2013-14 NHL Season: "We Are North American Scum"

Funky Bunky

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I'm looking at the standings and the Kings are at 66 points with the #3 seed in the Pacific. Vancouver and Phoenix have 63 and 62 points respectively, but the Canucks have played one game less and the Coyotes three games less than LA at this point. On top of that, Minnesota has 65 points, meaning that if they continue their winning ways, then only two of the three Pacific teams (LA, VAN, PHX) will get into the postseason.

Yep, the Kings have officially picked the worst time to go into a goose-maverick tailspin. This, two months after they were within striking distance of the Ducks (though they have been slumping, too).

I don't think you have to worry too much about the Canucks causing you problems this year.

Fortunately for you, the Sharks offense has decided to emulate the LA Kings.

It seems like it's become a California-wide thing at this point.

Pretty much.

Though I'd take a 2-1 victory any day over a high scoring loss. Captain Obvious, I know. :)

Stamkos was probably too young for the 2010 team, but that felt like a snub at the time. Now it'll be almost 10 years into his career before he plays in an Olympics barring any other injuries, decline in play, or death in the next four years.

It's official, St. Louis is going to replace Stamkos in Sochi.

Fantastic. Martin St. Louis has long been one of my favorite players. Hopefully he doesn't get injured in one of the last two games before the break. I might cry if that happens.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Stamkos was probably too young for the 2010 team, but that felt like a snub at the time. Now it'll be almost 10 years into his career before he plays in an Olympics barring any other injuries, decline in play, or death in the next four years.

But was it really? He was only 19 at the time of those Olympics and had played 1.5 seasons in the NHL. Per Olympic-hopeful standards, his rookie year numbers really didn't measure up; he only had two games that I really remember all that well (a two-goal game in Buffalo and a hat trick against the 'Hawks). Yes, he scored 51 goals and split the Richard Trophy with Crosby the next season, but I don't really think that, when you're talking about a country that's never going to be hurting for talent, that Stammer was snubbed that year.

At least this allowed the wrong to be righted with regard to St. Louis, though. Freak of nature that he is, I'm not expecting him to still be playing at a Canadian Olympic standard when he's 42 years old (though it wouldn't shock me if he actually is playing at 42; Jagr seems to be doing it just fine). This was his last chance. Glad he got in.

spacer.png

Well just got back from my drive up to Chicago last night where the Ducks dropped a tough roadie to the Hawks... hmm? I was in Anaheim? That was a home loss? Could've fooled me.

I know it comes with the territory of living in a desirable destination in having transplants, but having these Eastern/Central fans flood the building for the one game their team is in town is depressing/disgusting. I will almost guarantee there were more Blackhawk fans than Ducks fans last night, at the very least 50/50. I mean there were a lot of Bruin/Red Wing/Flyer fans earlier this season, but the amount of Hawks fans last night was absurd. There's also no way that many get in unless the season ticket holders are selling their tickets to make a quick buck. I don't blame them, I guess, when you can sell your tickets for two/three times face value for some of these teams, but for god's sake, have some team pride and keep your ticket. That's what really pisses me off about that. Especially in a big game for NHL/West lead stakes. If the Ducks were bad, I'd understand, but that was embarrassing.

As far as the game itself, I thought the Ducks played fine. Better than the last few games. They were forcing it a bit and regressed to being far too cute on the power play, but they played a fine game against a great team. Hiller played well. Crawford played well. The difference were two turnovers that led directly to two perfect shots by Hossa and Toews. Not much to do there.

Hopefully they can end the pre-Olympic schedule with a win in Nashville, but that break can't come soon enough for this group. Perfect time for a couple weeks off for a regroup and a clean slate to push it down the stretch.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

So at the break, it goes; Ducks - Hawks - Pens - Blues - Sharks - Avs - Bruins - Lightning. Tampa? Really? Eighth best in the league? When in the hell did that happen?

By the way Still Mighty, isn't it awesome what winning does for a fanbase? I mean, all those loyal fans, who of course were always there all along, can finally enjoy a winning team. Isn't that just precious?

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

having these Eastern/Central fans flood the building for the one game their team is in town is depressing/disgusting.

I miss having at least two and two with the rest of the conference.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived