2013-14 NHL Season: "We Are North American Scum"

Funky Bunky

I would guess it's going to be the Bruins as the road team for the Washington Winter Classic. They owe a road game for having hosted, and the Flyers aren't really worthy of a national showcase in their current "Giroux and some cavemen" form. I just hope they have it at RFK instead of Nationals Park so people can see the game when they go there.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and let's just pull ourselves out of this little tailspin right here.

Nice win boys. Way more fun than losing.

Ovechkin was -5 by the way. Yikes.

Sidenote: That's the second time the Capitals have worn their white throwbacks in Columbus this season. What gives?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Remember that time in the 2012 Final when he stroked out trying to say, like, "hit the shot off the pipe!" and it just came out as like "brawk bawk bawk"?

skip ahead to 2:20

Sharp on the wing, elberly erp derp derr uh uh

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

San Jose cannot be liking Alberta right about now.

Flames are playing some tremendous hockey, makes me smile.

The Sharks are in a funk. Haven't scored in 8 periods. So hopefully that means Pavelski gets a goal or two. However the way they are playing is so inconsistent from shift to shift that doesn't seem likely they will score at all. Again, the biggest thing hindering the Sharks is 1) soft passes in their own zone (hmm, why does that sound familiar?) 2) puck watching.

Time for Thornton to shoot more... Third period time.

GO SHARKS!!

09:32 LAK PPG - Anze Kopitar (16) Slapshot - ASST: Drew Doughty (21), Slava Voynov (18)
10:05 LAK Jarret Stoll Hooking - 2 min against Evgeni Malkin
10:05 LAK Dustin Brown Slashing - 2 min against Evgeni Malkin
10:50 PIT PPG - Chris Kunitz (27) Snap shot - ASST: NONE

11:47 PIT PPG - Jussi Jokinen (16) Wrist shot - ASST: Evgeni Malkin (38), Matt Niskanen (24)

Sisyphus.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Road games in the NHL are such an unsuspecting bitch. It's shocking, although it shouldn't be too shocking, that a team of San Jose's caliber can drop back-to-back games against teams of Edmonton's and Calgary's caliber in their buildings. Granted, the game last night was of the most incredible flukishness, but goaltending can do that in the NHL.

spacer.png

So did you get nervous when the Caps scored to make it 4-2? I know I did. Anyway, it was nice to get back in the win column. Hopefully, they can get another one Saturday against Florida before they head to the break with three pretty tough road games.

BB52Big.jpg

Ducks beat the Flyers 5-3.

Ryan Getzlaf sets a career high in goals with his 26th of the year.

And his second career regular season Gordie Howe Hat Trick! (He had another in the playoffs against San Jose, when he fought Joe Thornton off the opening face-off in that glorious clincher in Game 5)

Nothing to be said that hasn't been said before. Solid goaltending from Andersen again, contributions from all lines, power play still sucks, win in different ways, etc. I think with what Philly brought tonight and what the Ducks showed in the two LA games last week, despite the speed and skill, they are still a very physical team and can match and overcome hits with the best of them.

---

And is Anze Kopitar really the only King capable of putting a puck in the net right now? Holy cow. As much as I enjoy seeing LA slip further and further down the standings from the Ducks, it's almost getting to be sad. I almost feel bad for them... almost.

(...nah ;) )

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

So did you get nervous when the Caps scored to make it 4-2? I know I did. Anyway, it was nice to get back in the win column. Hopefully, they can get another one Saturday against Florida before they head to the break with three pretty tough road games.

With the way they've collapsed in recent games when tied or holding the lead I was absolutely nervous. Washington scored with about 16 minutes left in the third period so it was a totally blowable lead.

The thing I like about this team is that they have real NHL depth. They have four lines that belong in the NHL. In years past they've barely had two. Derek Mackenzie, a carerer 4th line grinder, has four goals in his last five games and deked Holtby out of his pads on his shorthanded breakaway. I didn't know he had that ability.

Back in the third place and that 3 game skid didn't do too much damage. They need to take care of business against Florida because the California road trip right before the Olympics is going to be tough. I'd be happy just to get 3 out of 6 points in Anaheim, LA, and SJ.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Dallas is making a pitch now for an outdoor game at AT&T Stadium

That has me thinking, what is the outdoor game schedule going to look like for the next few years? Here are my projections:

2014-15

Winter Classic: Washington vs. New Jersey or possibly Boston- Nationals Park

Stadium Series: Phoenix vs. San Jose- Chase Field

2015-16

Winter Classic: Minnesota vs. St. Louis- Target Field

Heritage Classic: Winnipeg vs. Edmonton- Investors Group Field

Stadium Series: Dallas vs. Los Angeles- AT&T Stadium

2016-17

Winter Classic: Philadelphia vs. Pittsburgh- Beaver Stadium, Penn State

Stadium Series: Florida vs. Tampa Bay- Marlins Park

2017-18

Winter Classic: Colorado vs. Detroit- Coors Field

Heritage Classic: Toronto vs. Montreal- BMO Field

Beaver Stadium would be a perfect place for a Winter Classic, but there is nothing in State College. They don't have enough hotels and parking to host the game. People going to PSU games park in the grass throughout the area and doing that in the middle of winter can be a problem.

penguins_zps734de66d.png
ChampsSig_zps8e0a9d75.png

Archived