2013-14 NHL Season: "We Are North American Scum"

Funky Bunky

ANYWAY, Paul Maurice of all people has overseen the Jets' return to Bettman .500, thanks to Kane and Little lighting it up again. Coaching had always been their biggest problem (that and awful goaltending,) so I wouldn't be shocked if this team could make a late charge. So watch the HELL out, 124-for/147-against Nashville Predators!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ANYWAY, Paul Maurice of all people has overseen the Jets' return to Bettman .500, thanks to Kane and Little lighting it up again. Coaching had always been their biggest problem (that and awful goaltending,) so I wouldn't be shocked if this team could make a late charge. So watch the HELL out, 124-for/147-against Nashville Predators!

Their run will be broken up when Stan Bowman acquires Ladd and Byfuglien for a 3rd round pick and Michael Handzus. /#HFBoards

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

HFBoards posters wouldn't make so many stupidly one-sided Blackhawks trade proposals if Stan Bowman didn't make so many stupidly one-sided Blackhawks trades.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

HFBoards posters wouldn't make so many stupidly one-sided Blackhawks trade proposals if Stan Bowman didn't make so many stupidly one-sided Blackhawks trades.

THANKS FLORIDA

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Watching NHL rivals on NBCSN between Chicago and Detroit, and while they mention Toews and Kane helping to reverse Chicago's fortunes, they didn't mention Wirtz's death(and his incompetency) at all as to why the Hawks were down for so long.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Watching NHL rivals on NBCSN between Chicago and Detroit, and while they mention Toews and Kane helping to reverse Chicago's fortunes, they didn't mention Wirtz's death(and his incompetency) at all as to why the Hawks were down for so long.

They also relatively ignored Scotty Bownan's connection with both teams, but they had maybe 20 minutes to tell a long story with priority of setting the table for tonight's game.

twitter

Yeah, I watched that and the "NHL Top 10" after that for the first time. They're fine. Cheap, minimally-produced original NHL programming for NBC to throw on. But I'm really curious who the hell decides the order of that Top 10 show.

Last night it was Top 10 Goalies: 1) Hasek 2) Plante 3) Roy 4) Sawchuk 5) Brodeur... what? I mean, Sawchuk at 4, fine. But Roy at 3? with Plante ahead at 2? I know the man invented the goalie mask, but one could strongly argue he was as good as he was because, ya know, the Original 6 era Montreal Canadiens. And I've heard all the arguments for Hasek being the best of all time, and maybe for that short mid-90s stint, yeah, he was. But taking in the entirety of the careers? No. Roy is #1.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Yeah, I watched that and the "NHL Top 10" after that for the first time. They're fine. Cheap, minimally-produced original NHL programming for NBC to throw on. But I'm really curious who the hell decides the order of that Top 10 show.

Last night it was Top 10 Goalies: 1) Hasek 2) Plante 3) Roy 4) Sawchuk 5) Brodeur... what? I mean, Sawchuk at 4, fine. But Roy at 3? with Plante ahead at 2? I know the man invented the goalie mask, but one could strongly argue he was as good as he was because, ya know, the Original 6 era Montreal Canadiens. And I've heard all the arguments for Hasek being the best of all time, and maybe for that short mid-90s stint, yeah, he was. But taking in the entirety of the careers? No. Roy is #1.

Roy gets #1 by default for deking Gretzky.

twitter

Pens dominate Habs. Scrum erupts in front of Fleury late in 3rd period. Him and Budaj try to fight. Refs hold them back. I may or may not have jumped from my seat, reached out, and screamed "FLEURY NO!" like something out of an old school action flick.

oBIgzrL.png

Hawks can't even beat the Grand Rapids Griffins these days.

To be fair, this is the "Who Gives A Rat's Ass" portion of the season with an additional -10 to charisma and -3 to awareness due to olympic proximity.

twitter

Tonight is the 1,000th regular season game in Columbus Blue Jackets history.

Here's my favorite memories:

October 7, 2000. I had a seat above Jocelyn Thibault in the last row of Nationwide Arena and I was wearing my white practice jersey with Stinger’s head on it. I was hooked from day one.

Nash’s goal against Chicago to put us in the 09 playoffs. I was in college and I used to watch all the games by myself in my bedroom because my roommates had no interest in hockey. I watched almost all 82 games that way so them making the playoffs was a very personal experience. I can still remember fist pumping and cheering alone in my room and then sitting down on my bed to collect myself and almost crying as I watched the postgame interviews.

The last game against Nashville last season. Down a goal going into the third and to fight back and win like they did. And that crowd! They only played 48 games and they were only good for half of them, but that will probably always be my favorite CBJ team. That’s the team that rescued us from the doldrums.

Matt Calvert hattrick against Phoenix in the 10-11 season. The building was rocking that night and I got stranded downtown alone so I bought a ticket two rows behind Steve Mason from a scalper for like $25. One of the best games I’ve ever been to and I went alone. It put us a couple points out of the playoffs, they left for a road trip, went 0-5, traded Klesla at the deadline for Scottie Upshall and Sami Lepisto, but they never got back into the race.

The 2007 draft. I went because I was mostly interested in seeing our new uniforms. Watched Yellowcard play a horrible set of songs on the pavilion, and then went inside, booed Gary Bettman, waited until the Blue Jackets took Jakub Voracek seventh and then left.

Bob winning the Vezina last year

Trading Jeff Carter and Jack Johnson’s excitability at playing here was awesome. He wanted to play here and he replaced our petulant dressing room baby. JJ has done so much to change the culture here. Also signing Horton was a watershed moment for me. The best free agent on the market wanted to come here and we didn’t have to grossly overpay the way we have in the past. Players now want to play here and that hasn’t been the case for much of this team’s history.

The run to end last season. I'm so proud of that team and how they fought every single game. Finished tied for 8th and lost on the ROW tiebreaker. They were one point away from pulling off the impossible.

What are your favorite Blue Jackets memories? (well aware this is open to ridicule, but who cares)

PvO6ZWJ.png

What are your favorite Blue Jackets memories? (well aware this is open to ridicule, but who cares)

I'm late to the party but I do have a few. Right off the top, every game I've been to at Nationwide has been a great experience. It's an incredible arena and the team really does it's best to make sure the fans enjoy the games. 1st class operation.

Tuesday night against the Kings. That may have been the most complete Blue Jackets game I've seen in my short tenure.

Obviously, the run last year. It's what sucked me into all this NHL stuff - again. The thing that sticks out most for me was a Matt Calvert SO goal against Detroit. It was art - well as much art as you can have in a SO anyway. I loved the way last year's team played during that run to end the season. I also got to see in person what people don't like about Vancouver.

My one and only in person Blue Jackets win (until tonight I hope) against Chicago in 2003.

You won't like this one...Inaugural season - getting to see the Rangers play the Jackets. Added bonus: the Jackets wore their road jerseys for the game so the Rangers were wearing their white home jerseys.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived