2013-14 NHL Season: "We Are North American Scum"

Funky Bunky

I understand the Hawks are build very well and have a decent shot to repeat, but man, you'd think people were already ready to just give them the damn thing by some of the sentiment out there. At least I got one thing to look forward to for sure: more blueballing from the Bay Area. Hooray for consistency!

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, but that happens every year. When you go months without seeing most teams and get too caught up in capgeek charts, you get into a cognitive rut of "well there's no one else who could possibly do what that team did," except someone does it every year. The Kings were penciled in for the next five championships after they won, much to the surprise of the people who had just penciled in the Bruins to never not win the Stanley Cup again. The 2010 Hawks were exempt, having had to trade everyone.

The Hawks will benefit immensely from playing so many terrible teams, but with a power play that didn't get better and a penalty kill that got worse, there's nothing to guarantee. St. Louis and Los Angeles can certainly beat them in a series, as could any number of elite East teams. Or they could very well get caught in the quicksand against Phoenix or Nashville, as we know they're capable of doing. Hybrid icing would seem to punish teams that rely on their speed, and the league has given up on calling obstruction fouls again.

Honestly, I'm looking at this year the way I looked at 2011-2012: play well enough to keep the buzz high, log some flight miles for your best prospects (though strangely, two of them didn't make the team out of training camp), and once the cap goes up, load up big and get serious about winning one more time.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Hybrid icing? REALLY?

Yes, that'll win non-fans over, require more rules to explain. I mean yeah, hybrid icing is easy to pick up if you know the game, but your average sports fan who the NHL is trying to win over isn't even sure if he knows what regular icing is all about. Now you want to make it even more complicated?

Plus it puts more of an emphasis on split-second judgement calls, which is never works out well for anyone.

EDIT-

I'm not ready to crown the 'Hawks champs. Not that I think they're bad, they're a very good team. It's just that the NHL playoffs are a crapshoot and them loosing in the first round to, I donno, Nashville still seems possible.

When did the NHL have no-touch icing to go back to? I thought it was always touch-up.

And I echo what IceCap said, mostly because I think he's already echoing the things I've said: this makes the rule even harder to explain than it already is (and it shouldn't even be that hard in the first place; people just word it clumsily) and it puts the game even more in the hands of the short bus that is NHL officiating. I'll reiterate that the concern about player safety is way overblown. While there have been a few gruesome injuries from chasing down the puck, there are much worse things happening much more often in situations that are much less addressed, and at the end of the day, doesn't this just mean some guy will still risk getting his leg crushed, just farther from the goal line?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1381443_622586177788142_30442950_n.jpg

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Panthers sign Ryan Whitney, Tom Gilbert, Brad Boyes, and trade for Krys Barch. God, this is like the Miami Heat all over again.

How can you forget their biggest signing: Scott Gomez. He even scored in the first game!

Panthers sign Ryan Whitney, Tom Gilbert, Brad Boyes, and trade for Krys Barch. God, this is like the Miami Heat all over again.

How can you forget their biggest signing: Scott Gomez. He even scored in the first game!

Holy crap. These Panthers are legit. Members of the Not-So-Atlantic division, be afraid.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Archived