2013-14 NHL Season: "We Are North American Scum"

Funky Bunky

God damn it, NBC. Seriously? Putting Randy/Drew on the national broadcast? You can't send an actual crew out there?

Dave Stredter and Brian Engblom and hell Anson Carter were just in LA on Saturday. Send them up the coast for an extra day. Not hard.

Well Randy and Drew are one of the best in the NHL and it is SAN JOSE'S own arena.

spacer.png

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno, Drew Remenda is so whiny, though. I mean, it's not even like he's the only homer in the league, he's just so petulant about it.

I wish NBCSN would just keep Pat Foley with Eddie one time and not subject us to Squawk Emrick for a change.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I dunno, Drew Remenda is so whiny, though. I mean, it's not even like he's the only homer in the league, he's just so petulant about it.

I wish NBCSN would just keep Pat Foley with Eddie one time and not subject us to Squawk Emrick for a change.

I hate listening to Doc Emrick. I won't watch NBC broadcasts because of him.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Remember that time in the 2012 Final when he stroked out trying to say, like, "hit the shot off the pipe!" and it just came out as like "brawk bawk bawk"?

Remember that time in the 2012 Final when he stroked out trying to say, like, "hit the shot off the pipe!" and it just came out as like "brawk bawk bawk"?

probably not, the last time I sat through a doc emrick broadcast was the 98 or 99 allstar game. I might have watched 2 minutes of 2012 finals and that was flipping through the channels.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Last night after work I made a lamp out of pipes and various hardwares I found around our shop at work. It took everything in my power not to smash it.

The Blue Jackets were in complete control of that game and gave up three goals in less than three minutes to the Staal brothers. I suppose it's payback for that game we stole in Raleigh around Christmas time, but still so frustrating.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Blue Jackets were in complete control of that game and gave up three goals in less than three minutes to the Staal brothers. I suppose it's payback for that game we stole in Raleigh around Christmas time, but still so frustrating.

It was brutal.

BB52Big.jpg

God damn it, NBC. Seriously? Putting Randy/Drew on the national broadcast? You can't send an actual crew out there?

Dave Stredter and Brian Engblom and hell Anson Carter were just in LA on Saturday. Send them up the coast for an extra day. Not hard.

Well Randy and Drew are one of the best in the NHL and it is SAN JOSE'S own arena.

1) No.

2) That's the problem. It was a national NBCSN broadcast. It wasn't even NBC just airing the local CSN feed like they've done in the past. I have a problem with the home announcing team, both PbP and color, on a national broadcast being the local crew. At the very least, split them up. Put Randy Hahn with like Darryl Reaugh or Brian Engblom or whoever. Put John Forslund with Drew Remenda. Even it out, because try as hard as they might, at the end of it, they are San Jose Sharks employees.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

1) No.

2) That's the problem. It was a national NBCSN broadcast. It wasn't even NBC just airing the local CSN feed like they've done in the past. I have a problem with the home announcing team, both PbP and color, on a national broadcast being the local crew. At the very least, split them up. Put Randy Hahn with like Darryl Reaugh or Brian Engblom or whoever. Put John Forslund with Drew Remenda. Even it out, because try as hard as they might, at the end of it, they are San Jose Sharks employees.

It's cheap, they are already there, for the most part they were fine. Plus they have good chemistry,

Basically it boiled down to either have them call the game or don't show it all. For all the complaints people made about NBCSN not showing any Pacific teams, when they do, people complain about who was on the broadcast team.

I know what MIGHTY is saying here, because I remember in the 2010-11 season, both the Bruins at Lightning games that season ended up on NBCSN Versus. In both cases, Rick Peckham (Lightning PbP) and Andy Brickley (Bruins CC) were the commentators for the game. It was logical in the sense that it allowed a voice from each team (and, thus, people who were very familiar with at least one of the teams) to be on the broadcast and both Peckham and Brickley have done work with the network before.

Conversely, I can't recall ever watching a Sharks regular season game on that network that wasn't Hahn and Remenda, and even though I've grown a tolerance for those two as time has gone on (don't ask me why), there was always an inherent laziness behind just airing the CSN California feed for the game because, hey, Versus/NBCSN is Comcast and CSN is obviously Comcast. With that in mind, I have no idea why NBC would actually go through the hassle of actually producing that game and leaving every viewer of that game with the San Jose POV (I mean, try as he might, that was clearly a Sharks homer call from Hahn with the near-muted "score" call on the game's only goal from Los Angeles) when they could've at least left Kings fans with the ability of watching the game on whichever Fox Sports regional network airs Kings game.

We've had this discussion before from a couple of seasons ago during a late-season Sharks/Ducks game. Dan Boyle did something with an empty net and moorings and puck blocking that nearly gave Remenda a coronary. It was fun.

spacer.png

Because we're kinda tired of being treated like second class citizens by the NHL and its broadcast partners. Sure, they finally graciously allowed some Pacific teams to grace their airwaves, but they didn't send one of their true national teams out.

Hell, when I watched the recording the next day, I thought NBCSN half-assed the Dodger Stadium game also and cut corners in ways that they didn't with the Yankee Stadium game the next morning.

I understand NBC has to maintain a bottom-line, but that shouldn't get in the way of equal coverage.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I don't understand this disdain Admiral has for Remenda. It's like he personally hurt you in some way with how harsh you come down on his homerism, which honestly isn't that bad compared to other feeds. Considering I cheer for an out-of-market team, I have to watch a good chunk of visitor feeds and all the west coast guys, by and large, are pretty impartial. I attribute it to how west coast hockey fandom is relatively young, on top of just the overall vibe of the culture there I noticed from visiting SoCal a while back.

Emrick makes the national games unbearable. Don't know anyone who cares for him. Plus, the guy a few posts above me got it right, the Boston fan. They aren't that bad, so cool the jets.

Because we're kinda tired of being treated like second class citizens by the NHL and its broadcast partners. Sure, they finally graciously allowed some Pacific teams to grace their airwaves, but they didn't send one of their true national teams out.

Hell, when I watched the recording the next day, I thought NBCSN half-assed the Dodger Stadium game also and cut corners in ways that they didn't with the Yankee Stadium game the next morning.

I understand NBC has to maintain a bottom-line, but that shouldn't get in the way of equal coverage.

If you ain't O6, you aren't nothing apparently.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

I used to like Emrick, some ten-plus years ago. What the hell happened?

Probably bought into his own hype a little bit, gets caught going out of his way to Be Doc Emrick at the expense of simply calling the game in front of him. Hockey is on the opposite end of the spectrum from baseball; with so little downtime there's very little room to cultivate a certain on-air persona and still do reliable play-by-play. If you're in that seat, you pretty much have to call it straight or you'll miss half of what's in front of you. And that's basically what happens with Doc Emrick these days. There's also the issue of how he's either at a 9 or a 10 at all times, which is precarious because, since this is not Spinal Tap, there's nowhere left to go from there. Watch a national game with people who aren't diehard fans. Invariably, they will say "why is that man yelling so much?" or something to that effect.

If you ain't O6, you aren't nothing apparently.

The Flyers, Capitals, and Penguins are Original Six teams? Who knew?

Archived