2013-14 NHL Season: "We Are North American Scum"

Funky Bunky

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So who does everyone have for fired coaches? I count Muller, Horachek, Tortorella, Oatox, Eakins, Capuano, Carlyle, Trotz, and DeBoer. This could be an NFL-style bloodbath.

By the way, if you haven't yet, read the WaPo's piece on what a disaster the Capitals organization has become. The extent to which Adam Oates is an anal-retentive creep is just off the charts, and that's not even accounting for the fact that he had bad work done to make himself look like Ray Liotta.

"I never played D but I know D, so I know goaltending," Oates said.

WHAT THE :censored:?!? That's like me saying that I never took trigonometry, but I know of it, ergo, I know calculus. What an idiot!

Then there's George McPhee not letting agents talk to players. That's always healthy.

Some longtime NHL observers will tell you that Adam Oates knows D very, very well, though not in any fashion germane to the prevention of goals against.

he wants the D.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

So who does everyone have for fired coaches? I count Muller, Horachek, Tortorella, Oatox, Eakins, Capuano, Carlyle, Trotz, and DeBoer. This could be an NFL-style bloodbath.

Bylsma is getting fired if the penguins don't get to the finals. Can't underachieve for that long with that kind of talent. He's lucky he came back for this season.

That's adorable.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Red Wings defeat Blues 3-0. Avalanche are Central Division Champs and will play Minnesota. Blues will take on Blackhawks. Western Conference is set. Just waiting on the Tampa Bay/Washington game to see if the Canadiens or Bolts gets home ice advantage.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/04/12/3779607/decock-even-more-clear-now-that.html?sp=/99/103/#storylink=cpy

“I don’t know if people realize that we have a very, very good hockey team,” Karmanos said, although surely he’s aware the NHL annually keeps standings that continue to indicate otherwise.

:lol:

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Seven teams -- Edmonton, Los Angeles, New Jersey, Minnesota, Florida, Vancouver, Buffalo -- didn't score 200 goals this season. Calgary sits at 201 with a game to play, lucky them. I thought this was really bad and then I checked 2012, where there were eleven. The Dead Puck Era never died, it just took a catnap.

EDIT: one in 2010 (Boston), four in 2011, and then it gets bad.

The Sabres need three goals in the third period against the islanders to avoid tying the NHL record for fewest goals since expansion. They need 42 goals in the third period to avoid setting a new franchise low.

Seven teams -- Edmonton, Los Angeles, New Jersey, Minnesota, Florida, Vancouver, Buffalo -- didn't score 200 goals this season. Calgary sits at 201 with a game to play, lucky them. I thought this was really bad and then I checked 2012, where there were eleven. The Dead Puck Era never died, it just took a catnap.

EDIT: one in 2010 (Boston), four in 2011, and then it gets bad.

I don't know where you get your stats, but only four teams don't have 200 goals this season: Buffalo, Vancouver, Florida and New Jersey. Edmonton has 203, Minnesota has 204, and LA has 206. Calgary has scored 208 with one game left.

In 2012, there were only 2 teams below 200 goals: Minnesota (177) and LA (194).

Straight from the NHL website.

Not to say that the league is out of the Dead Puck Era, but it's not looking as bad as you make it look like.

EDIT: I guess you're not counting the SO GWG even if it shows in the standings.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Postmortems from Fox Sports Arizona:

If it hadn't been for a butt goal in Buffalo, a phantom goal in Toronto, a Thomas Greiss mishandle against Edmonton, 24 blown leads (13 in the third period), a case of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever or a Mike Smith knee injury in New York, Phoenix could have earned just a couple extra points to make that season finale against Dallas meaningful.

The Coyotes missed the playoffs, and that can't be accepted. They also got next to no production from a highly paid group of veteran forwards when it mattered most this season. There will and should be fallout from that drought.

But that doesn't mean Phoenix should clean house. And it doesn't mean the Coyotes can afford to go young and cheap in a market that only tolerates winning -- a market that still keeps that five-year out clause in the back of its mind.

"At the end of the day, the worst thing we could do as owners is try to say that we know how to fix anything that ails us," LeBlanc said. "This team is right on the verge, and the team did make significant changes in the offseason. There's no question we have to make some more changes, but it's not like we have to do a complete redo."

¶1: This is is getting into Dave Wannstedt territory. "Hey, take away those 21 points the Packers scored and the Bears win this game." Dumb things and bad injuries happen to everyone, but when you're saying "take away about 24 blown leads," a verdict of simple bad luck is a bit superficial. Have better players so that you score more and allow fewer and thus aren't late and close so often.

¶3: I think all that does make a good case for tearing down and starting over, but it's true that as soon as they stop being "competitive within the division" (royalties to Andy MacPhail on that), people will stop going. They don't even go when the team is good. So if they're such great fans, they'll understand that their team has to bottom out for a while, just like they'll understand that they have to pay for parking they could get for free. Oh wait, you mean people still use the free parking and the Coyotes are facing significant revenue shortfalls from no one electing to pay for a free product? Well!

150 goals in 82 games. Please get the #1 pick for this.

This is why I don't get the big fuss about changing the draft lottery for next year. The Sabres were flat-out awful... so awful, they were 14 points behind 29th place. Even still, they only have a 25% chance of getting the #1 pick (granted, they have a 100% chance of getting #1 or #2). But the idea that teams are going to race to the bottom for, at most, a 25% chance to pick Connor McDavid next year... I don't buy it.

Edit: And please don't pick a defenseman if you do get that #1 pick, Tim Murray.

Nice moment tonight as Teemu does part of his victory laps with Jiggy.

EDIT: According to some people on reddit, Paul Kariya was at the game in a suite with Joe Sakic. It also said that they (the Ducks, Honda Center, etc.) didn't aknowledge it or do anything for it. Maybe Still MIGHTY or anyone else can confirm or deny it.

If he was there, that's great. I personally feel that he needs to be brought back into the Ducks fold somehow, even though he and Teemu tried to do that at the end of Paul career before the doctors shut him down permanently.

IbjBaeE.png

Archived