sports store outside of Denver and I don't think donkey fans would be upset in the slightest if they updated the D logo. Honestly IMO most broncos fans probably don't see the set as unchangeable like say Bears,Packers or Chiefs fans. I do think the Robo-horse and current uni's are there to stay as long as elway is in charge.

Watching the game last night and having gone to a game a two years ago I would agree with you that the jersey is not that popular with adult fans. Fake throwbacks were definitely the jersey of choice both in the old orange and the nfl 75th style. Kids had the new ones.

With that being said the set is a modern classic. It's a modern and bold design but not overdone. It uses big blocks of color and sweeping lines very well for effect which keeps the uniform very clean unlike the reebok knock offs like the falcons, cards etc. I've always wondered if the folks at nike like that uniform is still around or do they think it's dated and replace it with a completely new design?

I'd say it's a classic. I like the letters and numbers that go with it. I just wish the homes had always been orange and that they had updated the horse/D logo instead of just having a horse head.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Lemme see...

classic (ˈkla·sik/)

(adj) judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind.

So...classic? Oh, HELL no. Nyet. Nu. Uh-uh. Naw. Nothing about this is classic. It's not even a modern classic. It's not an anything classic.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

No, not classic. I'm ok with their current set, although it will always be inferior to the previous set. I dislike the current set largely because of the horrible designs it spawned. The uniform world would be better off today had the Broncos said ,"nah, it's not the uniforms that are keeping us from a championship. No thanks, Nike."

That being said, the navy jerseys with white pants were much better as the primary. I also wanted the Broncos to switch to orange a few years back, but after seeing them regularly, they aren't nearly as good as the navy jerseys. It's the same issues as with the Panthers' alternates. The loud, bright color works excellently as an accent, but when made the primary color, it's just too much. It also makes the color look washed out. Look at how much the orange popped off the navy set- compared to the orange jersey where the navy is just kinda there. The dark jerseys are more bold in both cases.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Lemme see...

classic (ˈkla·sik/)

(adj) judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind.

So...classic? Oh, HELL no. Nyet. Nu. Uh-uh. Naw. Nothing about this is classic. It's not even a modern classic. It's not an anything classic.

Agreed.

I prefer the navy as the primary uniform. If it were, I'd consider it as well as their whole graphic identity a classic.

There's a reason teams are still using design elements from this set today. This along with the texans identity are modern classics. Although the texans didnt necessarily do anything groundbreaking.

I love classic stripes and block numbers, but it's nice to see some unique designs and nice number fonts when done right. And I have no problem with either of these looks and don't see them getting outdated anytime soon, if not ever.

The logo is okay.

The uniforms have become really boring and old-hat, especially considering how many college programs ended up using that same exact template. They could definitely use a change.

I don't buy the "they're tired" argument. Everyone copying them wasn't their fault. They were the originators of the design, and thus I feel they should be spared from the criticisms of its overuse.

I don't mind the look itself. It started the "modern" trend, but I feel it's superior to much that came after it. It's modern, but it's very clean and very distinctive. Not so many random panels and piping that it becomes a jumbled visual mess (Cinncinati, Atlanta, Arizona, old Buffalo and Minnesota). As far as "modern" goes, I think it's fine. I wouldn't say it's a modern classic, but something doesn't have to be classic to be good, or even ok.

The logo, however, looks incredibly dated. The cyber horse looks like it came right out of the late 90s. I haven't seen an update of the old horse/D logo that I've really liked, but I'm sure something along those lines could be done that's better then what they're using

I love the return to orange. The navy always bugged me because I felt it muddled the AFC West colour-wise, with only the reds KC wore standing out. The Chargers, as far as I'm concerned, are the only blue AFC West team. The Broncos have always been, at heart, an orange team and it's great to see them wearing it again.

That being said, I wouldn't mind a more traditional redesign that incorporated an updated horse/D mark, the shade of blue used for the Orange Crush era helmets, and the jersey template used from 1965-66. What they have now, however, is servicable. Not classic, but ok. Good enough that a change isn't needed immedietly like it for some teams.

Archived