2013-14 NHL Season: "We Are North American Scum"

Funky Bunky

http://www.hockeystandings.info does a similar thing with various alternative methods, including an exotic five-point system that reads thus:

Regulation Wins: 5

OT Wins: 4

SO Wins: 3

SO Losses: 2

OT Losses: 1

Regulation Losses: 0

oh my god shut up

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to have some kind of exotic ideology several years back that mainly differed in that, if a game went to a shootout, the home team has the option of going for two points and the win, but conceded the right to a loser point. Otherwise, the game ended in a tie. If nothing else, it mitigated the number of three-point decisions that would come into play and would also force the play in OT to be a bit more out there because, hey, might as well lose in OT if you're going to lose and still get a point. Kind of. Whatever.

When I played a full NHL 2004 season in the Elitserien in a 3-2-1-0 system, my whole belief changed. It was disappointing when I went to OT against the worst team in the league and had to settle for two points instead of three, but that's how it's supposed to feel in such circumstances. I also can't get past the part that every single game holds the same point value; having some games end as two-point decisions and others as three-point decisions, with the latter seeing increasing frequency later in the season, is supremely idiotic. Detroit is literally standing equal with the Jackets in the standings right now because their loser point value is equal to four "wins" extra than the Jackets loser point value; why am I writing that sentence?

--

I've written this in a few other places lately and might as well spill it all out here too. Regarding OT and points standings systems, here's what would be ideal from my POV

1) 3-2-1-0

2) long change in OT

3) four-on-four for five minutes or until first whistle after 5:00

4) three-on-three for the remaining ~5 minutes of OT

then shootout; if a game gets to a shootout after all of that, then both teams really had to suck during the OT. And no points deduction is necessary since the ROW system penalizes shootout wins anyway.

--

fwiw, 1983-1999 with two points to the winner and none to the loser also works, but only if you eschew the shootout and go back to ties. I have no real clue why the NHL found it necessary to award loser points and create that ridiculous W-L-T-OTL format.

spacer.png

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I see Cherry's point, though. Take the Blackhawks, who just signed JVR's brother and a guy named Matt Carey, plus a guy named Drew LeBlanc last year. Here's something from a Blackhawks blog that kind of lays out what some people might find unfair about signing college free agents before July:

In effort to outbid several other NHL clubs for LeBlanc coming out of college, Stan Bowman gave LeBlanc a short NHL stint coming out of St. Cloud University’s exit from the NCAA tournament. Then Stan used his influence to secure a spot for LeBlanc on the Team USA roster at the IIHF World Championship’s since LeBlanc’s late signing prevented him from qualifying for either the NHL or AHL postseason.

Now, the Hawks have done something similar with Carey, a prospect a handful of teams were hoping after Carey declared he was leaving college after one season on the ice there.

You can make a reasonable argument that college free agency should have a level playing field, not so much for the benefit of your dues-paying farmhands so much as for teams in the league whose general managers don't have the connections to offer under-the-table perks like Bowman sneaking LeBlanc onto Team USA. Maybe there should be a freeze on signing college free agents before July 1st. (Coming to terms with players whose rights you hold would still be okay.)

Ehh, I have no problem with bidding wars. Franchises are never on an equal footing in the competition for veteran free agents, so why should we change it for college hands?

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Because 22 or 23-year-olds with no professional experience are closer in spirit to draftees, where there is something resembling equal footing, than to veteran free agents with 7+ years of service time. It's something the league will have to talk about as college hockey gets bigger. Remember, when the NHL finds a loophole, it closes it, then makes two new loopholes.

Because 22 or 23-year-olds with no professional experience are closer in spirit to draftees, where there is something resembling equal footing, than to veteran free agents with 7+ years of service time. It's something the league will have to talk about as college hockey gets bigger. Remember, when the NHL finds a loophole, it closes it, then makes two new loopholes.

Yeah, but the NHL teams could have drafted those players while they were in college at no cost to their eligibility. Remember, you have the rights to a player until 30 days after they have left college.

Today, we are all otaku.

I have no real clue why the NHL found it necessary to award loser points and create that ridiculous W-L-T-OTL format.

They didn't like how teams would play it safe in OT to get a point for a tie, so they started awarding points for an OTL to make OT more exciting (since you would then have nothing to gain by playing it safe and killing time in OT). Then of course, ties were abolished, and now the loser point has caused that very thing to happen - teams playing it safe at the end of regulation to get a loser point.

Seriously, "At least we got a point" is my absolute least favourite thing to say as a sports fan.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Wait, hold on... I missed the Hurricanes bashing and nobody else mentioned in the year where Roloson got hurt in the Cup finals the year they won, they also beat the Sabres in game 7 of the ECF while the Sabres were missing four of their top six defensemen. That is all.

Roloson got hurt and Ty Conklin went Conkderp at the worst possible moment. I'd say that I wish the 2005-06 season never happened, but given that I barely watched any hockey post-lockout until around January 2007, it basically did never happen as far as I care.

oh, and the 'Canes won a game where this happened (go to ~22:15).

what the hell was Carolina's deal with scoring back-breaking last second goals against New Jersey?

spacer.png

I hate the current point system as it makes no sense. I hate the 3-2-1-0 point system also. I wish people would just get intelligent and do wins and loses. Once they went to the shootout to get winners, then you don't need a point system at all. It's just wins and loses and for a casual fan, it makes 100% sense. I'm not a casual fan, but I can't even begin to explain, let alone understand the standing, I just trust what it says on NHL.com as far as who has however many points.

If I was running the NHL we'd go to straight wins and losses, ten minute overtime with long change, and ROW would be the first tiebreaker.

So there'd be fewer shootouts, there'd be no single point safety net so the teams wouldn't feel the need to play conservatively near the end of a tie game to insure a standings point, and even after all that if the game went to a shootout it's still sort of worth less than a full win.

I was watching Rangers-Flyers last night rooting for the game not to go to overtime. I shouldn't have to do that. Imagine watching a major league game between two other rivals and just hoping it doesn't go to extra innings. Sounds ridiculous in that context.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Don't care about records or rankings. The Thrashers are the worst team in the league right now. They have been stinking up the joint since the All-Star break & there's no signs of things improving. Can't score for :censored: (they've been getting tons of shots, but it literally takes a miracle for it to get past whoever's in net), every mistake they make on defense results in a goal, they don't get any of those lucky bounces, & just fold under adversity for the most part. It's like fan repellent.

After the performances they had before the All-Star break, they really had me going when it came to hopes of the playoffs. Then the failboat anchored in Blueland once more, & it's been a wrap ever since.

I just have to ask, "How's that new Captain of your doing?" I said when it happened that I didn't think it amounted to a hill of beans, heck it didn't even amount to a bean, and now where's this new captain lead your team? To the crapper! Great significant move by the Thrashers. Oh and what is up with the fan base? Seriously? Hell, can we move that team to Winnipeg or Quebec. I've seen more people in a pick up game at a local arena than I saw in highlights from the Thrashers game last night. Pathetic organization and pathetic fan base.

Another A+ post from oddball! Let's analyze this gem!

1) Ladd has 23 goals, 24 assists. Leads the team in goals, assists, and points. But of course, he's the one led them into the crapper. Not the coaching or the actual crap players on the team, but the captain who's actually playing well in the midst of all this crap. Brilliant analysis, TSN should sign you.

2) The team's signed NDA's with prospective owners that are probably gonna keep the team in Atlanta, and buy the Hawks and Philips Arena as well. You totally nailed that one! The Thrashers will most definitely be in Winnipeg or Quebec, hell maybe by next week! Solid!

womp womp

If I was running the NHL we'd go to straight wins and losses, ten minute overtime with long change, and ROW would be the first tiebreaker.

So there'd be fewer shootouts, there'd be no single point safety net so the teams wouldn't feel the need to play conservatively near the end of a tie game to insure a standings point, and even after all that if the game went to a shootout it's still sort of worth less than a full win.

I was watching Rangers-Flyers last night rooting for the game not to go to overtime. I shouldn't have to do that. Imagine watching a major league game between two other rivals and just hoping it doesn't go to extra innings. Sounds ridiculous in that context.

In the same spirit, I have been rooting for a lot of 3 point games recently.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

The NHL needs to get rid of this stupid points system. A loss is a loss. Why should a team be awarded a point for losing in Overtime? You would see a lot more teams busting their asses off in the 3rd Period to get the game over with.

I'm not downing my local team, but the Cyclones just recently went on a week-long losing streak. Yet, in every game they lost, they went to overtime. Instead of going deep into the standings, they actually gained a spot.

When these guys become professionals, shouldn't the, "Hey we lost, lets take the team out for pizza" days be over?

Won-lost, wins before shootout as the tiebreaker, five-round shootout only coming after ten minutes with long change. But I've said all this a hundred times before.

Archived