2013-14 NHL Season: "We Are North American Scum"

Funky Bunky

Bishop totally stole that game for them. That roster past the first line is an abomination. They didn't even have a single shot on goal in the first! Hockey is dumb.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick question: Why does the NHL (or other hockey leagues) count SO/OTL losses separate? Why can't it simply be based on W-L and have the standings based on record? I've always wondered why they were the only one of the top sporting leagues (NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB) that does this

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Well, in fairness (and to partially destroy arguments I've made for years), shootout losses are not like regular losses. It's an entirely different outcome to a game, and it should be treated differently under the present system. Same with shootout wins, which is why the NHL (thankfully) added that ROW tiebreaker back for the 2010-11 season.

I prefer an entirely different system, based on systems commonly seen in European hockey leagues, but that's probably not happening.

spacer.png

Quick question: Why does the NHL (or other hockey leagues) count SO/OTL losses separate? Why can't it simply be based on W-L and have the standings based on record? I've always wondered why they were the only one of the top sporting leagues (NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB) that does this

Which answer do you want?

A STUPID PERSON'S ANSWER

It's not a "loser point." You don't get a point for losing. You get one point for a tie after 60 minutes because it is a 60-minute game. This is the way it has always been.

This is not the way it has always been.

ACTUAL ANSWER

The NHL inflates teams' records to artificially make them appear to be better they really are so that people will not stop spending money on them late in the season. 31-26-12 sounds a lot better than 31-38, and the NHL has no shame.

Blue Jackets rally from a 2-0 deficit to beat the Islanders in a shootout.

That was vintage Metro Division hockey!

Nothing says Metro Division hockey like a matchup between a third-rate professional hockey club from the New York tri-state area, and a team from central Ohio.

#OITGDNHL

The NHL inflates teams' records to artificially make them appear to be better than they really are, so that people will not stop spending money on them late in the season. 31-26-12 sounds a lot better than 31-38, and the NHL has no shame.

It's funny how every league has its own way of making sure fans will milk their money over near the end of the campaign. The NHL has their points structure, the NFL and MLB has down-to-the-wire games and the NBA has its superstars playing in arenas home of very sucky teams.

I honestly would not mind bringing back the tie.

While I abhor a 'tie' in sports (that's why I can't get in to soccer) I hate that empty feeling after the team i'm pulling for plays hard but loses in a cheesy shootout.

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

Nothing says Metro Division hockey like a matchup between a third-rate professional hockey club from the New York tri-state area, and a team from central Ohio.

#OITGDNHL

What? Nothing says metro division hockey because we don't know what that means yet.

PvO6ZWJ.png

and the NBA has its superstars playing in arenas home of very sucky teams.

I do not understand what you are trying to say. Please use English.

Since the NBA's marketing approach is mostly player-oriented, they don't mind scheduling games in March or April between teams with bona-fide superstars (Heat, Thunder, Clippers) playing at teams who've known they will hit the draft lottery in November (Kings, Bobcats, T-Wolves). The games are meaningless playoff-wise, yet they'll sell out because those arenas of sucky teams will be filled with LeBron, Durant, Kobe, Griffin and other player-centric fanboys.

Hm, I've never noticed that, but then I've never thought to look for it.

I don't want ties. I just want fewer shootouts. Play-for-the-tie coaches like Dave Tippett are to blame for this.

#OITGDNHL

What? Nothing says metro division hockey because we don't know what that means yet.
glen-metropolit-15-nhl.jpg ?

IbjBaeE.png

Cute little nugget from the Sharks game last night. Apparently they're going to have Logan Couture mic'd up (he'll get you the sports any way that he can!!), or maybe it'll revolve, but last night it was Couture. Anyway, they cut to a clip of him on the bench from some earlier point in the game, and he was yelling "LEFT! LEFT! RIGHT! LEFT!" and Drew Remenda just about crapped himself in awe as if Couture had just pulled off the sickest deke of all time. "OH MY GOD. WOW. JUST WOW. HE'S A COACH OUT THERE! HIS HEAD IS IN THE GAME! I JUST...WOW." I didn't think it was that great. He just shouted "left" a few times! I thought maybe it was sarcasm at first until I remembered it was Drew Remenda.

By the way, the gold standard in "crapping oneself in awe" is Chico Resch. He should get some national assignments for when we get Olczyked out, which by my calculation should be next Tuesday. Guy just loves the game and it shows, but at least it shows on goals and not some dude talking.

Cute little nugget from the Sharks game last night. Apparently they're going to have Logan Couture mic'd up (he'll get you the sports any way that he can!!), or maybe it'll revolve, but last night it was Couture. Anyway, they cut to a clip of him on the bench from some earlier point in the game, and he was yelling "LEFT! LEFT! RIGHT! LEFT!" and Drew Remenda just about crapped himself in awe as if Couture had just pulled off the sickest deke of all time. "OH MY GOD. WOW. JUST WOW. HE'S A COACH OUT THERE! HIS HEAD IS IN THE GAME! I JUST...WOW." I didn't think it was that great. He just shouted "left" a few times! I thought maybe it was sarcasm at first until I remembered it was Drew Remenda.

By the way, the gold standard in "crapping oneself in awe" is Chico Resch. He should get some national assignments for when we get Olczyked out, which by my calculation should be next Tuesday. Guy just loves the game and it shows, but at least it shows on goals and not some dude talking.

Your obsession with the Sharks is giving me the creeps :lol:

While I abhor a 'tie' in sports (that's why I can't get in to soccer) I hate that empty feeling after the team i'm pulling for plays hard but loses in a cheesy shootout.

The problem is that if you want to eliminate the tie from regular season hockey you need to have a shootout in there somewhere. You can't just play continuous OT periods like they do in the playoffs. You'll burn teams out to quickly. The best solution is to make the shootout a true last resort set-up. Expand the OT period to ten, or even twenty, minutes of 5-5 play. That should ensure that the shootout becomes less common.

and the NBA has its superstars playing in arenas home of very sucky teams.

I do not understand what you are trying to say. Please use English.

Since the NBA's marketing approach is mostly player-oriented, they don't mind scheduling games in March or April between teams with bona-fide superstars (Heat, Thunder, Clippers) playing at teams who've known they will hit the draft lottery in November (Kings, Bobcats, T-Wolves). The games are meaningless playoff-wise, yet they'll sell out because those arenas of sucky teams will be filled with LeBron, Durant, Kobe, Griffin and other player-centric fanboys.

Why do you have a problem with that?

The problem is that if you want to eliminate the tie from regular season hockey you need to have a shootout in there somewhere. You can't just play continuous OT periods like they do in the playoffs. You'll burn teams out to quickly. The best solution is to make the shootout a true last resort set-up. Expand the OT period to ten, or even twenty, minutes of 5-5 play. That should ensure that the shootout becomes less common.
Don't forget that making overtime a long-change period would raise scoring: more likely to catch a team in a change and get an odd-man rush.

Teemu Selanne plays his final game in Winnipeg tonight.

He was outside the Ducks team hotel signing autographs and taking pictures until 1:30 - 2 a.m. in the morning after the Ducks flight from Minnesota.

#TeemuForever

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived