2020 Olympics Awarded to Tokyo

rams80

The fact of Istanbul is LOOK ON A MAP, Istanbul is so far away from Syria, Iraq, and Iran that it probably won't matter.

Istanbul is in Turkey. Turkey borders Syria. Turkey's also becoming a bit radicalized at the moment as the government there is beginning to adopt more and more anti-Western/pro-Islamist policies. It's not unreasonable to fear that radicals looking to do western nations harm would have easy access to Turkey and relatively free movements within it.

Yeah, Istanbul has never had the Olympics and Tokyo's had them before, and isn't it a nice sentiment to give them to Istanbul. Sadly, however, the realities of international geo-politics trumps sentiment.

Ok, since you didn't look at a map I'll point it out to you: Istanbul is in the far-NW corner of Turkey. Damascus to Istanbul is 18 hours by car. I think Istanbul could host an olympic games, but I guess none of y'all can agree with me on that.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact of Istanbul is LOOK ON A MAP, Istanbul is so far away from Syria, Iraq, and Iran that it probably won't matter.

Istanbul is in Turkey. Turkey borders Syria. Turkey's also becoming a bit radicalized at the moment as the government there is beginning to adopt more and more anti-Western/pro-Islamist policies. It's not unreasonable to fear that radicals looking to do western nations harm would have easy access to Turkey and relatively free movements within it.

Yeah, Istanbul has never had the Olympics and Tokyo's had them before, and isn't it a nice sentiment to give them to Istanbul. Sadly, however, the realities of international geo-politics trumps sentiment.

Ok, since you didn't look at a map I'll point it out to you: Istanbul is in the far-NW corner of Turkey. Damascus to Istanbul is 18 hours by car. I think Istanbul could host an olympic games, but I guess none of y'all can agree with me on that.

Why come from Damascus when you've got plenty of recruits in the slums of Istanbul?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

FIFA, for some idiotic reason, didn't heed those diplomatic concerns and gave a World Cup to that unstable region. Now, it seems those high ambitions from Qatar (investing trillions of dollars in climate-controlled infrastructure) will not be met, forcing FIFA to consider moving the tourney in the winter (and thus, screwing around with the FIFA calendar).

Is there a more unlucky Olympic bid city than Madrid? Maybe Paris?

Well it's not really a suprise that Madrid didn't get it, you know given the state of Spain's economy right now.
So why are people suggesting an American bid in 2024? Aren't we in a similar, if not worse, financial state than Spain or Greece?
As bad as you think the US economy is, and it's not in the best shape, it's surging compared to the PIGS of Europe (Portugal, Ireland, Greece, Spain).

MOD EDIT: Let's stick to discussing Tokyo's being awarded the 2020 Olympic Games and/or possible host cities in 2024.

Even with those problems or purported problems, we're still in far better shape.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Is there a more unlucky Olympic bid city than Madrid? Maybe Paris?

Well it's not really a suprise that Madrid didn't get it, you know given the state of Spain's economy right now.
So why are people suggesting an American bid in 2024? Aren't we in a similar, if not worse, financial state than Spain or Greece?
As bad as you think the US economy is, and it's not in the best shape, it's surging compared to the PIGS of Europe (Portugal, Ireland, Greece, Spain).

MOD EDIT: Let's stick to discussing Tokyo's being awarded the 2020 Olympic Games and/or possible host cities in 2024.

You said that the US economy was as bad or worse then the economies of Spain and Greece. That's simply an incorrect statement. Is the US economy literally surging? No, of course not Sparky. But it is, and this is the important part, in comparison to the economies of Spain and Greece. You said something ridiculous, I pointed out how that was factually incorrect.

You know what Spain's unemployment rate is? 26.3% Greece's? 27.6% In Spain the unemployment rate for youth is 56.1% The unemployment rate for youth in Greece is 65%.

In the US, even if we accept your U-6 numbers of yours, the unemployment rate in the US is close to 15% and unemployment for youth is 11.8%

These aren't good numbers for the US, but compared to Greece and Spain? The US is not worse off then those countries. Which was your original point. Which was wrong.

And I'm sorry for more off-topic discussion. Congrats to Tokyo.

Hmm, it might be because America has an abundance of large venues that could support Olympic-sized crowds, also America has 300 Million+ people as potential spectators, that's alot more than 30-50 Million. Plus, America's situation isn't as bad as Greece is. In 08 it may have been, but we've gotten a little bit better since then.

It doesn't matter how many venues "America" has; it's all about what a city and, to a lesser extent, a small region around it can cobble together. If you're going to include all 300+ million people in the US as potential spectators for an American Olympics, then you might as well include all the Americans in a total for a Canadian Games and vice versa. Passport/passport card/enhanced driver's license issues acknowledged, but Toronto is within easy driving distance of a huge swath of the population. I found this neat website that says there are over 100 million people in the US within a 500 mile radius of downtown Toronto... about a 10 hour drive.

Can't help but wonder how freakin' awesome the opening ceremony in Tokyo will be. You already know they're going to shell out lots of dough for the ceremony alone. Japanese culture has a lot of cool (and occasionally weird) sh** to showcase. I have my fingers crossed for giant robot sightings.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Can't help but wonder how freakin' awesome the opening ceremony in Tokyo will be. You already know they're going to shell out lets of dough for the ceremony alone. Japanese culture has a lot of cool (and occasionally weird) sh** to showcase. I have my fingers crossed for giant robot sightings.

And we all know the power level will be OVER 9000.

Dudes, they're not going to have an opening ceremony with a bunch of weeaboo crap.

False. There will be giant transforming robots welcoming people to the games, super sentai will deliver the Olympic flame to the stadium, and girls wearing nothing but shimapan will dance to the Olympic theme...performed by a vocaloid, naturally...while Domo lights the cauldron.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

Dudes, they're not going to have an opening ceremony with a bunch of weeaboo crap.

False. There will be giant transforming robots welcoming people to the games, super sentai will deliver the Olympic flame to the stadium, and girls wearing nothing but shimapan will dance to the Olympic theme...performed by a vocaloid, naturally...while Domo lights the cauldron.

That is....*sniff* amazing!

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

Archived