2013-14 NHL Season: "We Are North American Scum"

Funky Bunky

If NBC did show Pacific teams on Sundays, the fans would probably just bitch about a 9 a.m. local start. As annoying as the NBC pantheon is, it's perfectly defensible from a programming standpoint.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know what MIGHTY is saying here, because I remember in the 2010-11 season, both the Bruins at Lightning games that season ended up on NBCSN Versus. In both cases, Rick Peckham (Lightning PbP) and Andy Brickley (Bruins CC) were the commentators for the game. It was logical in the sense that it allowed a voice from each team (and, thus, people who were very familiar with at least one of the teams) to be on the broadcast and both Peckham and Brickley have done work with the network before.

In those instances, though, those games weren't in a travel vacuum. The Lightning broadcasters would have been in the NE, calling that game vs the Bruins or not, and Jack and Brick would have been in Florida even if they didn't call the game in Tampa. LA went from LA to San Jose to Phoenix. If they had carried on to say Vancouver or somewhere else distant tonight, I could see the rationale of the split team.

Also, (and you touched on this) Randy and Drew and the rest of the production crew in SJ are already part of and familiar with an NBC broadcast as they pretty much do one every night as part of the CSNBA crew. Have either of the Kings commentating crew done a game for NBC before or would their employer (are they Kings or Fox employees? I don't know) even free them up to do so?

I don't think there's a conspiracy here, not that anyone is suggesting there is. It just boils down to being cheap and available.

(I mean, try as he might, that was clearly a Sharks homer call from Hahn with the near-muted "score" call on the game's only goal from Los Angeles)

He tried to salvage it a bit after but he was the SJ broadcaster on that call, for sure.

Gord Miller did a Sabres-Jets game for NBCSN once. I remember because it was Winnipeg's first national telecast in the U.S., and teehee, yet another Canadian named "Gord"!

Last year NBCSN sent Randy and Drew down south for a Kings/Detroit game. I think Detroit was up in San José the next night, also.

Let's hope they don't do the same thing for the eventual first round series this year, not that Forslund's "NIEMI/QUICK SAYS NO," "AND THEY SCORE!" last year were any better.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Because we're kinda tired of being treated like second class citizens by the NHL and its broadcast partners. Sure, they finally graciously allowed some Pacific teams to grace their airwaves, but they didn't send one of their true national teams out.

Hell, when I watched the recording the next day, I thought NBCSN half-assed the Dodger Stadium game also and cut corners in ways that they didn't with the Yankee Stadium game the next morning.

I understand NBC has to maintain a bottom-line, but that shouldn't get in the way of equal coverage.

If you ain't O6, you aren't nothing apparently.

The Flyers, Capitals, and Penguins are Original Six teams? Who knew?

With how often they get the national exposure, we might as well just annex Pittsburgh and Washington. The Flyers are there sporadically, like the Devils and Sabres, but I don't think you'd see enough of them on the ticket if you look back at the past three years. I presume they might be more balanced than I think, but not that much.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

So the Kings return from their disastrous Grammy trip winning only twice from it, and have to take on both Pittsburgh and Chicago before the Olympic break?

Yep, the Kings are who everybody thought they were, and it had to come out now.

Also, (and you touched on this) Randy and Drew and the rest of the production crew in SJ are already part of and familiar with an NBC broadcast as they pretty much do one every night as part of the CSNBA crew. Have either of the Kings commentating crew done a game for NBC before or would their employer (are they Kings or Fox employees? I don't know) even free them up to do so?

I don't think they've ever done a national TV broadcast because of their regional-affiliate tie-ins. They've been employees of the FOX Sports network since the mid-1990s when News Corp. bought out the media rights from the original Prime Ticket's parent company (Liberty Media). I'm assuming they're barred from announcing games on a national basis, due to possible issues arising from FOX employees going in favor of rival networks (ABC/ESPN back then, NBC now).

Those issues are a reason why DirecTV tiered NBCSN into the 2nd-to-most-expensive package they offer. DirecTV is in alliance with FOX Sports, which contrasts with NBC's allied cable company, Comcast. For their customers (like me), it's either upgrade to a more expensive tier, bootleg a game, or hope that the channel can be purchased separately on its own (but prepare to fork over an additional $8-10 on the bill, as I saw DirecTV do to the new Lakers and Dodgers TWC channels).

Hence, there's a reason why you'd likely see Sharks announcers doing national games, because those Sharks announcers work for Comcast, a direct ally of the NBC Sports family.

So the Flames quickly transitioned from being a team that loses 2-0 with aplomb to playing these 4-4 games. I'm enjoying this, and it's remarkable how a Flames game being on TSN takes away some of the sting from the fact that the Flames are an awful hockey team.

Some guys have come alive of late. Mark Giordano has been amazing all year, TJ Brodie is going to be a tremendous player for years to come, and Mikael Backlund is showing some of his first round talent.

They shouldn't be winning these games, seeing as Edmonton might actually start. But I'll take winning a season series over Chicago, with this team any day.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

So Michalek, Anderson, AND Da Costa all had good games on the same night? This whole week is just not going Columbus' way isn't it?

Not exactly. They outplayed Buffalo Saturday night and beat the Sabres everywhere except the scoreboard (giving up two SH goals didn't help.) Last night, they're pitching a shut out against the Hurricanes for the first 52 minutes of the game. By minute 55, they're down 3-2 and that was that. Tonight may have been the most frustrating of the three. The Jackets never looked good tonight. Even when they tied it up in the 3rd, it just felt like they were prolonging the inevitable - and they were. Hopefully, they can right the ship against the Caps Thursday night.

BB52Big.jpg

I'm assuming they're barred from announcing games on a national basis, due to possible issues arising from FOX employees going in favor of rival networks (ABC/ESPN back then, NBC now).

Daryl Reaugh, John Forslund, and Joe Micheletti all work for NBC Sports along with Fox-owned RSNs.

Oh and the Blackhawks are garbage and will lose in the first round. They're just not trying this year.

Archived