2013-14 NHL Season: "We Are North American Scum"

Funky Bunky

oh and the good guys won their 6th straight game, which is tied for a franchise record. And they're in a playoff position with one of the wildcards. This is so much fun.

So they can play the Penguins in the first round, get swept again, and have game 4 in their building be 90% Penguins fans XD

I wonder why everyone thinks Penguins fans are the biggest douches in the NHL......

Looks like there's some carry over from fans of their NFL team.

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh and the good guys won their 6th straight game, which is tied for a franchise record. And they're in a playoff position with one of the wildcards. This is so much fun.

So they can play the Penguins in the first round, get swept again, and have game 4 in their building be 90% Penguins fans XD

I wonder why everyone thinks Penguins fans are the biggest douches in the NHL......

Well, if it makes you feel any better, their "Penguins Ohio" thing isn't just restricted to Ohio. For some reason, this is a "suggested post" on my FB stream.

safe_image.jpg

not sure how anything Penguins related can come up when the only hockey links I have are various hahah scratch that, it's probably because Evgeni Malkin is one of my favorite players and there's a link in there about that. Stupid FB.

spacer.png

Well, that fight has the hockey world not really discussing the major F-up that cost the Kings a point and could alter the Eastern playoff race.

The thing is that for the Kings, they're on-pace with the Sharks even after last night's f#ck-up. With all things being equal (same number of games played), LA is four points behind San Jose but has two games with them directly to make up the difference. So still manageable.

But after Detroit was hand-picked two points it shouldn't have gotten, this outcome has more detrimental effects for the East race.

For all those saying the Kings got screwed - with two points and/or ROW - let's not forget the refs "intent" to blow the whistle on the Sharks OT goal vs the Sabres - a incident that again isn't reviewable (I see a pattern here). At least the Sharks and Kings are in the same division and they'll settle it on the ice, but yeah no goal should count off the netting - saw the replay and refs not even looking at it. Hey NHL: Here's a though: Let's not give officials outs.

Heard Tortorella could get 3-5 games and fined $100K - According to Milbury.

Are Penguins fans seriously pretending they have a far-reaching fanbase who turns far-away road games into home games?

There are a lot of Penguins fans in Ohio, lots of displaced Pittsburghers in general, and Columbus is a relatively short trip from Pittsburgh.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Are Penguins fans seriously pretending they have a far-reaching fanbase who turns far-away road games into home games?

There are a lot of Penguins fans in Ohio, lots of displaced Pittsburghers in general, and Columbus is a relatively short trip from Pittsburgh.

Yeah, before the Jackets came along, the Penguins were the NHL team of choice for hockey fans in the eastern half of Ohio. My guess is most Penguins fans didn't "make the switch." Hell, before I moved to New York, started to semi-seriously follow hockey, and the whole Rangers thing happened, the closest thing I had to a favorite NHL team was probably the Penguins. I really liked their jerseys.

90home.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

Longtime Red Sox homer/errr- baseball reporter and very old guy Peter Gammons had this to say on twitter about the Canucks/Flames brawl: "Calgary and Vancouver last night reiterated why the NHL is a minor sport.”

Cool.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Oh yeah, baseball, basketball and football have NEVER had anything worse than that.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Longtime Red Sox homer/errr- baseball reporter and very old guy Peter Gammons had this to say on twitter about the Canucks/Flames brawl: "Calgary and Vancouver last night reiterated why the NHL is a minor sport.”

Cool.

I'm glad the Yankee fans I talk with on a regular basis aren't the only ones to think this about Gammons.

spacer.png

I was referring to the Florida shirt.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I would normally agree with that, but there are always tons of Penguins fans at games in Tampa. It's not a surprise that there are tons in Florida, because it's not hard to outnumber/outvoice Panthers fans in Sunrise, but they get a pretty loud voice in Tampa as well, and we don't have attendance problems in Tampa these days, so that should tell you something. Whether the majority of those fans are bandwagoners or transplants is something that, frankly, I couldn't care less about.

spacer.png

Yeah, before the Jackets came along, the Penguins were the NHL team of choice for hockey fans in the eastern half of Ohio. My guess is most Penguins fans didn't "make the switch."

I can't cite my source on this but I believe there was some agreement between Cleveland and Pittsburgh's FSNs that one would get some Cavs games and the other would get some Pens games to fill out the off nights.

Also, what a comeback for the Isles! They might just go on a tear, you know.

Cool.

Well, that is a bit of a shot not only to the NHL, but the fans. It's not a minor sport, but I think in the states, the consensus is that hockey is the 4th most popular sport behind Football, Basketball, Baseball - then hockey. Flip the middle two sports if you wish, but I think Basketball is slightly more popular than Baseball, not with me, but with the majority of Americans. I don't think fighting in general or these line brawls keep the NHL from being a top major, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't help it.

I think Gammons could have saved himself a little negativity by going this route:

"Calgary and Vancouver last night reiterated why the NHL is is not as popular as other major sports".

It gets the point across without taking a shot at the league and it's fans. While I may not agree, I think it's better. It's a bit sad I've always liked Peter Gammons. I'll still like him, but not as much now.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the NHL lap the NBA in a lot of dual markets as the NBA settles into this rut where most teams have no reason to exist while the self-appointed Basketball Intelligentsia smirks about how this is the way it has to be. It's already starting.

Archived