2013-14 NHL Season: "We Are North American Scum"

Funky Bunky

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found the Flyers' trade of van Riemsdyk rather odd. Not as odd as Richards and Carter, but still a pretty bad idea. Second overall pick! For whom, Luke Schenn?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Valiant losses tonight for Miller (38/40) and Lehner (47/50).

Hawks are really taking their time to jell. Haven't won a game by more than a goal without an empty-netter. Haven't lost one by more than one goal, either, but they hurt all the same. Didn't feel like it on Wednesday night with the Blues, but it is, in fact, still just October. Things have to work themselves out. We should all try to remain measured about this whole thing as depth players get cycled in and out, up and down. Let the Avs burn out early, I say.

I just want to throw this out there while I can.

The Avs have scored 18 goals and given up only 4 in their first 5-0 start in their Colorado history.

I can't remember the last time one of my pro teams was 5-0. They have a lot of playmakers on offense, but the play of Varlamov and Giguere has really impressed me.

The Avs have scored 18 goals and given up only 4 in their first 5-0 start in their Colorado history.

I can't remember the last time one of my pro teams was 5-0. They have a lot of playmakers on offense, but the play of Varlamov and Giguere has really impressed me.

That's what I'm most impressed with. The offense hasn't surprised me, the excellent goaltending has.

That's what I'm most impressed with. The offense hasn't surprised me, the excellent goaltending has.

I'm sure head coach Patrick Roy and goaltending guru Francois Allaire have something to do with that :P

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

still just October.

Well, in fairness, we haven't had October hockey since 2011, so we're a bit out of our element right now regarding "early, likely irrelevant hockey games".

There will be some slips, Colorado will become the Wild from two years ago, and the Maple leafs will have a bad November/December to knock them out of the top spot like they always do.

Everything about that game was fantastic.

The jerseys, the in-arena presentation, the music, the graphics, and most importantly, the play on the ice.

Ducks are just full speed ahead on offense right now. It is so fun to watch. They just push and push and push. (Except the power play had been AWFUL. 1 for 21 on the season. 0/6 tonight. They either pass too much or shoot too early. It's just bad right now. Not that they've needed it thankfully, but yikes.)

Goaltending has been great. Defense has been very effective (Rookies Vatanen and Lindholm have more than held their own. And Allen has yet to be a liability. Much more effective than last season, so far. Although the Sens goal was his fault as he just simply left Bobby Ryan wide open.)

Franchise record 56 shots in regulation.

Just so much fun as the Mighty Ducks rode again

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

They already brought back the duck mask for shoulder patch purposes a while ago, so I really hope they can find a way to shoe-horn that Mighty Ducks set into an alternate set for some weekend games in the future, like the Kings with their forum blue/gold set.

No reason to have a merchandising gold mine and, well, just damn good looking uniform sitting around doing nothing.

spacer.png

The jerseys, the in-arena presentation, the music, the graphics, and most importantly, the play on the ice.

Ducks are just full speed ahead on offense right now. It is so fun to watch. They just push and push and push. (Except the power play had been AWFUL. 1 for 21 on the season. 0/6 tonight. They either pass too much or shoot too early. It's just bad right now. Not that they've needed it thankfully, but yikes.)

I wouldn't say awful, but I will say unlucky. They've had good movement, and if it wasn't for an amazing effort by Lehner, the Ducks would've had 2+ power play goals tonight.

I much rather have a team that's good even strength, and struggles on the powerplay, than the other way around.

I wouldn't say awful, but I will say unlucky. They've had good movement, and if it wasn't for an amazing effort by Lehner, the Ducks would've had 2+ power play goals tonight.

I much rather have a team that's good even strength, and struggles on the powerplay, than the other way around.

From what I could watch tonight and from the other games, the Ducks have seemed to dominate at times in the games.

The upstart Flames are next and the local media here in Calgary has a punny day whenever the Flames play in Anaheim because they haven't won there since forever ago.

IEI5Tg1.png

That was my favorite game I've ever been to. With the turnout of people wearing old/buying new Mighty merchandise, I wouldn't be surprised if they do this once a year or so.

I was surprised at the boos Bobby got. Maybe everyone was just too amped up on the eggplant to be sentimental. Also, Vatanen looked pretty bad. He was getting rocked whenever he got near the puck. Other than that Ottawa played like a bunch of poopy pants.

It's early, yes, but I may be preparing to inconspicuously tiptoe away from my Sens-win-the-Cup prediction.

There's a funny cognitive bias that goes into following the Jets, by the way. Every win feels huge, but you don't really think about the losses because you always expect them to lose. Suddenly the team has lost eight in a row and you don't think it's a big deal until you realize oops yeah it kinda is. Like tonight! GREAT shutout win over New Jersey! What a huge leap for the awful, awful Winnipeg goaltending! MONTOYA IS A GOOD JET TOO! Another strong performance after their Edmonton win! It brought them to...3-3!

That was my favorite game I've ever been to. With the turnout of people wearing old/buying new Mighty merchandise, I wouldn't be surprised if they do this once a year or so.

I was surprised at the boos Bobby got. Maybe everyone was just too amped up on the eggplant to be sentimental. Also, Vatanen looked pretty bad. He was getting rocked whenever he got near the puck. Other than that Ottawa played like a bunch of poopy pants.

Yeah, I don't know what the hell that was about. I clapped for him, and gave him a cheer as he left the ice for warmups (as many did then, not after the goal.)

He got traded, he didn't leave. He was a very productive player and, what I thought, was a fan favorite for a good time here in Anaheim. He finally got to take the stain off that #9, He was never a malcontent or said anything bad about Anaheim during his time here or since he was traded. I was actually very surprised he didn't get one of those "Welcome Back" video montages or even just a still frame for the fans to acknowledge him. I don't know. Whatever, I appreciated him. And I'll probably wear my Bobby Ryan USA jersey when I go see the Ducks in Ottawa later this month. (I would have worn it today, but ya know, Mighty Ducks and all.)

I did find it a little funny coincidence that Ryan, Perry, and Getzlaf all scored in that first period. It was like the productive days of the RPG line all over again.

And I agree, I don't think this is the last time they'll do this. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they did this at least one maybe twice more this season and hopefully once a year after that. It's so wildly popular. Like Kramerica said, it's a merchandising gold mine. They'd be stupid not to.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived