2020 Olympics Awarded to Tokyo

rams80

I didn't realize Spain's economy was bad. I was hoping they would get the 2020 Olympics. Part of the reason was their logo, especially the hidden M20 (Madrid '20). But the more serious reason was the potential Global conflicts. Turkey is already a stones throw away from Syria, which we all know is going on there. Also, with Tokyo, they aren't that far from the Koreas if my geography is right. Who knows what will be going on with them. They have been VERY quiet this summer, so we'll see hat happens, though this is all just under 7 years from the 2020 Olympics.

Onto a less serious, less politically involved question, will Pokémon play any role in these Olympics? :P lol

PAY ATTENTION TO THE NEWS.

Also killing the Japanese is about the only thing the two Koreas agree on, so no worries about any possible conflict there.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't realize Spain's economy was bad. I was hoping they would get the 2020 Olympics. Part of the reason was their logo, especially the hidden M20 (Madrid '20). But the more serious reason was the potential Global conflicts. Turkey is already a stones throw away from Syria, which we all know is going on there. Also, with Tokyo, they aren't that far from the Koreas if my geography is right. Who knows what will be going on with them. They have been VERY quiet this summer, so we'll see hat happens, though this is all just under 7 years from the 2020 Olympics.

Onto a less serious, less politically involved question, will Pokémon play any role in these Olympics? :P lol

I doubt the Syrian civil war will still be going on in 2020.

Also killing the Japanese is about the only thing the two Koreas agree on, so no worries about any possible conflict there.

HEY, let's not get too deep into politics here, there are plenty of other places to discuss that.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

If it comes to North America my vote would have to go to New York, number of world-class venues. World class venues, slam dunk.

The same with LA and the OC (don't call it that again). I already listed the Staples Center, Farmers Field, LA Stadium if that gets built, StubHub Center, and the Honda Ponda.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

I think 2024 would be good for USA close to the Sesquicentennial

And from everything I've heard, Philly is the favorite to be the USA's bidding city then.

I'd be very fine with that. Close enough to the NYC area without all of the "shutting down the whole city" issues for NYC :P

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

If it comes to North America my vote would have to go to New York, number of world-class venues. World class venues, slam dunk.

The same with LA and the OC (don't call it that again). I already listed the Staples Center, Farmers Field, LA Stadium if that gets built, StubHub Center, and the Honda Ponda.

Yes, but LA has already hosted twice. Since the IOC is all about incorporating new areas, and in America there are so many available, it's hard to believe they'd go to LA a 3rd time.

Practically speaking, couldn't you adequately hold an Olympics using the existing facilities at any number of large American universities? I mean, I know why they don't.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yes, but LA has already hosted twice. Since the IOC is all about incorporating new areas, and in America there are so many available, it's hard to believe they'd go to LA a 3rd time.

*cough*London Has Had 3*cough*

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Is there a more unlucky Olympic bid city than Madrid? Maybe Paris?

Well it's not really a suprise that Madrid didn't get it, you know given the state of Spain's economy right now.

So why are people suggesting an American bid in 2024? Aren't we in a similar, if not worse, financial state than Spain or Greece?

HEY, let's not get too deep into politics here, there are plenty of other places to discuss that.

This is less politics and more basic awareness of the world at large. Spain's economy has been in the crapper for the last few years.

Well it's not really a suprise that Madrid didn't get it, you know given the state of Spain's economy right now.

So why are people suggesting an American bid in 2024? Aren't we in a similar, if not worse, financial state than Spain or Greece?

Speaking of which.....

Good Lord No.

Today, we are all otaku.

1. I doubt the Syrian civil war will still be going on in 2020.

2. PAY ATTENTION TO THE NEWS.

Wanna get this in real quick so we don't derail the thread:

1. Maybe not, but I think its likely. Again, a different story, so lets not derail the thread.

2. Kinda hard when CNN (my main news source) rarely talks about anything other than Syria. Again, different subject, no need to talk about it here.

Personally, I think either the US or Canada should get the 2024 Olympics. I could see Toronto getting the Games, it would be cool to see NY or LA get them, but that's been discussed in the Washington 2024, Anyone? thread.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

1. Maybe not, but I think its likely. Again, a different story, so lets not derail the thread.

2. Kinda hard when CNN (my main news source) rarely talks about anything other than Syria. Again, different subject, no need to talk about it here.

Personally, I think either the US or Canada should get the 2024 Olympics. I could see Toronto getting the Games, it would be cool to see NY or LA get them, but that's been discussed in the Washington 2024, Anyone? thread.

1. Most wars don't last 10 years, especially if the US gets involved with Syria.

2. Don't form opinions based off of CNN they give you the liberal view on EVERYTHING.

3. No! No! No! DC Olympics would be TERRIBLE. I'm pretty sure there's a thread on that.

Hmm, it might be because America has an abundance of large venues that could support Olympic-sized crowds, also America has 300 Million+ people as potential spectators, that's alot more than 30-50 Million. Plus, America's situation isn't as bad as Greece is. In 08 it may have been, but we've gotten a little bit better since then.

1. Most wars don't last 10 years, especially if the US gets involved with Syria.

2. Don't watch CNN. They're so liberal it's not even funny.

3. No! No! No! DC Olympics would be TERRIBLE. I'm pretty sure there's a thread on that.

1. Didn't the war on terror and crisis in the middle east started strongly at the beginning of last decade, and hasnt it been exactly 10 years since the US has went there and theyre just coming out now?

2. Nothing wrong with being liberal, if you want to prove that he shouldn't watch it, come out with a valid point from the other side.

3. I think the IOC just puts their hands over their ears and sing "LALALALA" whenever the US in mentioned anyway.

You're either incredibly ignorant or being incredibly hyperbolic. As bad as you think the US economy is, and it's not in the best shape, it's surging compared to the PIGS of Europe (Portugal, Ireland, Greece, Spain).

Sorry, you're going to have find another avenue to complain about yuppies, hipsters, and baby boomers.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

6fQjS3M.png

Say the US gets involved in Syria, and Assad's ousted. Agree with that or not, it's going to have long-lasting effects on the region, a region that includes Turkey. Sure, the war will probably be over by then, but you'd still have radical elements in the region (Assad loyalists backed by Iran, for example) that could use the games as a platform to attack the US and their allies for getting involved in the war seven years prior (our present).

Not to mention that, as rams pointed out, Turkey's going to some dark places politically that might not make it a viable location to hold the Games in the near future.

2. Don't watch CNN. They're so liberal it's not even funny.

No comment.

I wouldn't mind an American Olympics, but DC shouldn't be the city to host it. In the UK London is both the capital and cultural centre. In France Paris is both the capital and cultural centre. In Japan Tokyo is both the capital and cultural centre. The US isn't like that. DC, from its inception, has always been a sort of background town/city/metropolis. It's the capital, and that makes it important, but it's not the cultural centre of the country. That would probably be New York. And a NY Olympics is something I could get behind.

The fact of Istanbul is LOOK ON A MAP, Istanbul is so far away from Syria, Iraq, and Iran that it probably won't matter.

Istanbul is in Turkey. Turkey borders Syria. Turkey's also becoming a bit radicalized at the moment as the government there is beginning to adopt more and more anti-Western/pro-Islamist policies. It's not unreasonable to fear that radicals looking to do western nations harm would have easy access to Turkey and relatively free movements within it.

Yeah, Istanbul has never had the Olympics and Tokyo's had them before, and isn't it a nice sentiment to give them to Istanbul. Sadly, however, the realities of international geo-politics trumps sentiment.

Archived