2013-14 NHL Season: "We Are North American Scum"

Funky Bunky

The Blues, already playing horrible, horrible hockey, will now be without Tarasenko, Backes, Oshie, Morrow, Roy, Sobotka, and maybe an unnamed defenseman, because this franchise has had so many lucky breaks in its history that it was due for something to go wrong.

I suppose this is what happens when you don't play according to admiral's Blackhawk Way.

:upside:

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's weird that this years Ducks will be the best ever in their history. The 2007 edition would pound them IMO.

That '07 team would've had a better record if Giguere and Pronger played the whole year. Giguere missed over a month, and Bryz struggled a bit during that stretch.

That Western Conference in 2007 was basically an arms race between them and Detroit. Who else was a contender from the West other than the Wings and Ducks that year?

Yes, the Ducks winged (NPI) those last couple of games, but with that lineup namely and statistically stacked, it made for a much more memorable playoff run. I'll always say that Game 5 of the West Finals is still, to this day, the most important game in Anaheim history (and they nearly gagged that aura away in Game 6).

It's weird that this years Ducks will be the best ever in their history. The 2007 edition would pound them IMO.

That '07 team would've had a better record if Giguere and Pronger played the whole year. Giguere missed over a month, and Bryz struggled a bit during that stretch.

That Western Conference in 2007 was basically an arms race between them and Detroit. Who else was a contender from the West other than the Wings and Ducks that year?

This makes me upset to this day, but the Sharks were up 2-1 and had a 2-0 lead in Game 4 against the Wings in the 2nd round. The Sharks could only muster 9 goals in 6 games against IMO, a very beatable Wing defense(besides Lidstrom who is god like, it was Matheiu Schneider, old man Chelios, Andreas Lilja, Brett Lebda, yes that Brett Lebda, and Kyle Quincey in his very first games). The Sharks would've had a tough go against Anaheim, and wouldn't have expected them to win, as Still Mighty said, that Ducks team was built for the playoffs that year, but that will go down as an embarrassing choke. Not to mention the Sharks blew a 2-0 lead in game 2 as well.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Yes, the Ducks winged (NPI) those last couple of games, but with that lineup namely and statistically stacked, it made for a much more memorable playoff run. I'll always say that Game 5 of the West Finals is still, to this day, the most important game in Anaheim history (and they nearly gagged that aura away in Game 6).

That was the game that won the Cup (neither Detroit or Anaheim was going to lose to that Ottawa team and I didn't think Detroit was going to get out of Anaheim with a win in Game 6), and hell, they almost lost it. Scott Niedermayer with a low shot that deflects up off Nick Lidstrom's stick and flutters over Hasek's glove to tie it with 47 seconds left. In OT, Lilja comes out from behind his own net, Andy MacDonald forces the turnover, Teemu gets it, forehand, backhand, water bottle.

And I don't remember Game 6 being a "near gag". They had a three-goal lead twice, and yeah Datsyuk had two PP goals in the third to cut it to 4-3 with three minutes left, but I don't remember those last three minutes as being a "near gag". (Maybe I also remember Game 5 more vividly, and maybe because we won and then the whole Cup thing, I just throw away Game 6 in memory.)

(I also maybe had to watch some old highlights of those games to get those numbers down, and maybe it made me really happy, because man, watching it again, that team was freaking perfect. top-to-bottom perfect.)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I would just really prefer Dallas win tomorrow night because, even though the Sharks will likely beat the 'Yotes on Saturday night regardless of what happens, I'd prefer that game just mean nothing before it even starts. Phoenix now has 44 losses, just get the "e" next to your name already. I (we) would rather see Seguin and Benn in the playoffs anyway instead of Shane Doan. I think one of the areas I am proudest of when it comes to CCSLC is how hockey fans here have long proven what a fraud Shane Doan is. Too much of the hockey world is still uninitiated on this matter.

y/w

Looking at capgeek, the Coyotes are in a kind of a weird sitch where everyone is either expiring this summer or immovable. Ribeiro (and WHOOPS on that one), Doan, Erat, and Menstrual Pads all have no-move clauses. Lauri Korpikoski is locked up through 2017, I don't know why. Vrbata and Greiss could be gone with nothing to show. The only guys in that sweet spot of trading away enough substantial contract time to return substantial assets are Hanzal (3 years), Yandle (2), and Vermette (1). But on top of that, Maloney doesn't like to trade away players, and ownership/management is probably too scared to do a full-fledged Sabres/Flames teardown because wah-wah our fragile market can't handle it. YEAH, WE KNOW. So basically they have to do this "see if we make it in and anything can happen" half-ass thing in perpetuity.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Lightning hold the cards for home ice vs. Montreal after defeating the Jackets tonight.

The bad news? The final game of the season is in D.C., where Tampa Bay has lost their last seven meetings, three of which were OT/SO decisions that ended as 6-5 Washington victories. It's a snakebitten facility for the team, and the Capitals, while eliminated, are playing well in this final week of the season. I'm really hoping it doesn't come down to that game for Tampa Bay to nab home ice from the Habs, therefore, go Rangers! The Lightning have done them a couple solids over the years in their playoff pursuits so a little returning of the favor would be well appreciated on this end.

spacer.png

Stars win 3-0, Coyotes are out, and St. Louis is falling apart. The Blues have also lost a number of games!

In the Blues 5 game losing streak, which was kickstarted by a loss to the Avalanche, 4-0, you're welcome; St Louis has been outscored 19-5. This does not bode well for the Blues entering the playoffs; I bet the Blackhawks are licking their chops at being able to play St Louis instead of Colorado now.

Also booooo to having to play the Penguins but hey you never know.

It's high risk/high reward. Could you imagine what would happen to that Penguins bandwagon fanbase in Ohio if the Jackets won that series?

I bet the Blackhawks are licking their chops at being able to play St Louis instead of Colorado now.

I'm happy about maybe not seeing Varlamov and his .960 sv% against the Hawks. I am not happy about throwing Toews and Kane to the wolves, by which I mean the Chicago Wolves who are all being called up to fill in for all the missing St. Louis personnel. The Blues might see that it's all over and go from playing to win to playing to hurt. The Blues were the ones who ended Kane's season in the first place. They're perfectly capable of just spazzing out and making any victory a pyrrhic one.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm sensing another 2012 postseason, where everything that can go wrong does.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Also booooo to having to play the Penguins but hey you never know.

It's high risk/high reward. Could you imagine what would happen to that Penguins bandwagon fanbase in Ohio if the Jackets won that series?

not even sure it's such a high risk thing, either. Pittsburgh went 5-0 against Columbus this season. The Jackets, great story and everything, won't be anyone's pick to win this series. If they lose then, whatever, the expectation was met. If the Jackets win? HAHAHA.

Yeah, sorry about that game tonight Mac but this game mattered for the Lightning as well and you guys had already pulled the other two meetings over the Bolts this year as it was.

spacer.png

The Avs inexplicably start Berra, and the Sharks take advantage for win #50 on the year with the hat trick from the one who is made of glass. The Blues still have a shot at the division.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Archived