2013-14 NHL Season: "We Are North American Scum"

Funky Bunky

Starting to look like the Hawks are just those Penguins/Capitals teams that run up scores but are fundamentally unable to be truly elite.

One bad game and the Hawks are no longer "elite"? Give me a break.

They've had one win against a legitimate contender: that 5-1 win over the Sharks where the Sharks showed up half-asleep on a Sunday and didn't know what the hell they were doing. They haven't beaten St. Louis, they haven't beaten Colorado, they've dropped two to Minnesota, and they haven't beaten Anaheim in this calendar year. They've gotten fat on Winnipeg and the East but haven't stepped up big in any real playoff previews yet. Combine that with the worst penalty kill in the league that isn't the Islanders and it's more than a minor cause for concern. We'll see what happens tomorrow.
You're turning into Andy circa 2013 playoffs.

RT4abiF.gif

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See, that was a big statement win! Always good to see Dynasty In The Making lose like that, even if it was the end of a road trip for them and they probably didn't care.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Zetterberg, Helm, Abdelkader, Howard, Weiss, Dekeyser, and now Franzen. Hmm, I wonder why the Wings are having trouble winning games?

I'm still blaming it on Cleary and Samuelsson.

....and scheduling quirks.

Yeah, its a scheduling 15 & 20.

The stats show that this season they are better off without Howard if you look at his stats vs his backups stats. Also, the problem with Weiss is not that he is injured, but rather that he is on the team.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Red Wings injuries, whatever-the-hell-have-you, it pretty much shocks me that they have a 5-8-6 --> 5-14 home record this season, and I think that was with them winning their first three home games of the season. Fourteen of their last sixteen home decisions have gone in favor of their opponent. What the hell?

I mean, I'm as happy as anything that it didn't take the Lightning another 20 years to record a victory at the Joe, but, damn, the Red Wings just don't seem to have anything working in their favor right now. Loser points are what has that team sitting in a pretty comfortable situation with regard to the playoff race, and they'll need it.

Regarding Stephen Weiss - you can take Weiss out of Florida, but you can't take the Florida out of Weiss.

spacer.png

Yeah, Howard has not been able to get into a groove this year, and somehow Gustavsson has. No idea. Even though he's only had 2 starts, Mrazek looks promising, too.

And the home record thing is startling too. Thankfully the game I went to while I was in town was a W. Crazy to think I was at one of the 5 this year... We need scoring help badly, though. I think Babs summed it up perfectly on the 1st episode of 24/7 in saying that goaltending didn't matter when he got there because 3 goals a night was a standard night -- and now 3 goals is a damn good night. The fact that we're so reliant on Pasha and Z for scoring is really scary, and it makes losing guys like Helm, Abdelkader, and Franzen and their secondary scoring hurt a ton.

Though it sucks, I'm really interested to see the locker room dynamic through all this adversity (mostly to see if my suspicions about Babcock not being that great a motivator are true).

After last night's win over Edmonton (suck it J. Schultz B) ), Getzlaf has points in 16 straight games and the Ducks are now 13-0-2 at the Honda Center this season.

Cool moment from Teemu's goal last night as he had gotten advice from Kariya beforehand.

Even at 43 years old, Teemu Selanne will sometimes take a little advice from an old friend on how to get out of a slump. This time it happened to be former teammate Paul Kariya offering the advice.

The message?

"'Go to the net,'" Selanne recalled of the text he got from his former teammate. "'Good things happen.' He knows. But you need luck sometimes too. There's no secret. Sometimes you just can't buy the goal."

IEI5Tg1.png

Jackets wearing the alternates. Sure wish they would make them their permanent home unis. Looks so much better.

I like 'em too but they should at least save their current logo. It would be a shame to see it go.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

Isn't their best defenseman Jan Hejda? Not for real.

Maybe I shouldn't make light of this, but aw hell, it's the internet: if that sanctimonious asshat Shane Doan has his season or career ended by valley fever, a disease endemic to the American Southwest that he refused to leave, I won't be able to stop laughing for the rest of my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3doOAwyzyTI

What was I laughing at? Ah, yes! That infected Canadian!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Ah I was looking at the Ducks schedule. They'll only have played 15 home games this year before Xmas, their second half is going to be home heavy and they're the best home team in the league. Lucky them!

Even better they won't enter the Eastern Time Zone anymore, with Nashville being the farthest they travel East.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Ah I was looking at the Ducks schedule. They'll only have played 15 home games this year before Xmas, their second half is going to be home heavy and they're the best home team in the league. Lucky them!

I guess it is nice for the Ducks to be home again for the 2nd half of their season.

Archived