2013-14 NHL Season: "We Are North American Scum"

Funky Bunky

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blown third period leads are the worst thing ever. The Isles have to be on pace to set some kind of record in those. Seems like every close loss they've had involved blowing a 3rd period lead.

Actually, not that's not the worst thing ever. Having the worst team in the league (Buffalo excepted) a year after finally having an uplifting, optimistic season for the first time in 20+ years or something, THAT'S the worst thing ever. It's pretty damn mind-blowing how bad the Islanders are.

spacer.png

Some stats via Newsday on the Isles' 3rd period woes this year:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/isles-files-1.812028/9-blown-third-period-leads-for-isles-so-far-1.6633155 (paywall for non-Cablevision people)

-They've blown nine third period leads in 35 games this season.

-They are 2-2-5 in those games.

-Four of the nine were two-goal leads.

-They've given up the tying goal in the final minute of regulation three times.

-They've blown eight third period leads in 18 home games.

And speaking to my point about Eastern teams being a bunch of trogs, James Neal already picked up 7 PIMs in his first game back from kneeing a dude in the head. And he's a scorer!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

God :censored:ing dammit, why can't we have one nice thing Sens?

- Michalek's dead weight, he's a really good player, but he's a -20 with only 5 goals on the season. A season removed from an all-star appearance and a 30-goal season.

- Anderson has been playing well most of this time mind you, he just always ends up letting in two or more really sloppy goals a game, and the rest are often out of his control with our paper thin defense which finally came after everyone predicted this last year.

- And to go with that, we average three goals a game with Anderson in net, and just over 2 with Lehner in net. It explains why Lehner has such a bad record, while posting starter numbers

So to rap it up:

Needs to be playing: Wiercoch, Gryba, Lehner, Conacher, Hoffman, Puempel, Stone, Lazar

Needs to not be playing: Michalek, Anderson, Kassian, pretty much everyone except the first two lines, Pageau and Smith.

Also, whoever came up with #Fearless (the team slogan, placed literally EVERYWHERE) is an idiot.

And speaking to my point about Eastern teams being a bunch of trogs, James Neal already picked up 7 PIMs in his first game back from kneeing a dude in the head. And he's a scorer!

Five of those were a fight in response to being clipped, so...

oBIgzrL.png

Not sure about that call on the Kings. 5min for Kneeing and Game Misconduct for Dustin Brown. Looked like just a incidental collision, didn't see it in real time, but Drew said it was dirty. I don't always trust Remenda though. Hope Hertl is okay.

Barring any other penalties, a minute or so into the 2nd Period the Sharks will get a 3 minute Power Play. Now, since it's a shortened major due to the Burns penalty can the Sharks still score and stay on the Power Play or is it one and done? I'm blanking on this rule.

Drew did say that the hit wasn't as bad as it seemed when they showed the replay. Brown has done knees before(like the playoffs vs the Blues) so he hasn't exactly earned any benefit of the doubt though.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Drew did say that the hit wasn't as bad as it seemed when they showed the replay. Brown has done knees before(like the playoffs vs the Blues) so he hasn't exactly earned any benefit of the doubt though.

True, yeah I did hear him retract the initial dirty hit. Let's just hope the Sharks can score on the Power Play.

Not sure about that call on the Kings. 5min for Kneeing and Game Misconduct for Dustin Brown. Looked like just a incidental collision, didn't see it in real time, but Drew said it was dirty. I don't always trust Remenda though. Hope Hertl is okay.

Barring any other penalties, a minute or so into the 2nd Period the Sharks will get a 3 minute Power Play. Now, since it's a shortened major due to the Burns penalty can the Sharks still score and stay on the Power Play or is it one and done? I'm blanking on this rule.

It should be a continuous 3-minute power play. Major penalties always get served the full-length by the player, except for fighting (when it's the first stoppage of play after the five minutes elapse).

The NHL, if they really are gung-ho about increasing offense, should think about making players serve the entirety of their penalty, whether it be a minor or major. It would be some amount of incentive to not take a penalty, I'd think, if a team can score multiple goals on a full-length two-minute penalty.

I just hope the 2012 Kings aren't the 2008 Phillies in that they won the championship before their "window" opened, and not with their best overall team.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

time for my periodic update on my islanders:

they still suck, except they suck at a new record level...my god, this team is historically bad. EVERY year they have their annual Oct/Nov/Dec collapse that ends the season by xmas, this year the season was over before thanksgiving. only on the islanders do the coach and GM keep their jobs after losing 19 of 22 games..

stay tune for the next game for either: 1)embarrassing blow out loss, 2) a 1-0 shutout loss, 3) winning entire game and blow it in 3rd period with seconds left and lose, 4) winning entire game to blow it late and lose in shootout......all options continue our disaster course and we'll continue to see crapuano and shart snow kill the team, even though wang is the blood sucker of life involving anything with this hockey team.

Mets, Jets, Islanders

Archived