2013-14 NHL Season: "We Are North American Scum"

Funky Bunky

So he missed two games in the playoffs? He still was the major reason they won a cup that year.

Though still adamant that if Roloson didn't get hurt, Oilers would have been cup champs.

Hedley's saying that Ward wasn't the reason they made the playoffs that year; he just got hot in the playoffs. He played in 28 regular season games that year and had 3.68 GAA, .882 save pct.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cam Ward has only led the Hurricanes to one playoffs appearance....and it wasn't the year Carolina won the Cup. Dude's been riding that Conn Smythe for nearly a decade......

Two.

2006 and 2009. 2006 Cup. 2009 East Finals, two seven-game upsets of #3 New Jersey and #1 Boston before being swept by the Penguins.

And I wouldn't put that all on Ward. I'd give Eric Staal a similar reputation.

2006 wasn't Ward's doing. Martin Gerber was the one doing the heavy lifting for the Hurricanes.

Ward didn't even start until Game 3 of the Hurricanes' opening series against Montreal.

Ah yes. How could I forget former Mighty Ducks standout backup Martin Gerber?

But my point still stands, I don't think the blame is all on Ward there. Have the Hurricanes really been any good since that 2006 Cup? In the seven seasons since, they've only made the playoffs the one time, came in 9th and two points out twice, finished 11th twice (5 points out the year after the Cup, 8 points out in 2010), 12th, and 13th. Ward has a career .910 SV% and 2.77 GAA and five 30 win seasons in the five seasons he's played at least 60 games. Now the numbers aren't mind blowing or even Conn Smythe and he's had some injury issues, but the Hurricanes as a whole haven't been great either.

I'd point fingers at Eric Staal first, at least as far as on ice performance. (He's only had 76+ points twice. 100 in 05-06 as a -8, 82 in 07-08 as a -2. That's an elite power center? No.) Ward is probably second on that list, though. I can't think of anyone else that's been there that whole time either.

But I think Jim Rutherford's gotta go. Talk about living off the one Cup (Hell, looking into it, I don't know how he even survived until the Cup). Since he took over in 1994 (18 seasons, 14 in the usually dismal Southeast), Hartford/Carolina has only made the playoffs five times, won the division three times, and currently sit 7 points out with five teams to jump. Not looking good this year. And this was a team that looked like they were going to really start going for it when they traded for Jordan Staal.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Remember where Carolina is. Not exactly a hockey hotbed, so he can operate and be cozy with his job security. Kinda like Nashville, how they've had the same GM and coach since their beginning.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

To Minnesota: G, Ilya Bryzgalov

To Edmonton: 2014 4th Round pick

Which is interesting because the NY Daily News was reporting that the Devils had agreed to a Martin Brodeur trade with Minnesota that would go through after Brodeur makes a final start tonight. The Minneapolis Star Tribune reported that the Wild denied that, so who knows.

Literally everyone in Chicago keeps asking us specifically about Sidney Crosby and they pretty much all use the opportunity to tell me they hate him. Like I know people don't like the guy, but come on there's 19 other guys on the roster.

bAwmeM2.gif

Yeahhhh responses like that are far more annoying.

oBIgzrL.png

Speaking of the trade deadline, I'm getting some really strong flashbacks to a deal the Lightning made with their expansion brothers with Cory Conacher going to Ottawa for Ben Bishop.

I know how the Bishop story has unfolded since then; I'd love to know how the story of Conacher in Ottawa has unfolded since then...

spacer.png

To Minnesota: G, Ilya Bryzgalov

To Edmonton: 2014 4th Round pick

Interesting that the Oilers are leaving a goalie space open. A rumour I've seen has the Ducks trading Hiller to Edmonton. Whether that actually happens remains to be seen, but either way it looks like the Oilers are preparing to trade for a goalie.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

WOAH. Flurry of Ducks moves:

To Washington: LW, Dustin Penner

To Anaheim: 4th Round pick

What!?!? Penner is having his best season in YEARS (32 points and +22 in 49 games, compared to 37 points and -9 in 117 games with the Kings). Playing with Getzlaf/Perry seemed to have righted his ship. Yeah he can play lazy from time to time, but it's been a lot less so this year than at any point in LA or Edmonton. I don't like this deal. (Unless it's just clearing space and money for the deal at the bottom.)

---

To Anaheim: D, Stephane Robidas

To Dallas: Capitals 4th Round pick

The pick from the Penner deal gets immediately flipped for Robidas. He's the type of d-man the Ducks needed. The problem is, he isn't healthy yet. He'll supposedly be ready by the end of the month, but eh. It's also interesting because Robidas has an interesting history against the Ducks, and specifically Corey Perry. Hopefully the fences mend quick when Robidas is ready. I'm looking forward to him playing. (If he even does, look below)

---

To Edmonton: Viktor Fasth

To Anaheim: 2014 5th Round pick, 2015 3rd Round pick

With how well Frederik Andersen and Jonas Hiller have been playing, I think the writing was on the wall. The Ducks have to resign Hiller to a bigger deal. Andersen had already signed an extension for relatively cheap, and had now more than proven to be NHL caliber. Fasth has one NHL year under his belt and already a decently costly contract. Coming off his injury, you don't know what's going to happen. Trade him while his stock could be at its highest. 3rd/5th is a nice return, and probably less than what he could have gotten pre-injury. A goalie was going to move, and he did. I'm fine with that.

---

The reports swirling are that the Ducks are trying to make room to trade for Thomas Vanek. Maybe Robidas gets turned around in a Vanek deal, but idk. I'm on the fence. Vanek would definitely solidify the 2nd line. Teemu's line has been juggled around all year without consistent production. The 3rd line and Nick Bonino have helped out below them, but that was a hole. Vanek would fill that hole. But I don't know what we'd have to give up from the young forwards for someone that could end up as just a rental. However, Bob Murray has gone on record as saying he's not interested in a rental, so who knows? It's interesting.

Lots of time to go and rumors going around.

The reports swirling are that the Ducks are trying to make room to trade for Thomas Vanek. Maybe Robidas gets turned around in a Vanek deal, but idk. I'm on the fence. Vanek would definitely solidify the 2nd line. Teemu's line has been juggled around all year without consistent production. The 3rd line and Nick Bonino have helped out below them, but that was a hole. Vanek would fill that hole. But I don't know what we'd have to give up from the young forwards for someone that could end up as just a rental. However, Bob Murray has gone on record as saying he's not interested in a rental, so who knows? It's interesting.

I saw a post on Reddit (take that as you will) saying that the Isles are rumored to want one of Etem or Vatanen, but not both.

IEI5Tg1.png

Speaking of the trade deadline, I'm getting some really strong flashbacks to a deal the Lightning made with their expansion brothers with Cory Conacher going to Ottawa for Ben Bishop.

I know how the Bishop story has unfolded since then; I'd love to know how the story of Conacher in Ottawa has unfolded since then...

He's just been put on waivers, if that answers your question.

No they don't. Vancouver kept part of Luongo's salary to make that deal.

I'm sure Gillis is on the phone with Florida right now working on a deal for Kesler seeing as how no other team will seemingly make a deal with him.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

No they don't. Vancouver kept part of Luongo's salary to make that deal.

As it turns out, that's not even the part that's particularly important. I was under some misunderstanding about how recapture penalties come into affect; Vancouver still gets screwed if/when Luongo retires before the contract ends. Weird. I recant much of my initial skepticism about Florida here.

spacer.png

Archived